Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First time hunter rifle

wyoelkfan15

I have a friend who is getting into hunting. She will be trying for deer and antelope this year. She has shot my .270 win but seems pretty gun shy on it.

Does anyone have suggestions on a good rifle/caliber for a first time hunter? I was looking at something like a TC Encore in .243.

Thanks

I have a friend who is getting into hunting. She will be trying for deer and antelope this year. She has shot my .270 win but seems pretty gun shy on it.

Does anyone have suggestions on a good rifle/caliber for a first time hunter? I was looking at something like a TC Encore in .243.

Thanks
25.06. I have introduced a few people to hunting and all seem to like that gun for its lower recoil but great killing capacity.

Cartridge of choice for beginner who is already showing recoil concerns who will be shooting antelope and deer seems to be .243. Many entry level guns will do the trick - ruger american, savage model 10, weatherby vanguard series 2 (essentially a Howa 1500) or upgrade a little to tikka T3X.

Sir, I can not over emphasize the importance of "fit". Weatherby, who is in your neck of the woods, makes a nice rifle--for women.

practice, practice, practice and not just for accuracy--she needs to know and feel comfortable shooting her rifle.

Dont start her off with something that is going to create a possible automatic flinch---start with a 22 and shoot it and shoot it and shoot it--ammo is cheap, and shooting a 22 can be good practice, even fun, and it needs to be fun.

A 243 is enough for deer and antelope, then maybe a 7mm-08 ( I also believe Weatherby makes one for women in the Creedmore, but since I have never owned one, I can not speak to that caliber )

If you get one of the European rifles made for women, I would then recommend the 6,5 x 55 and IMHO the Swede s an excellent caliber and more than enough for the animals she will be hunting.

Start with less, not more and as she gains comfort and confidence then get her a larger caliber, when she says ' I want to hunt moose and brown bear"

Bought my wife a Weatherby Vanguard Camilla in 6.5 CM for Christmas, she absolutely loves it! Named after Roy Weatherby's wife Camilla. The ergonomics of the stock is specifically designed for female shooters, and has a 13" LOP. It also has a shorter barrel and balances very nicely. The Camilla is also available in 243.

Another vote for .243. Bought my first one ( a Ruger M77) in early 70's. Tack driver and fun to hunt. I do not know if Ruger quality is a good as it was almost 50 years ago.

Did not go with a larger caliber until I drew an oryx tag and started apply for elk.

I like the points about the Weatherby stock for the Camilla is designed for women. A rifle that fits makes the shooter feel comfortable and could be the deciding factor in whether the shooter enjoys shooting.

I own a Ruger American .243win and love it. Great starter rifle with an extremely light recoil. I also own a 7mm-08 and it has a mild recoil. You can find a reduced recoil round for the 7mm-08 in a 120 gr. Another option is to get her a recoil pad for target shooting and see if that helps. Aside from that I would follow all the advice that everyone has shared so far. Good luck

Personally I'd go with a 6.5 or 7mm-08. Then I'd put a good recoil pad on it. I also would go with a slightly heavier rifle. Add weight to the stock if needed. When I was 12 I carried an old 10lbs 30-06 my dad gave me and the recoil was mild. I can find 2lbs to get rid of in my pack so I can carry a slightly heavier rifle than shoot a sharp recoiling gun.

Also one thing we did for the other half was get her a shooting vest with a nice pad on her shoulder. It helped significantly. Now she enjoys shooting more. Best $50 I ever spent

I agree with Europe that fit is probably the most important characteristic to a rifle. I agree with all cartridges recommended also. She could even get a 308 and use the reduced recoil loads that are readily available and if she wants to graduate to bigger game she'll be set.

Pretty tough to beat a .243 Win. I would look into the 6mm and 6.5mm Creed's as well. The .260 suggested is a great cartridge. If you're a reloader, it's a viable option. If you're not, I'd pass on it as ammo just isn't available very often anymore. And when it is, there are usually a lot better bullet choices out there.

But, if she shoots your .270 well and likes it. Get her one of those. It's a great round.

Have you considered a .308 Win? My wife shoots one and she shoots it very well. It has the same capabilities as a 30-06 out to about 250 to 300 yards, great selection of ammo, and you can find shells just about anywhere. I'd find a friend with one and let her try one out before deciding. Also, I agree with Europe, fit is very important. Especially with recoil.

Again...
Listen to Europe...

My daughter is also very recoil shy.
She prefers my Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts over the first gen Weatherby Vangard in 243, (she traded that rifle in on a bow) and my Stevens 200 in 250 Savage.

The Ruger fit her better, and was a little heavier.

I'd give .243 serious consideration. That's what I started my wife on. She shoots a .270 now and does great with it. I'm not sure how well she'd have done starting out with it.

I've certainly not gotten caught up in the 6.5 CM craze, never shot one either, but I'd imagine it's pretty friendly on tue shoulder. Less so than a .270 anyway.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back