Finally! - Part 2

mdunc8

After having another hunt molested this morning (not sure it was intentional), I was about ready to rip up my goat tag and drink my sorrows away in the nearest bar. I had set up 75 yards from 40 goats with two REALLY nice bucks in the group, but had someone bust up the herd (is it called a herd?) just as I had figured out which buck to shoot. Fortunately on my walk back to the truck I found another group of 20 goats a few miles off. Managed to use some rocks for cover to get within 137 yards. There were two other bucks of similar size to this guy in the group. After spending 15 minutes deciding which one to shoot, I figured I'd better shoot the one offering the best shot before I got sent home empty handed once again. Probably the cleanest kill I've ever had. Shot him while he was bedded. He didn't even flinch. He's not huge, but I'll take him for my first antelope. I am officially hooked. The wife is getting anxious as I am now out of wall space in my allotted critter room.

Attachments

• Antelope1.jpg
    Antelope1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Antelope2.jpg
    Antelope2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 299
Nice lope.

Antelope on public land in rifle season? Oh yeah, that can be a real PTA. I don't think I've seen worse behavior from fellow hunters on all of my elk/deer hunts than I've seen a couple of antelope hunts.

Savage 270. Not sure what model. I grew up hunting with a 30-30, which obviously wouldn't cut it out here, so I stole this one from dad when I moved out here. I got it as a birthday present for him about 10 years ago, but he refuses to put down his old British 303.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back