feral cat

Well stated as usual.

I would be willing to bet that the majority who choose to kill feral cats are not anti domestic cat.
I've killed a few feral cats and I would say 90% of them were due to them fighting with my domesticated cat. The farm across the road was the big draw. Only one was memorable though, had a big tom cat that showed up only at night and wouldn't go into a live trap. I had to use a foothold to get him.

Well said. Folks struggle to make that distinction / separation between feral and domestic.
These things breed like wild fire and will quickly decimate native and non native birds, lizards, snakes etc. They are a very adaptive predator.

Think I read somewhere recently that Australia has plans to eliminate 2 million feral cats in 2020.

2 million is just scraping the top. The state I live is ”estimated” to have around 5 million feral cats. That’s at least 15 million small critters predated on by this menace each day.
A few years back, they got a bunch of Army shooters in to help. It was some pretty remote semi desert type areas. These areas have scarce large trees and they were finding cats curled up in the bird nests.

Here’s what I think about every time I see my neighbors cat walking down into our woods: How does that white cat that stands out like a sore thumb not get killed and eaten by coyotes?? I’ve seen the damn thing walk right up to a pair of red foxes and the three hang out together. I can’t imagine a coyote giving it the same pass, but year after year I see it hunting back there. ... Only thing I can think of is they must taste horrible. Otherwise, we would have more population control help by wild predators.

Last edited:
Did you skin them? I've seen some cats that had some good looking hides.

I had a pair of calfskin gloves with a fur lining. damn fine gloves, good for cold or even severe cold. I eventually read the inner tag, made in China Cat fur. Cat fur makes some outstanding glove lining.

Back