First Test With Hammers.

Well just getting back to the start of this thread, I did some more testing and didn’t go as planned. All these speed talk got the best of me and I decided to do a little of both. I loaded up 3 more steps of charge weight. I also loaded up three at 69.7 and the speeds weren’t bad but not great. They also weren’t what I expected based on previous testing. Also the first two were 3/4” grouped but the 3rd was 5’’ high. Oddest thing about that is I shot the higher charges and they also were 5in high. But nothing changed about my scope or gun or turrets. I really don’t know why they suddenly got high. The grouping my increased charges wasn’t bad. Also my scale was being a little finicky when I was loading but I started over and triple checked every weight. But it doesn’t help my confidence. Here is what I got.

69.7=3186,3212,3218 This is higher than what previous testing made me think.
SD=17
ES=32

I loaded three more steps in my ladder. Just single shot. No signs of pressure even with my Nosler brass, which Steve says is soft and shows signs early. I think I’ll load up three each of 71.5 and 72 and just pick one. I like how close they are. May also throw in 71.7 for good measure.

71=3270
71.5=3299
72=3315

Is this to fast?

Well just getting back to the start of this thread, I did some more testing and didn’t go as planned. All these speed talk got the best of me and I decided to do a little of both. I loaded up 3 more steps of charge weight. I also loaded up three at 69.7 and the speeds weren’t bad but not great. They also weren’t what I expected based on previous testing. Also the first two were 3/4” grouped but the 3rd was 5’’ high. Oddest thing about that is I shot the higher charges and they also were 5in high. But nothing changed about my scope or gun or turrets. I really don’t know why they suddenly got high. The grouping my increased charges wasn’t bad. Also my scale was being a little finicky when I was loading but I started over and triple checked every weight. But it doesn’t help my confidence. Here is what I got.

69.7=3186,3212,3218 This is higher than what previous testing made me think.
SD=17
ES=32

I loaded three more steps in my ladder. Just single shot. No signs of pressure even with my Nosler brass, which Steve says is soft and shows signs early. I think I’ll load up three each of 71.5 and 72 and just pick one. I like how close they are. May also throw in 71.7 for good measure.

71=3270
71.5=3299
72=3315

Is this to fast?
If you haven't hit pressure, I'd push it till you do, then take Steve's advice of backing down a bit and shooting for groups. I have some 124 grain Hammers on the way. Gonna load them in my RUM. I'll let you know how fast is too fast. mtmuley

If you haven't hit pressure, I'd push it till you do, then take Steve's advice of backing down a bit and shooting for groups. I have some 124 grain Hammers on the way. Gonna load them in my RUM. I'll let you know how fast is too fast. mtmuley
starshiptroopers.jpg

The petals on Hammer bullets shear in most instances. The larger than caliber shank keeps penetrating. mtmuley
You put me on to Hammers, and those are what I will be using this fall in my .375 RUM, so right now my only experience with them is on paper.

So my question is: If the petals shear off and the shank doesn't mushroom, how is the shank larger than caliber?

You put me on to Hammers, and those are what I will be using this fall in my .375 RUM, so right now my only experience with them is on paper.

So my question is: If the petals shear off and the shank doesn't mushroom, how is the shank larger than caliber?
The front of it is expanded relative to the original diameter. Maybe 30% more or so.

I'm starting to see the effectiveness of light for caliber monos pushed really fast. We'll see. mtmuley

4000?

Doable I bet. A member on Hammers site from Australia has been wrecking critters with the little bullet. Big critters. I've pushed a 125 Ballistic Tip almost 4000. Speed kills. I'm beginning to see it. mtmuley
Think I’ll stick with the 181 hammer this year. But wife will be launching the 124 in a 6.5-06 for her elk this year

Think I’ll stick with the 181 hammer this year. But wife will be launching the 124 in a 6.5-06 for her elk this year
If I draw an antelope tag, I'm shooting the 124 as fast as it will go. The results the member on Hammers site are hard to argue with. On big animals no less. mtmuley

If I draw an antelope tag, I'm shooting the 124 as fast as it will go. The results the member on Hammers site are hard to argue with. On big animals no less. mtmuley
257 weatherby still has the fastest kills on deer and antelope I’ve had. Id assume the 124 at 4K would be extremely impressive.

Killed a couple coyotes with my .257 bee this spring. 90 gr. absolutes running about 3960, I know it was just coyotes, but it was pretty impressive. Impact rolled them and they were drt. Farming has gotten in the way, and I haven’t done any more loading since March, but we’ve gotten all the irrigation put out now (been laying pipe since I was 12 mtmuley😉), so I’m gonna start back up trying to exceed 4000.

Last edited:
Killed a couple coyotes with my .257 bee this spring. 92 gr. absolutes running about 3960, I know it was just coyotes, but it was pretty impressive. Impact rolled them and they were drt. Farming has gotten in the way, and I haven’t done any more loading since March, but we’ve gotten all the irrigation put out now (been laying pipe since I was 12 mtmuley😉), so I’m gonna start back up trying to exceed 4000.
90 gr Absolutes right?

The 92gr Hunters are clocking 3460 from my .257 Bee 700. Pushed em faster but groups bloomed. Pushed some 178 Absolutes from the .30 RUM in the 3600’s but pressure. Settled on 3380 w/181 Hunters.

Good projectiles and tech support.

Fixed it. I bet you might find another node with the hunters going faster. Looking at load data on LRH for the absolutes, you should probably be able to find a load around 3800 with the hunters.( I know I’m a speed junky 🤷‍♂️) I haven’t done much group work with the absolutes yet. I just stopped and sighted in to play with them like a kid with a new toy! Now that I’m getting caught up I will get back to work on load developement. That being said, when I was trying to find pressure for three different rifles the absolutes seemed to have an accuracy node near max pressures and velocities. I‘ve got a lot more work to do with them though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back