MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Pronghorn hunt...any suggestions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

Hello,

I will be going on my first antelope hunt this October out in South Dakota. I've hunted deer out in the same area. I know the land pretty well. There is a ton of public land out tgere. Does anyone have recommendations and/or tips for antelope hunting? Thanks!

Great optics, nice flat-shooting rifle, good mapping program or good maps, good walking boots to get away from road, find a rested animal if possible (antelope are fantastic table fare if meat care is done right), knee pads for crawling through cactus, coolers full of ice for meat storage, and have a helluva good time!!

Probably not all that helpful but good luck to you!

Which unit you are applying for? Some areas are pretty difficult to draw for non-res. The draw is still a couple weeks out. I assume you have a nice rifle. Optics and walking boots are my most important gear items. I say that and next thing you know, you will see one 100 yards off the gravel. Super fun. Fishn4eyes mentions knee pads too. I have gone both ways. I can tell you there is a lot of cactus and they do help. I bring coolers full of ice each day I go.

You can get surprisingly close to antelope by getting on your hands and knees. It doesn’t seem to spook them nearly as much as belly crawling does at times. A white handkerchief ties to a stick is a good tactic.

It sounds like you already know the area and rather or not cactus is an issue, even without cactus problems I really like pants that you can use the knee pad inserts. Make sure you have a camera so you can share pics with those of us who can't seem to draw a pronghorn tag. If you get one that you want to taxidermy be careful with the cape, the hair seems to pull out very easily. One last thing, if you use those Havalon knives they work well, but if you slip and stick it in your knee it goes right in and sticks in the bone.

Look at a ton of bucks. They can be tough to judge but the more ones you look at the more fun the hunt will be.

I have never been antelope hunting but my Grandpa used to go alot. I remember him telling me not to get upset if you see one and it takes off because there's a good chance it or another one will end up coming through that area again. Not sure if there's any truth to that but it's one theory lol.

Use a rangefinder! Wide open spaces+an animal that is significantly smaller than a healthy MN deer=difficulty in range estimation and likely missing. I've seen shots sailed way over the back of a goat at 200 yards that a guy thought was over 400, and vice versa.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a tack-driving 6.5 cm, leupold cds and a good rangefinder. I like the white bandana and knee pads. I will have to try those out! I really appreciate all of the suggestions!

Which unit you are applying for? Some areas are pretty difficult to draw for non-res. The draw is still a couple weeks out. I assume you have a nice rifle. Optics and walking boots are my most important gear items. I say that and next thing you know, you will see one 100 yards off the gravel. Super fun. Fishn4eyes mentions knee pads too. I have gone both ways. I can tell you there is a lot of cactus and they do help. I bring coolers full of ice each day I go.

I have three preference points. Past draw statistics show 2+ PP have a 80% draw odds. I'm banking on drawing!

Let us know how it goes. I'll be particularly interested as I have been buying SD antelope points for a few years now. I've never been, but I'll be going for my first time this year. I've not seen anybody mention it, but I'll be bringing a spotting scope to help judge them better and maybe save some walking. Good luck out there.

I was talking to a younger gent at the Iowa state fair yesterday who happened to be from eastern SD. He says that they are having a good year rainwise and that the lope population is recovering. On past trips thru there, I've never seen the east of White River, but this year around Memorial Day I did.

Didn't draw! 2 + PP for NR went down to 25%! Holy smokes! Oh well, there is always next year!

Check every little depression or fold in the terrain, I've glassed right over the top of herds before in what seemed like very flat terrain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back