Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Finally, time to quit reading about it & go do it...

Good luck NHY! Looking forward to the updates. If you don't mind, stay in Chama on your way and see if you can't tie a mule deer up to a tree for me. Let him know I'll be there in a week and a half to take him home with me. ;)

Uh Oh, Kenny Rogers won't be eating chicken this year.

I wonder if NHY will donate meat and help feed me this year?

Would it be too embarrassing for a Texan to feed a native Coloradan elk for the winter??

My paunch may betray me!!

Would it be too embarrassing for a Texan to feed a native Coloradan elk for the winter??

I thought all you natives claimed they were yours anyway! LOL He better bring a steak to the farm if he wants to ride in the Front seat! John

No excuses for you, Dink. There are still plenty of late season cow tags left, and I believe you still have a bull tag or two in your pocket. If the elusive raghorns elude you, come on down for a Dec. cow.

Craig and I made it back safe and sound last night. I'll have the pics and story up shortly.

That old man can't figure out his VCR, what makes you all think he can put pictures up on the internet?

After blowing a chance by waiting to shoot on a nice 290ish bull opening morning and letting him slip away just as light failed the following day I was growing humbler by the hour. The woods went quiet, the temps stayed high, and nightime was daIly becoming brighter than a Wallyworld parking lot.

Tuesday morning an hour and a half into hiking and glassing a ridge covered with fully leafed oak brush, pine, and aspen I spotted a huge cow staring at me about 60-70 yards away framed ideally between two large pines about 8 feet apart. I froze, slowly extended the shooting stick while switching scope power from 3.5 to 6. The wind was perfect and she didn't freak. She finally began walking upslope but would circle back, look at me again, and butt some of the other cows up the hill. About 10-12 cows eventually passed then nothing... but I knew he was coming.

He showed himself and stood about 20 yards behind the spot where the cows passed. Motionless and quartered towards me I decided to take the shot instead of waiting and repeating opening morning's mistake. The first shot felt good but I immediately chambered another and sent it towards the same spot in front of his quartered right shoulder. He disappeared into a small swale behind him. A cautious walk up to the spot & there he was. From the time I froze on the scope and waited for the shot was at least 5 minutes...no chit.

...now here's where it gets kinda squirrely...I was positive I'd hit him twice with 180 gr Accubonds...well, while performing the skinning/autopsy a single TSX is recovered and there is one .30 cal. hole leading to a crushed spine at the base of the neck. Seems I had inadvertantly magazined the Barnes in the on deck circle. The shoot range had shown they both hit at 100 at the same place but at 2" high @ 100, I suppose the accubond flew a bit higher...or, as I tend to believe, operator error. I lost a 12 pack of Coor's Original on my erroneous claim of accuracy.

Craig and I had discussed buying bear tags but decided against it. He had a 400+ shot on a 270ish bull that didn't connect and offered no second chance. He took a hellish route down and back up to make sure there was no blood. He did however see no less than 8 bears...one, a cinnamon colored 350 pound brute....go figure. Craig is the epitome of a good sportsman, always cheerful, ethical, and helpful...a priviledge to hunt with in my book.

Another awesome hunting memory with good friends in God's country...can't wait til next year.

IMG_0749.jpg

A Marchall Dillon pose for Draftsud and AZ402...Miss Kitty was nowhere to be found.;)

IMG_0776.jpg

That old man can't figure out his VCR

12:00am

He can't get over that they now have sound and talking in the Moving Picture Shows....

safety%20last.jpeg

A Marchall Dillon pose for Draftsud and AZ402...Miss Kitty was nowhere to be found

Congrats on summoning your inner "Marchall" to the photo-shoot....

Nice bull.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back