Fire Impact on Colorado Hunting Pressure

bmontang

I am wondering what everyone's thought are on the impact of the fires on season selection for Colorado. Does anyone else think people may turn in a first rifle tag get back their points and switch to OTC? Or do you think the relative amount of ground is small enough not to have an impact?

Its was at 125,000 acres last night, and growing strong. I have a friend who has a couple thousand acres and has (had) 6 hunting cabins and a main lodge. Its all gone. Looks like the moon. So hot most likely nothing will grow again or at least anytime soon.

So all those people huntign in that area gotta go somewhere else. Its going to have an impact far greater than the acres involved.

I'm heading near the big fire for opening week of archery season. I am not sure what to expect but am sure it will be different than normal years. I am sure the fire has moved a bunch of elk. I am hoping for light winds and some rain soon in order to help the fire crews get a handle on the fire.

I think the closure of I-70 though the Glenwood Canyon will make a difference at least for the first half archery and muzzleloader units along the CO River. At the same time I dont see why having to drive a couple extra hours of driving is going to deter hunters from the western slope who have already driven halfway across the country. I don't think that many people will turn in tags for 1st rifle just because of the fire. Hunt a different area, yes. Turn in tags, no.

The BLM has closed nearly all of the public deer and elk hunting area in unit 31, and small portions of units 21, 22, and 30.

117877428_4768320019859729_1774676696392629341_o.jpg117893358_4768319919859739_3866369230840171580_o.jpg

I think it will cause more disruption than just the units with fire. Even in Steamboat/the flat tops we have thick smoke from the fires; I am assuming this will continue into archery season. I can't imagine coming from flat land and dealing with the smoke conditions while acclimating to the mountains/altitude. I have definitely cut a few mountain workouts short due to the smoke.

I think it will cause more disruption than just the units with fire. Even in Steamboat/the flat tops we have thick smoke from the fires; I am assuming this will continue into archery season. I can't imagine coming from flat land and dealing with the smoke conditions while acclimating to the mountains/altitude. I have definitely cut a few mountain workouts short due to the smoke.
Obviously harder to glass if your hunting alpine deer and elk if the smoke is workings its way up that high to those peaks.

Thanks for posting that Oak. That's a huge swath of land closed, a lot of which has not been affected, yet. Hopefully this fire calms down and they modify the closure order.

Two new fires in eagle county, one near wolcott unit 35, and another on New York mountain in unit 44.

Not a factor IMO. I drew a tag for a unit not far from there, and I'm not worried. Got good intel today that they are running at lower elevations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back