PEAX Equipment

Fire Season is Upon Us

@theat and I were trying to figuring out where we were smelling smoke from last night. Turns out the answer is everywhere.

I've got plumes in all four directions right now. Going to be a long next couple months.

It's interesting. I know where that fire is and it scares me to death it will get North in a hurry. Looks closer than what it is from my driveway. One of the guys I work with is good friends with the owner of a helicopter that was up there last night. mtmuley
Wind squirrely next day down there. Keeping fingers crossed it doesn't blow towards Skalkaho Pass.

It's interesting. I know where that fire is and it scares me to death it will get North in a hurry. Looks closer than what it is from my driveway. One of the guys I work with is good friends with the owner of a helicopter that was up there last night. mtmuley
Smoke is all drifting north this evening. Hope it doesn't make it to your place Muley.

Drove from LaGrande to Ennis yesterday, it's getting smoky. There is so much grass everywhere this year with the wet spring, could be the start of a real bad year.
Ya all be careful.

Record wildfire year in western Canada. . .
27 million acres — surpassing a previous record of approximately 17.5 million acres in 1995.
Ironically, not much happening in terms of fire in Alaska.
South of the Alaska Range has been an extremely cool and wet summer,
while the interior north of the Alaska Range continues with perfect summer weather.
Alaska_summer_forecast.jpg

Looking at Skalkaho from Roaring Lion this morning. Smoke is settling in. Inspite of warm and breezy day yesterday, fire was not near as active as it was on Friday. 10 day forecast for warm weather and no rain, so fingers crossed it doesn't get too big.

20230723_083913.jpg

Looking at Skalkaho from Roaring Lion this morning. Smoke is settling in. Inspite of warm and breezy day yesterday, fire was not near as active as it was on Friday. 10 day forecast for warm weather and no rain, so fingers crossed it doesn't get too big.

View attachment 285172
We were planning on staying in the Stony cabin with a younger couple who have a 4 month baby. Mom wasn't psyched to take a chance with that fire blowing up, even though my best calculations put that fire about 12-13 miles away. Bailed on the cabin. Just as well, I was hoping to explore up drainage for fishing and didn't want to deal with tourons on Rock creek.
Plan B, went East and spent the day on the banks of the Yellowstone drinking cold ones. Paddled Ruby reservoir at day break today.20230722_141959.jpg

View attachment 285172
I noticed it had laid down some. Guy I work with is good friends with the owner of a helicopter company here. Might get some insider info tomorrow. mtmuley

Plan B, went East and spent the day on the banks of the Yellowstone drinking cold ones. Paddled Ruby reservoir at day break today.
Sid on guard watch 😎. Trying to figure out a good way to hold my beer on the paddle board.

Sid on guard watch 😎. Trying to figure out a good way to hold my beer on the paddle board.
Two gwp and a griffon. All good playing in the water until my female started chasing killdeer. She chased those little guys back and forth , up and down the island and after an hour caught one.🤷‍♀️
Soft mouth retrieve to the tent. We got the bird from her on the waters edge, she spent the next hour looking for that bird at the bottom of the river, in over her head.
Try beer after paddling.😉

Though the Colt Fire is not really threatening the community of Seeley Lake, I often think there are two towns in Montana that will certainly one day burn to the ground - one is Seeley Lake, and the other is Lincoln. Nothing but a continuity of timber from the hills around into the hearts of those towns. The local fire warden sent all the VFDs a little email about a close call that occurred on the Colt Fire last Thursday. Though this summer has been forgiving, things can and will still get wild and wooly.

I'm curious if the FD in other states hold press conferences where they congratulate each other and give sloppy reach arounds to similar sympathetic departments that suck on the same tax nipple.
On the west coast it's usually a 15 minute diatribe where they pat everyone involved on the back , then thank themselves for working together with a different leach that is sucking blood from the same host. Last 30 seconds of the press release is dedicated to discussing the actual event.

I'm curious if the FD in other states hold press conferences where they congratulate each other and give sloppy reach arounds to similar sympathetic departments that suck on the same tax nipple.
On the west coast it's usually a 15 minute diatribe where they pat everyone involved on the back , then thank themselves for working together with a different leach that is sucking blood from the same host. Last 30 seconds of the press release is dedicated to discussing the actual event.

That has not been my experience in either southern oregon or Northern California. The public meetings are generally informative and the incident commanders have been pretty good for the last decade or so.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back