Yeti GOBOX Collection

FINALLY..... 1st Archery Elk!!

SWMontana1

My alarm clock went off at 5:00AM on Monday morning (Columbus Day = vacation!). I usually pop right up when even thinking about hunting. I was dragging tail for some reason... I had went hunting the past 14 days and had seen elk 13 out of those 14 days; however, due to inexperience getting that close to elk, unfortunate cirumstances, and not being in the right spot at the right time - I had been unable to get close enough for a shot any one of those days.

So on Monday morning I basically had to force myself to go hunting (sounds pretty sad, I know). Once I was up there, my attitude changed for the better and I got to my spot and waited. It was raining, foggy, and spitting hail and snow at times. I just waited until it stopped at around 11. Nothing happened for the next couple hours so I decided to walk around a little bit. I walked over a small hill and saw a bunch of cows! (cattle) I decided to kind of circle around them and get a bit further back. A bunch of them decided they needed to follow me. To be honest, I was pissed! They finally left we alone. I was frustrated and was thinking to myself "this is a waste of my time, I think I am going to just wait a couple weeks until rifle season begins, I am over this!". I saw a bunch of clustered trees, mainly willows, and decided to walk down to them. I found a nice dry spot and sat down. I had probably been sitting there for around 20 minutes when I heard some cracking and crashing behind me. My first thought was "you're kidding me right? damn cows!" Still sitting, I looked behind the tree I was sitting against and it was a bull elk going to town on some juniper/willow branches and also going after a dead log. After about 15 minutes of watching him do that he began to feed. He had no clue I was there and eventually came into a clearing 25 yards away and I let an arrow fly. He ran for about 20 more yards, breaking my arrow off. I then used my cow call (not sure where I heard you are supposed to let a cow call ring after you shoot - not even sure if it is correct or what- but it worked) He came to a complete stop, looked my way, stood there for a minute or so then started to slowly walk in the willow timber. Then about 30 yards from there he stumbled and slumped over.

Definitely a different thrill than rifle season. I have had the luck and joy of shooting a bull elk every year since I started hunting at 12; however, this bull, my 13th, (even though not my biggest or hardest kill) is definitely the most rewarding and satisfying!

There was actually an old logging about 20 yards below the willows and trees where he died. As I was walking back to the truck on the road, I bumped into an old rancher that said I could cross his easement and drive right up to the elk!! Drug him those 20 yards and threw him in the truck! Easiest recovery of all-time!

Attachments

• cows.jpg
    cows.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 558
  • bridgers.JPG
    bridgers.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 543
  • trail.JPG
    trail.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 548
  • mybull.jpg
    mybull.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
Wow, great story. And I openly admit to being jealous about the labor intensive pack out you had. Congrats.

Congrats and that's great that after the shot you got to see him go down and get an easy retrieve on top of that! You must be living right, or at least better than me, as successful as you've been for 13 straight years. Great country and great pics too.

Congrats on a great bull, looks like you made a great shot.

Nice bull, some days it comes easy some days it comes hard the only way to find out how its going to happen today is to get out of bed.

Nice bull!
It's great when you work that hard and it finally pays off for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back