Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Federal Public Lands Transfer Fallacies

JC. You know so little about my ranch. I would do just fine with out those leases. Montana is a fence out state. Would you or the environmental groups you belong to spend 50 grand just to build the fence and then pay for up keep every year just to keep cattle off of less than 2000 acres of BLM land. I think not. The Idea that environmental groups could control all the leases is a pipe dream at best.

Last edited:
CO is fence out so when I told blm to get thier cattle off my place they said no, it's fence out. So I told them I'll let my horses out and they'll have to fence my horses out. They said no, sovereign immunity protected them. So I said cool, I'm going to leave my gates open to the highway.

They sent out a crew the next week and built a fence.

It was not as contentious as it sounds, though. All good natured and I get along fine with them. I have an in holding.

The point is, look for alternatives to work things out.

straight, the Fed. is not going to transfer ownership.....you can quote me, "it ain't a gonna happen".

Feel free to remind me I said that if I am ever proven wrong.

I am not one of those affected, but my understanding is that many of the ranchers who utilize federal land to graze, are opposed to transfer. The increased cost would drive many out of business. I'd like to hear it first hand from someone affected by this, though.

http://grist.org/food/this-rancher-...s-worried-about-losing-access-to-public-land/

This is an interview with a ranching family in the town I went to high school in. Though I think we should up the rates for grazing leases on public land, I think it is naive to just assume we could jack them up to market rates and assume everything will be ok. When ranches quit, they subdivide. Just look at places like the upper Madison Valley.

Yes we are subsidizing grazing on Our Public Lands. But we are also subsidizing wide open spaces currently being used as ag and ranch land on private lands, which, after watching half the county I grew up as it was subdivided to death, I feel is a valuable thing. The incredibly low rates federal land grazers enjoy is a complicated issue and vilifying public land grazers, as so many environmental orgs do, may bite us in the a$$ IMO.

straight, the Fed. is not going to transfer ownership.....you can quote me, "it ain't a gonna happen".

Feel free to remind me I said that if I am ever proven wrong.

Sorry if I don't think you're any kind of Nostradamus...you assured me that landowners and outfitters wouldn't be selling shoulder season hunts in Montana...how did that prediction work out for you?

Some things are not worth taking chances on...PLT being one.

http://grist.org/food/this-rancher-...s-worried-about-losing-access-to-public-land/

This is an interview with a ranching family in the town I went to high school in. Though I think we should up the rates for grazing leases on public land, I think it is naive to just assume we could jack them up to market rates and assume everything will be ok. When ranches quit, they subdivide. Just look at places like the upper Madison Valley.

Yes we are subsidizing grazing on Our Public Lands. But we are also subsidizing wide open spaces currently being used as ag and ranch land on private lands, which, after watching half the county I grew up as it was subdivided to death, I feel is a valuable thing. The incredibly low rates federal land grazers enjoy is a complicated issue and vilifying public land grazers, as so many environmental orgs do, may bite us in the a$$ IMO.

Nameless Range, that's a great article. It confirms my lack of concern that public grazers are effectively subsidised. I'd rather see cows on public lands than houses on subdivided ranches, even if I can't hunt those ranches. The wildlife I hunt on public, depends on those private lands for winter range and security habitat. Dozens of houses on what used to be Rancher Browns back pasture isn't good for anyone who cares about wildlife and public lands.

Agree Nameless Range.
I think a below going rate for grazing fees is fine.Not $2 tho,& not the $20 that is going for private.
How about $6? And you pay your bill or your out & they go collect.
Same thing with extraction industries. Negotiate new leases & contracts that benefit the public. They clean up their mess & pay reasonable rate or we collect from all the company heads 1st,then from the stockholders 2nd.

I don't think I have ever assured you of anything. I may have stated that I believed there would not be any "pay for access" on the shoulder seasons... As charging for a hunt to reduce numbers/help landowners is in very poor taste.

You mean the State of Wyoming would turn down my superior bid, that would fund State Schools, for an inferior financial offer, harming school children?

Unless you plan to run cows Jose...Yes. The current grazing lease holder only has to match the highest bid and he keeps the lease....there are few bidders. And if you don't plan to run cattle, you're disqualified.

Unless you plan to run cows Jose...Yes. The current grazing lease holder only has to match the highest bid and he keeps the lease....there are few bidders. And if you don't plan to run cattle, you're disqualified.

Trust me.
I plan to run cattle. All Herefords, as the Good Lord intended.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back