First hand Covid symptoms

Looking at the crowds at NFL playoffs last night and shaking my head. There's a bomb ready to explode. Wow!

Some of you may remember last year when I warned that the next time COVID came through it would be a different critter. Same warning again. Next time it may spread quicker AND be more deadly. The sooner we can get to herd immunity, the more defense we'll have. Do your part. Get vaxed.
Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday. Herd immunity likely isn’t possible. Just like we don’t really have it with the flu.

Last edited:
Update from us:

Wife and I are still experiencing runny noses then total congestion, trouble sleeping ( her more than me), coughing during the evening. Weird as it comes and goes. My wife is at day 13 from positive test, I am at day 9 or 10 ( I can't keep track anymore). I worked in the shop this weekend forging some gifts on the anvil swinging the hammer and I felt normal.

Kids are all good. No issues. Last two went to school today.

Update to my youngest daughter's family; their oldest now back in school, other two kids fine, SIL fine, however daughter now positive. Ran fever a couple of days, now fever free, working from home.

I've no idea what the communicability of this 'milder' variant is. It's confusing...

Whole family had what we assume was C19 last week. Have not tested but I lost my sense of smell again and most of my sense of taste. This along with the fact that almost 100% of my boys hockey team along with their parents were sick as well and everyone of them that tested came up positive leads me to believe we would have as well. Son lost smell as well. His is back mine still gone. Whole family other than wife had similar symptoms. Runny nose, slight cough, slight congestion, chills for about 3 hours one night. All symptoms gone after 2-3 days except for my sense of smell. Wife only got a slight headache. Whole family unvaxed. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to all.

I found two pack covid test kits @ Walgreens - may give you a better guide w/o making a large hassle of Medical facility and mixing with those who are more likely to have covid. I believe they have 1 and 2 tests w/in. I believe for this one, I paid $20. Figured my way to self test.
Anyhow, for what it's worth.

*side note on my wife: she's feeling a bit better lot of nasal throat draining, etc. Seems best for her recovery was Nyquil type throat coating and help her sleep.

View attachment 209444
Just so you know, it has been proven that the home rapid antigen test gives false results more often than not. Be careful making any decisions based on them.

Over Christmas my wife got the omi variant from her family. She was fine other than her head feeling foggy. She had the J&J vax about 6 months ago. The kids and I didn’t end up getting it from her, even though we didn’t take any precautions other than washing our hands more often. I did get the Moderna booster a week prior to this, which may have been the ticket to keep me safe (I had zero side effects from the booster other than a sore arm).
Update - my daughter came down with it over the weekend (3 years old). So far just a low grade fever and tired of being kept inside. Tested negative again even though we have been around each other a bunch the last few days. The 6 year old boy is also negative so far (I’m vaxed and boosted, he has none).

Just so you know, it has been proven that the home rapid antigen test gives false results more often than not. Be careful making any decisions based on them.

My response was to a poster who stated symptoms that MAY relate to a cold, the flu, allergies, etc, - "runny nose".
A covid antigen test is very effective.

Antigen tests are not very effective when symptoms are not present (asymptomatic).

"Compared with real-time reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing, the Sofia antigen test had a sensitivity of 80.0% and specificity of 98.9% among symptomatic persons; accuracy was lower (sensitivity 41.2% and specificity 98.4%) when used for screening of asymptomatic persons." - CDC

Medical understanding of "Sensitivity" and "Specificity":

"In medical diagnosis, test sensitivity is the ability of a test to correctly identify those with the disease (true positive rate), whereas test specificity is the ability of the test to correctly identify those without the disease (true negative rate)"

I found two pack covid test kits @ Walgreens - may give you a better guide w/o making a large hassle of Medical facility and mixing with those who are more likely to have covid. I believe they have 1 and 2 tests w/in. I believe for this one, I paid $20. Figured my way to self test.
Anyhow, for what it's worth.

*side note on my wife: she's feeling a bit better lot of nasal throat draining, etc. Seems best for her recovery was Nyquil type throat coating and help her sleep.

View attachment 209444
thanks a ton! By the way Nyquil was my go to also for sleep and it worked like a charm. Hope the wife recovers quickly for a smooth transition.

thanks a ton! By the way Nyquil was my go to also for sleep and it worked like a charm. Hope the wife recovers quickly for a smooth transition.

Another side note: they charge an arm and a leg (MT $250, MN $145 - Insurance said they cover the full $. Will find out soon enough), though my insurance covers the cost (edit: Actually, considering this further, I paid more w/ insurance for my ER covid visit $50 - haha!), the two most recent tests I had, a few days ago and today, were done in an isolated "drive thru" fashion. (RT-PCR). I remained in my driver's seat, while the nurse swabbed my nose, practically tickling my toes. Haha!

I went to a hospital ER in Virginia and placed in a "Red zone" when I had hellish symptoms a couple months back. I understand what you mean about hospital settings...
Going there to see IF I have covid and placed in a separate room for people suspected to have... felt very uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with long covid? I had Covid over christmas and felt pretty much back normal after 3 weeks, but this week i feel like I've regressed a little bit. Feeling a little tight in the chest and having somewhat of a dry cough and kind of out of breathe from stuff I normally wouldn't be out of breath from. Not bad, but I feel like its not in my head at this point either.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with long covid? I had Covid over christmas and felt pretty much back normal after 3 weeks, but this week i feel like I've regressed a little bit. Feeling a little tight in the chest and having somewhat of a dry cough and kind of out of breathe from stuff I normally be out of breath from. Not bad, but I feel like its not in my head at this point either.
Yep. I am on day 22 or 21 since symptoms started. I feel fine but I have a dry cough now all the time. Sucks.

I got covid in August and was in the hospital for 14 days, 4 of them in ICU. I'm 37. I'll skip all the other stuff, but I still have a dry cough (could be from other colds too that I have gotten from the kids being in school and daycare). I notice it most in the mornings.

Unfortunately I still get the migraines. Never had a migraine in my life until I had Covid in November. Was getting them like 3+ days a week. Down to about once a week.

I thought I had it right before Christmas. I had all the classic symptoms and even got quarrantined when I went in to be tested. They tested for COVID, flu and RSV. In my case it turned out to be RSV and then the wife got it too. We both think we had COVID around February of last year but back then they were just starting to test for it. There is no reliable antibody test (according to my doctor) that will not yield false positives or we would do that to confirm if we had it before. Current antibody tests will also pick up antibodies from other viruses in the Coronavirus family so my doctor said not to mess with it. Messed up my Christmas. I had hoped to be able to make the trip to Denver for our annual family gathering. About half my family was sick with something and could not make it this year.

My wife, who is in healthcare, said that a lot of people are thinking they are over it fairly quickly and a week or two later it is coming back and they are getting really sick. Watch yourself if you think you are over it.

Unfortunately I still get the migraines. Never had a migraine in my life until I had Covid in November. Was getting them like 3+ days a week. Down to about once a week.
Here is a suggestion you may not have heard. If you get a hint that you might be coming onto a migraine, take a Claritin. Often migraines are food-triggered. And the crud may have sensitized you to some foods. This works for me, and would be easy and inexpensive to try.

Last edited:
Back