feral cat

Here’s what I think about every time I see my neighbors cat walking down into our woods: How does that white cat that stands out like a sore thumb not get killed and eaten by coyotes?? I’ve seen the damn thing walk right up to a pair of red foxes and the three hang out together. I can’t imagine a coyote giving it the same pass, but year after year I see it hunting back there. ... Only thing I can think of is they must taste horrible. Otherwise, we would have more population control help by wild predators.

Someone needs to do the Lord’s work

DEEEB462-25D1-4E35-8F71-54F1E8F4D7A6.jpeg

Very interesting thread. I'm surprised so many would want it taken down.

I understand folks love their cats, but from the article Big Fin shared:

"We estimate that free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.3–4.0 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals annually."

Dang.....

For perspective, hunters kill around 11 million ducks annually in the US as a whole, so in the United States, at those rates, the amount of ducks hunters would kill over a century would not be as great as the amount of birds domestic cats kill annually.

Last edited:
I live on the outskirts of town, backed up against a farm and open desert. If it were not for the laws regarding shooting within city limits, which I fall within, I would do the same. They are everywhere here.

We always liked a few cats around the farm for controlling rodents and sparrows that would get in the feed. But people from town would drop off unwanted cats nearby and the population constantly needed to be controlled. We tried to get rid of the cats we saw roaming out into the fields so most stayed close to the buildings/house.

Dogs would also get dropped off in our area. If it was an ok friendly dog it might get adopted by someone, but there were only about 3 people per sq mile around there and most people already had dogs. Unfortunately the dogs were usually not well trained and we had no patience for a dog that started running cattle or deer. I have talked to people that are ok with feral cats being killed but get a bit sensitive if I bring up the problem dogs.

We always liked a few cats around the farm for controlling rodents and sparrows that would get in the feed. But people from town would drop off unwanted cats nearby and the population constantly needed to be controlled. We tried to get rid of the cats we saw roaming out into the fields so most stayed close to the buildings/house.

Dogs would also get dropped off in our area. If it was an ok friendly dog it might get adopted by someone, but there were only about 3 people per sq mile around there and most people already had dogs. Unfortunately the dogs were usually not well trained and we had no patience for a dog that started running cattle or deer. I have talked to people that are ok with feral cats being killed but get a bit sensitive if I bring up the problem dogs.
I'm a "dog person"... I like dogs more than people. With that said, like everything else, it depends on the dog. If it's feral, problematic and unable to be adopted - fair game.

Is an outdoor domestic cat different than a feral one?
Yes, we have an outdoor cat, indoor/ outdoor actually. She keeps the rabbit population in check. Sparrows are fair game, as are the collared dove. Only one pine siskin has perished.
Not all outdoor cats are bad but I see your point. If she was decimating our songbirds changes would happen. We keep her fat and happy and the easy birds are all she targets. Yet to catch a pigeon but that will get her a prize.

I live on the outskirts of town, backed up against a farm and open desert. If it were not for the laws regarding shooting within city limits, which I fall within, I would do the same. They are everywhere here.

Live trap.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back