Caribou Gear

First Rifle

I'm curious to know how old everybody was when they got their first rifle. I'm having a debate with my wife about getting our son a .22lr and couldn't think of a better place to pose this question. If memory serves me correctly I was 9 when I got one for Christmas. Obviously I wasn't allowed to use it, or even touch it, without my dad or grandpa being around and I remember my mom wasn't happy about it. I know each kid is different and there are a ton of variables to consider, I'm just curious what other people's experiences have been.

You’re right, it is kid dependent. I think I was 9 also. A single shot bolt 22 was a sweet Christmas present that year. Perfect rifle to learn on also. What state do you live in? In some states he could already take hunters ed if that would help the process. I know some states are offering it on-line right now. I get it’s not the best system, but it’s better than nothing.

In my state you can hunt at 10 yrs old. I got a shotgun at Christmas right before I turned 10. My brother bought my daughter a pink red rider bb gun at 6 yrs old, wife was not happy!

Why, because it was pink? I hate this gender specific camo and color bullshit. Pink camo??? I guess it’s effective in Nordstrom’s... 😂

You’re right, it is kid dependent. I think I was 9 also. A single shot bolt 22 was a sweet Christmas present that year. Perfect rifle to learn on also. What state do you live in? In some states he could already take hunters ed if that would help the process. I know some states are offering it on-line right now. I get it’s not the best system, but it’s better than nothing.
We’re in Missouri and I’ve taken him shooting several times. He actually killed his first deer last fall. In Missouri there is a youth rifle season during the first of November and kids over 6 can go with a parent/guardian/mentor hunter. I was just thinking about getting him his first rifle that was truly his.

We’re in Missouri and I’ve taken him shooting several times. He actually killed his first deer last fall. In Missouri there is a youth rifle season during the first of November and kids over 6 can go with a parent/guardian/mentor hunter. I was just thinking about getting him his first rifle that was truly his.

On a side note, that youth rifle portion normally happens mid to late October. It's to give it more separation from regular season and encourage more participation without "spooking deer". Great time to be out in the woods, though, since it almost never snows by then.

I went from a BB gun at 7 to a pellet at 9, then right to a 308 at 11 when I started hunting. Didn't have my first 22 until this year.

I've been teaching my nephew to shoot the BB gun, and he is 5. I'd say 8 or 9 for a 22 is plenty old enough.

I forgot about a BB gun. Still have mine..

BB gun was around 8, .22 at 11, SKS at 13. It was the cheapest rifle I could find in my area good enough for deer at the time.

On a side note, that youth rifle portion normally happens mid to late October. It's to give it more separation from regular season and encourage more participation without "spooking deer". Great time to be out in the woods, though, since it almost never snows by then.
This year in Missouri it starts on October 31 and ends November 1st, last year was November 2nd and 3rd. There may me a season in October also but the last several years it has been pretty close to the first weekend in November.

Attachments

• F69A84F8-89F0-41E9-AE85-FAE8A7782A48.png
    F69A84F8-89F0-41E9-AE85-FAE8A7782A48.png
    498.5 KB · Views: 1
Got my daughter the pink red rider when she was 4 and the pink cricket 22 the following year. She has killed deer every year since she was 7 years old. That stage when she was was between 5 and 7 she must have honestly shot close to 1000 rounds with my 17hmr off a bipod sitting at 50 & 100 yrds. At least that what it seemed like as I was buying bullets weekly! I bought her a beretta o/u 20ga when she was 9 and in no time she was breaking birds constantly. Get them started early!

I didn't get my "own" rifle until I was in my 30's. We had a single shot family .22 that you could shoot when you could buy some ammo and were strong enough to pull back the deal on the end of the action to @#)(# it. We moved into town when I was in the 6th grade and I remember shooting it before then. I remember holding that thing between my legs and pulling back on the little deal that cocked it with both hands. I'm not sure I was supervised or not.

My dad started to take me shooting when I was 7 or so. I got my first own gun when I was 12; a Winchester Ranger 12 Ga pump that I still use to this day (35 years later).
I got my sons a .22 youth gun when my oldest was 8 and my youngest 6. Of course, they could only plink with it while I was there.

i didnt grow up in a hunting or shooting family, but both my brother and i got the itch. My grandfather gave us each a 308 remington 788 that he bought for my dad and uncle plenty of years ago, but they never took to hunting. we both still have them, my brother put a scope on his, i left the iron sights on mine. each of us harvested an animal this year with those guns.

My first of my very own rifle...I was 12. A Marlin 22. I also got a 12ga 870 the same year.

My first deer rifle that was my own, not borrowed, I was 18. I bought it about 1hr after the last person left my H.S. Grad party. It was a Ruger M77 MKII, 30-06. Should have kept that rifle.

I wish I could find the picture of me standing in my front yard all pudgy with my sweat pants pulled up above my belly button on Christmas morning when I was eight, holding my first rifle--a Marlin bolt action 22lr. Apparently my dad bought it for me without my mom knowing about it, and she was pretty pissed.
Found it, though the sweat pants aren’t nearly as embarrassing as I remember.
5C7877CF-CEFF-4999-8138-1B88CCE5A008.jpeg
That was a good Christmas.

My first was a model 94 Winchester 30-30. I believe its a '61. Got it from my grandpa at the tender age of about 6. Shot it a bunch with my dad. Harvested a few deer with it when I was old enough to. Have packed it around the mountains on trail rides for a bunch of years.

Winchester 1300 when I was in 5th grade. It was an early Christmas present from my dad the night before opening day of deer season.

It's funny, growing up dogs and guns were "Family Things" and if you wanted your own you had to go get it yourself. The gun closet had no lock on it but I had to ask dad each time for the specific weapon until he said "Sure, any time". I shot my great grandfather's Model 64 25-35 WCF until I ponied up my money to buy a .300 Win Mag at age 16 from the local gunsmith.

I got my first .22 at 10 and my first shotgun, a single shot 20 gauge, the next Christmas right before I turned 11. I was then given my dad's 30-06 when I was 12, in preparation for my first year of hunting.

Now that Idaho let's youth start hunting big game at 10, I finally got my wife talked into letting me get the kids a .22 when they turn 8 and get a rifle when they turn 10, we have got them 7mm-08 and they have been great for the younger kids.

Red Ryder when I was 5 or 6?
.22 single shot at 8.
.20 gauge single shot at 10.
.22-250 at 12. Killed my first buck with it that year.
Still have all of them except the Red Ryder.

Living on a farm had some advantages.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back