First Test With Hammers.

Qubo

Did my first load test with Hammer bullets and all I have to say is wow. Did the 10 shot charge ladder and I am very pleased with how they grouped even at different charge weights. Also shot 4 fouling rounds to start at the same charge weight and they were less than MOA. I am fairly new to reloading and this is my first time using a chronograph, and my first time doing the 10 shot method (I did 12). Hope to get some advice for the next step. I am trying to decide if I should just go with 69.5 and test that as my charge or maybe go more in depth and shoot 3 shot groups of like 69.5, 69.7, and 70, then compare both the velocities of those and the groups. What do you all think?
I’m shooting 300wm, Nosler brass, Federal 210 primers, IMR4451 powder, and 166gr Shock Hunters.FAFFE8B2-9330-4365-9D96-4BEE3D984B95.png

Last edited:
Not sure, I've never done a ladder test & my chrono is a POS Chrony! :)

That being said, I would check the cases for signs of pressure. Any ejector marks on the case heads? Evidence of flattened primers? Hard extraction? If any of these occurred, that might be your end point. Then I would load up 3 of each charge to determine which charge groups best.

Beyond that, I would measure the magazine to determine the maximum cartridge overall length. If room allowed, I would try different seating depths to optimize the load once I had determined which charge grouped best.

Good luck with it!

Steve from Hammer recommends working up until you reach pressure then backing off a grain from that and see how it groups. Like the question above, did you reach any of the pressure signs @Curvebow mentioned?

Ok. I checked for pressure signs as I went and didn’t have any. I only loaded up to 70.5 because Hodgdon had that listed as max for that powder. But they didn’t have load data for copper bullets and I know you can go a little higher. I saw Steve’s post and talked to him on the phone actually. I just was scared of going over listed max being a new reloader. Do you think I should? And seating depth wise I started .020 of the lands and plan to just work backwards from there if need be. That is Steve’s recommendation. It fits my mag just fine.

Ok. I checked for pressure signs as I went and didn’t have any. I only loaded up to 70.5 because Hodgdon had that listed as max for that powder. But they didn’t have load data for copper bullets and I know you can go a little higher. I saw Steve’s post and talked to him on the phone actually. I just was scared of going over listed max being a new reloader. Do you think I should? And seating depth wise I started .020 of the lands and plan to just work backwards from there if need be. That is Steve’s recommendation. It fits my mag just fine.
I would. Just work up slowly and look for signs. I stop when bolts get sticky. I bet you could squeeze more velocity out of it and maintain accuracy.

Or, call it good at 69.5, and see how it shoots. 3172 fps isn’t slow.

Since you talked to Steve, I'd follow his recommendation and just keep checking for pressure signs.

Typo in my first post. I am shooting the Shock Hammers, not the Hunters. I don’t shoot at anything over 400 yards and can’t get to a range over 500. My shorter shotting makes me think I should save an additional trip to the range an hour away and go with the 69 to 70 range. But my curiosity makes me want to try more charge. Steve did guess I’d be around 3,250 when done. Is there any concern about burning the barrel up faster going higher charge weights? I don’t need the additional speed so don‘t want to keep going if it will shorten barrel life. This is a factory rifle.

I’d bet 69.7 is your huckleberry and will hold the lowest SD and smallest groups at the widest range of altitude and temperature. I’ve used the same method of developing long range loads for years and it flat works. Your own data says likely that charge will shoot, if anything play with seating. No point in wasting components in this day and age chasing speed you don’t need. I wouldn’t even be chasing that speed in a comp gun let alone a hunting rifle.

If you're happy with the accuracy of any of those charge weights, I'd load a few more of the most accurate up and re-test them to make sure it's not a fluke. Small sample sizes can do that. If it performs how you'd like, I not worry about chasing a few more fps. The additional powder/fps that you might get is not going to shorten barrel life in any appreciable way.

Speed is king when shooting monos. And Hammers produce more speed than other copper bullets. Pushing them hard is good. mtmuley

Sure, but consistent pressure increase over 4 gr of ladder before finding a classic .5 gr flat spot with 1 FPS variation tells me op will hit pressure before he finds the next node. Maybe not, but I doubt the 400 yard animal he speaks of will know the possible 50-100 FPS op might pick up. What’s the thing traveling at 400 with a mv of 3170? 24-2500? Is there a difference? I mean sure if your bored and the shelves are stocked with 210’s, 4451, and 300 wm brass knock yourself out. But IMO sorta like leaving elk to find elk. You already got what your looking for in front of you.

Sure, but consistent pressure increase over 4 gr of ladder before finding a classic .5 gr flat spot with 1 FPS variation tells me op will hit pressure before he finds the next node. Maybe not, but I doubt the 400 yard animal he speaks of will know the possible 50-100 FPS op might pick up. What’s the thing traveling at 400 with a mv of 3170? 24-2500? Is there a difference? I mean sure if your bored and the shelves are stocked with 210’s, 4451, and 300 wm brass knock yourself out. But IMO sorta like leaving elk to find elk. You already got what your looking for in front of you.
Hmmm... Don't you push Bergers bit? mtmuley

Hmmm... Don't you push Bergers bit? mtmuley

When I was younger and dumber, not that I’m much smarter now. I’ve definitely chased some speed, probably at the expense of a some reduced barrel life and enough components to put another kid thru college. Fwiw of the 6 rifles I’m shooting regularly right now, half are running loads that are 50-100 FPS slower than what “people” say they are getting. The data don’t lie. it sounds like hammers shoot no matter what, if speed was my goal and I only planned to shoot 400 I would just load to pressure and back off a couple tenths, why do a ladder test? Even a 2 moa load Will have a 100% probability of hitting the vitals of deer size game at that range with the correct dope.

I just settled on a load for my 300 with 166gr hunter’s. Not near my computer but pretty sure I’m at 69.5gr Reloader 19 and getting 3160fps. I’m sure I could go a bit more but getting 5 shot groups at around .75 Moa. Once components get easier to come by I may fiddle some more but for now I’m happy with what I have.

When I was younger and dumber, not that I’m much smarter now. I’ve definitely chased some speed, probably at the expense of a some reduced barrel life and enough components to put another kid thru college. Fwiw of the 6 rifles I’m shooting regularly right now, half are running loads that are 50-100 FPS slower than what “people” say they are getting. The data don’t lie. it sounds like hammers shoot no matter what, if speed was my goal and I only planned to shoot 400 I would just load to pressure and back off a couple tenths, why do a ladder test? Even a 2 moa load Will have a 100% probability of hitting the vitals of deer size game at that range with the correct dope.
I'll admit I still chase speed. My biggest obstacle when loading monos was dropping bullet weight from what I thought I should be using. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back