PEAX Equipment

Colorado COVID Muzzy 2021

JoltnJoe

Figured it might be interesting to journal this hunt since it has gotten very interesting in the last 12 hours. I left North Carolina on Tuesday to arrive in Colorado and stayed with a friend and his wife for two nights. This Morning I got up to depart to my hunt unit in southern Colorado and received a call from my wife that she had tested positive for Covid (Luckily our two year old is negative thus far). I immediately located the closest rapid testing facility and received my positive test as well. My symptoms have been extremely mild, just a little stuffy head. I just figured they were my usual allergies that I get when I travel out here or related to the extremely dry weather. Thankfully both my wife and everyone I have been in contact with have been vaccinated! Anyway, I phoned my buddy who I was going to be picking you up in Denver and informed him That he certainly didn’t want to be sitting in the truck with me anytime soon. Luckily he was able to salvage his trip and go accompany another friend for his first elk hunt experience. He didn’t have a tag but was very excited to tagalong and learn more about big game hunting. I consulted my wife and the couple I was staying with (the wife is a nurse), And the consensus has been if you feel OK just go quarantine in the woods and be mindful of how you’re feeling. So with their blessing I have continued on to base camp for my now solo bull elk muzzleloader hunt. Now I’m beginning the process of refining my hunt plans with considerations to both my health, packing a bull out solo, and the heat which would prevent me from wanting to have a long drawn out pack out should that arise. With season coming in tomorrow, my focus this evening is to try and rest, and pour over the maps. Hopefully I continue to feel good and I will be in the woods tomorrow evening. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
Best of luck to you! Hopefully you can deal with the altitude well and it not affect your breathing. Us lowlanders usually have enough trouble with thin air as it is without Covids help.

Fever and chills in the night last night, most likely laying low today. I will say it seems so surreal to be laid up in a bunk with COVID listening to bulls bugling in the night.
Good grief I’d love to hear some bugles, I’ve been in Colorado all week hunting and have yet to hear a single peep.

Bulls are talking again this evening. Mostly on reservation land adjacent to where I’m camped but have access to forest adjacent to the Rez. Slept 4 hours during the day today and starting to feel a little more myself. Hopefully going to make a move on them tomorrow!

Managed to get myself together this morning and hike in 3 miles for a day hunt. Elk were vocal overnight but pretty quiet this morning. Was hoping to find some water to sit for mid-day but no such luck, lots of pretty green little drainages though. Set up in a saddle/choke point that connects the Rez to a ranch on the other side for the time being. Just happy to be feeling good! Might be time for a siesta.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
Hunted on public close to base camp today as stated earlier. Hoped to intercept elk trading between private ranch’s but saw zero movement. Also a lot less bugling today compared to the two days prior. Just got back to camp and sitting on back deck and they are talking some on ranch below me. It’s been cool to hear all the cow vocalizations as well. I’ve always heard about the estrus buzz and now I’ve heard it two nights in a row. As far as my COVID goes I’m pleased with my efforts today. I did about six miles in the sagey 6800 to 7400 foot range which is a huge difference than hunting at treeline as I’ve done in the past. Symptoms remain mild, planning on resting in AM and making an evening push somewhere.

Last edited:
I’m not like scared of covid, but I’m not playing chicken with it.
I’d lay real low until that shit was totally gone.
hope you feel better!

Slept most of the day so far, fever and chills have returned. Tonight’s hunt is likely canceled and I’ll be relegated to back deck observation. The doubt devil is looming but trying to stay positive. Worried about getting a bull out in timely fashion in this heat solo with covid on my back. At least I have the backyard bulls on private to keep me entertained.

Attachments

• C03C3559-84D7-4912-A5BC-6E3595457EB3.jpeg
    C03C3559-84D7-4912-A5BC-6E3595457EB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Please don't give COVID to any elk ;)

This one might be a lesson in enjoying the hunt, not focusing on whether you fill the tag. There are an ugly set of longterm effects that some people I know still have after recovering from COVID, so there's that...

Best of luck. I hope you get to feeling well enough to drive. If you have the time, do it in small bites.

Back