feral cat

Glad to see somone besides me has a divine love for wild/Ferrel felines.

Glad to see somone besides me has a divine love for wild/Ferrel felines.

A practical philosophy is to help maintain sustainable population levels. Definitely not feral Cat specific. Nature is cycles of feast and famine, the predators overpopulate when there is a sufficient food supply, they eventually deplete the food supply and the numbers go down from starvation. A side note: I've seen many young predators that failed to establish a territory, sufficient hunting skills or the food supply was depleted, they are miserable and die a slow death. Disease is also a factor, when they get weak from hunger they are more prone to be disease vectors. Overpopulation can also be a disease factor, transmission is more likely.

A stable healthy population is the goal. Overpopulation or a weak population that has depleted the food supply is a breeding ground for disease or human conflict.

Wild Cats are native here, feral house Cats aren't. Wild Cats are actually protected.

We periodically get overpopulation of certain predator species. The solution is to have an open season and actually encourage culling the excess. Fox; Racoons and Mink were the most recent (last thirty years).

A short observation, the Fox population here was seriously infected with a terrible parasite, no known cure for humans. No medicine worked, the only real option was to operate and remove the cysts. sometimes in the hundreds. As mentioned house Cats sometimes hang out with Fox, no idea how they get along or why or if it is some sort of territorial confrontation. I can readily picture a house Cat being a vector for human infection of these parasites. The solution was to seriously thin out the Fox population and to keep the house Cats out of Fox habitat.

Last edited:
A practical philosophy is to help maintain sustainable population levels. Definitely not feral Cat specific. Nature is cycles of feast and famine, the predators overpopulate when there is a sufficient food supply, they eventually deplete the food supply and the numbers go down from starvation. A side note: I've seen many young predators that failed to establish a territory, sufficient hunting skills or the food supply was depleted, they are miserable and die a slow death. Disease is also a factor, when they get weak from hunger they are more prone to be disease vectors. Overpopulation can also be a disease factor, transmission is more likely.

A stable healthy population is the goal. Overpopulation or a weak population that has depleted the food supply is a breeding ground for disease or human conflict.

Wild Cats are native here, feral house Cats aren't. Wild Cats are actually protected.

We periodically get overpopulation of certain predator species. The solution is to have an open season and actually encourage culling the excess. Fox; Racoons and Mink were the most recent (last thirty years).

A short observation, the Fox population here was seriously infected with a terrible parasite, no known cure for humans. No medicine worked, the only real option was to operate and remove the cysts. sometimes in the hundreds. As mentioned house Cats sometimes hang out with Fox, no idea how they get along or why or if it is some sort of territorial confrontation. I can readily picture a house Cat being a vector for human infection of these parasites. The solution was to seriously thin out the Fox population and to keep the house Cats out of Fox habitat.
Where are you from that wild cats are native?

Very interesting post and a lot of different opinions I live in south central Pa and every farm or even most developments have feral cats around and lot in the city or so Im told, and I know from my Fiance they are big trouble for song birds shes part of the blue bird society as well as Big fin posted some of the same info
I also grew up working on a farm and the farm cats are not the same cute cats we have in our home a 4 month old farm cat will tear you up if you pick it up if it hasnt been handled by people since birth they are as wild as a bob cat
We just cant compare a pet with a wild animal even if they look the same all things have to be kept in perspective Im not saying what I would do or have done just saying we have to use our heads for more than a place to sit a hat
And as outdoors men we should be able to have open conversations about any type of conservation issue

Only on hunttalk does shooting a few bird killing, gnarly cats turn into a debate about internet manners. I got room for nuance but wow. By that logic somebody ought to make note that ol' Stay Sharp killed somebody's neighborhood cow in the jungle or wherever he was. :D

Only on hunttalk does shooting a few bird killing, gnarly cats turn into a debate about internet manners. I got room for nuance but wow. By that logic somebody ought to make note that ol' Stay Sharp killed somebody's neighborhood cow in the jungle or wherever he was. :D

Doesn’t count if it was in ‘68 on the Mekong Delta?

When you walk up on a feral tom you have just put down, it's a nose full. They stink to high heaven. They ain't that pretty kitty cleaning it's fur all day. Their fur is matted and filthy. Like little G-Bears.

Someone’s cat took to climbing the screens on most of the windows on my house. My cat-lover wife asked me how much it will cost to replace the screens and I told her. She said the cat needed taken care of immediately so I suggested the river in a weighted sack. She was appalled and wanted to use the spray bottle. The cat doesn’t mind water so now we have a wet cat climbing our screens.
image.jpg

Someone’s cat took to climbing the screens on most of the windows on my house. My cat-lover wife asked me how much it will cost to replace the screens and I told her. She said the cat needed taken care of immediately so I suggested the river in a weighted sack. She was appalled and wanted to use the spray bottle. The cat doesn’t mind water so now we have a wet cat climbing our screens.
Dude I feel your pain.
I love my cat, but this will be my last cat. 😡
A4E13D48-571E-4874-93A4-2BAC9B087395.jpeg

It's my fault. I'm that guy at the party who inputs into the conversation after everyone else is walking away. It makes the whole social distancing thing much easier, though.

I really like this thread, kinda glad it keeps popping up. It’s a perfect mix of pictures, ruffled feathers, information, and clever social commentary.
Usually they stop right at ruffled feathers and sit there for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back