Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First time pronghorn

JDH

I am planning my first DIY Western hunt with my wife's uncle. It's always been his dream to hunt pronghorn and he helped my wife and I out with a place to live a couple years ago, so I am going to repay him with a free ride to Wyoming. I have been researching leftover units and I am thinking hard about Unit 26 as a second choice. I have 1 preference point and he has 0. Based on info from this site, I bought a paper map of the unit from gpshuntingmaps and notice there are a few (not many but a few) larger pieces that it looks like we can walk in a ways. Does anyone have any general thoughts about this unit? I have noticed many two tracks on BLM land and USFS- are these open to the public? Obviously, being from Indiana it has been hard to figure this public/private road stuff. Camping wise we can camp anywhere on the federal land but not State, correct? I also need to buy some gear but thats a whole different thread. And my last question is about hunter safety. I am young enough to need it for Wyoming. I have had it in Indiana. Is it reciprocal? Right now I can't offer much for advice but I will gladly help someone like me who decides to do this next year.

Anyway, I think my next step should be to call the county and get an up to date map of all the public roads. Does this sound like the right thing? I have officially passed that excitement stage about researching and am beginning to feel a little overwhelmed.

You will have an awesome hunt! I think it's pretty hard to NOT have a good hunt in WY when pursuing Antelope! I would have a good set of binoculars, a spotting scope, range finder, and good GPS with the WY map chip in it. Make sure you have a reliable vehicle with a spare tire and chains. Good Luck!!

Hunters safety is reciprocal so you're good there. I was just like you a couple years ago getting started pronghorn hunting. I haven't hunted this unit, but you can search the old posts as i'm sure people here have posted about it before. The 2 tracks on BLM and USFS are generally open to the public but there are exceptions so checking with the county and G&F is always a good idea. Sometimes vehicle travel is limited to county roads, especially if it's wet as the roads go to crap in a hurry. Probably lots of private land there too so you can check with the county if there are any landowners willing to let you pay a trespass fee if to hunt some private.
As far as gear, it could be 70 one day and snow a couple days later. Jeans and t-shirts are good one day then coats and warm clothes the next. I usually do fine throwing a jacket and a hooded sweatshirt in the truck and wear jeans or hunting pants with long underwear. Gloves are always a good idea too even if it's nice out as you'll probably crawl into something prickly if you put a stalk on one. You usually don't need a ton of gear for antelope hunting so just get out there and have a good time.
I'd also suggest you get the Wyoming chip for your gps so you always know if you're on public or private to keep yourself out of trouble.

Most all roads on BLM/USFS will be open to the public. Once you narrow down your unit you could call the office if you want to verify. However, be aware, that what shows as a road/two-track on a map may not be a public road as it crosses through private land. I found that one out the 'hard way'. There very well may be public land you can't drive or walk to. You're idea to call the county is a good one. You should have no problem camping on BLM/USFS, but like you state I'm pretty sure you cannot do so on State land. Yes, your hunter's ed from IN will work.

Since the site is still up, I'd also do some looking at the Walk In Areas and Hunter Management Areas programs. I am not familiar at all with 26, but there is a walk-in area listed for pronghorn in that unit. It'd also be worthwhile to compare the units with HMAs of good size to the draw statistics. That might give you some ideas on other units to consider. I've hunted a couple of different units on HMAs and have had very good luck!
http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/frmHunterManagementHome.aspx

PS- What part of Indiana do you call home?

I am west of Bloomington about 30 miles. I plan on getting a GPS chip. I have been using Google Earth and have put every USFS road I could find (that connects to a public highway) on there. I have drawn an outline for the WIA in that unit.
ShootsManyBullets, I looked at the weather there for opening week and couldn't believe the swings in temps. I thought Indiana was bad!
Our plan is to get there a couple days early to scout for opening day. That way we can be the ones to chase the goats to private after a blown stalk.
I really appreciate all the help, thanks again.

Good plan. You'll have some good ones located with a day or two of scouting. Definitely fun when you can just get out and hunt on opening day instead of burning hunting days looking for a spot to hunt. You're doing plenty of research and sound like you'll have it figured out before long.

I forgot to tell you - BE READY FOR LOTS OF WIND!

Looks like all of your questions have been answered, but if you have any more feel free to PM me I hunted that unit 2 years ago and plan on going there again this year. You will definitely have a blast. Good luck.

I am not familiar with 26, but to get an idea on what county roads are open to the public. Go to the county web site for the area you are looking at hunting. Look for GIS department and then county road map. That should give you a good idea what roads are open to the public and if you can access the public land.

Lots of great advise so far. I just did my first WY pronghorn hunt last fall and had all the questions you have and more ! what I learned,.. pouring over the map and creating a "milk run" did me no good because some of the so called roads I saw on the paper map and on the chip didn't even exist when I got there. My advise is just get out there and drive and walk and mark your map as you go as to where you see animals and which roads actually still exist and are accessible. Next tip: Watch Randy's and others videos showing the gutless method of skinning and quartering out your animal. I wore a 3500 cu. in. pack while hunting and my daughter wore a 1500 cu. in., take plenty of water in case you end up on a wild goose chase. We boned one antelope out and quartered the other one. We carried all of the meat out in my pack and she carried the head/cape. That worked well for us and saved us a trip back to the truck to get a game cart. Maybe others will chime in with a better system. I also should have spent more time behind the trigger. Enjoy the planning, the hunt will be a blast!!

How many days left til the season starts? Can't wait to start chasing those little buggers again.

All this antelope chatter is making me hungry for a good lope burger. Mmmmmmmm

I am west of Bloomington about 30 miles. I plan on getting a GPS chip. I have been using Google Earth and have put every USFS road I could find (that connects to a public highway) on there. I have drawn an outline for the WIA in that unit.
ShootsManyBullets, I looked at the weather there for opening week and couldn't believe the swings in temps. I thought Indiana was bad!
Our plan is to get there a couple days early to scout for opening day. That way we can be the ones to chase the goats to private after a blown stalk.
I really appreciate all the help, thanks again.
Neat country in that part of the state. Unlike where I live, it has some topography...

Sounds like to me you are about 90% of the way there. Good luck!

Hey neighbor,

I hunted 26 this past fall, paid to hunt private land the entire time though. Thinking I may go back this year and try the public land route.. There were small chunks of BLM scattered all through the ranch I was hunting that were connected to a public road. Granted, these were very small, usually 500 acre chunks or so, but it is my understanding that there are some large HMA's that connect to more BLM land in the area. A HUNT GPS map, as others suggested, would be of huge benefit in this unit.

If you need a list of landowners in that unit, the Casper Chamber of Commerce can get you one, or PM me and I can e-mail you a copy.

Like most of Wyoming I've been through, saw tons of goats and got a decent buck the first day. Also saw a few deer, including a couple decent bucks if you wanted to pick up a deer license just in case.

Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to ask for a landowner list when I call Converse county for a public road map. I had wondered if there were deer in the unit but didn't want to push my luck and try to fit it in during our hunt.

There were good numbers on the ranch I was hunting, can't speak for anywhere else in the unit. They were only visible at dawn and dusk, they stay hidden most of the day.

Remember, most of Antelope 26 is Deer 22, it is a limited quota tag but easy draw.

IMO, it is worth the expense of the tag just in case, when you are coming all the way from Indiana...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back