Finally caught a Laker!

I've basically been wanting to catch a lake trout since I was a little kid. Finally scratched them off the fish bucket-list up in Vermont with my wife last week. They're only moderate tablefare though. I'm going to have to try smoking them.

Nice fish!

Moderate tablefare is being too kind. Not much of a fighter either. That's a nice one.

Nothing wrong with ticking off a bucket list item, Steelhead and bonefish for me one day, congrats on your catch, I'll watch the rest of your videos later.
Cheers
Richard

Look up poor mans lobster recipe. It’s by far the best way we’ve found to fix them. Congrats.

Lake trout are my favorite freshwater fish to eat, so long as they are not from the Great Lakes. They are also one of the fightingest freshwater fish there is, if caught on light tackle through the ice or in the spring. One of the reasons I love fishing NW Ontario so much is because of the lake trout there. It's been a long two years not being able to chase them.

Ah, my home waters! They're cool fish and I'd agree that if you're going to eat them, the little ones are best. I find them to be very tough fighters, not fast, but hard pulling, head shaking and stubborn.

Nothing wrong with ticking off a bucket list item, Steelhead and bonefish for me one day, congrats on your catch, I'll watch the rest of your videos later.
Cheers
Richard
Thanks. Queen snapper and hogfish are the next two for me. There's a few elk hunting videos there that you'll probably be interested in. Hit the like button on the videos if you enjoy them. It helps them get more views on the Youtube algorithm.

Lake trout are my favorite freshwater fish to eat, so long as they are not from the Great Lakes. They are also one of the fightingest freshwater fish there is, if caught on light tackle through the ice or in the spring. One of the reasons I love fishing NW Ontario so much is because of the lake trout there. It's been a long two years not being able to chase them.
Probably has a lot to do with their diet. To be fair, I've been eating fresh tuna and tilefish, so not much by way of comparison there.

Nice Laker!! Champlain I'm assuming? We catch a lot of them in Quabbin Reservoir. They put up a decent fight and shake their heads and roll around the entire way in. Smoked is definitely the best way to eat them. We catch and release them almost exclusively and only target them when we can't get the salmon to cooperate.

Probably has a lot to do with their diet. To be fair, I've been eating fresh tuna and tilefish, so not much by way of comparison there.
I had tilefish this past spring for the first time while on vacation. My wife brought a big fillet home from the fish market. It was incredible. Seared tuna is one of my favorites. I'm jealous of anyone with a variety of saltwater fish at their disposal. Freshwater fish just can't compete. But, I still love my NW Ontario lake trout!

I'm mighty happy to dine on lake trout when I'm out on a canoe trip. Nice break from the monotony of walleyes, northerns, and smallmouths.
Big lakers I would not eat too often, just because they can be pretty hot with heavy metals and other ugly things, even in the way-back country, but I don't catch them often anyways.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back