First Elk Hunt

recon6036

Well, I recently returned home from my first trip to Colorado and my first Elk hunt. I wish I had a great story to tell but that's not the case, so I'll summarize the hunt. I went armed with a cow tag only. I did managed to see 3 elk and believe it or not....all 3 had antlers (2 spikes and a 4x4). To tell you the truth, being my first time to the area and my first elk hunt, I was extremely grateful to even see an elk.
A friend that came with missed a shot on a 6x6. He told me he forgot his rangefinder in his tent and misjudged the range of the bull. He said he thought it was farther than it actually was and he shot over it.
Another friend was able to fill his deer tag with his first mule deer. Not a huge one, but a trophy to us. I was very happy to help him pack it out!
One of the best parts of the trip was the two bull moose that woke us up at 3:30 AM with their sparring match. After they were done, they decided to walk within 15 yards of my tent and right through our camp site. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures but I did get a shot of the tracks later that morning.
All in all, I had a great time and I'm looking forward to next year......yah, I know....damn Eastern Tenderfoots!!!!!

Attachments

• 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 516
  • 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 511
  • 174.JPG
    174.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 188.JPG
    188.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 517
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 515
  • 197.jpg
    197.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 200.JPG
    200.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 502
I suspect this won't be your last trip west. It gets in your blood. Thats where your heart and mind will be when the weather turns cooler each fall. Congrats, a sucessfull trip, that buck is a beauty.

Looks like a fun trip there fellow East of the Missouri-an... I didn't shoot one on my first elk hunt in Sept. either but still considered it a success. Thanks for sharing the pics and hunt.

Sounds like you consider the trip a success, so you have the right attitude for Western hunting, congrats! You will be back. :)

Glad you had a good time. The experience is far more important than the harvest. Meat is always good but peace and beauty are AWESOME!!

Awesome attitude, I love to read stories from you eastern folk like this. That is a great first buck!

Thanks for the comments guys! You're all correct....it was a great time and if all goes right, I'll be back next year. I plan to head west once a year.....2011 & 2012, I chased Antelope in Wyoming, now it'll be elk in Colorado for a couple years, then maybe I'll head to Montana and stalk Big Fin and Critters area for a while.

Great memories and awesome adventure. Beautiful muley as well. Experience tag filled!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back