Federal Fusion

Rooster52

Anyone shoot Federal Fusion ammo ?
A local Bass Pro has 7MM WSM 150 Grain on sale.They had a few box's left today.
What do you think about this ammo ?

I got some for my new .308. It shoots awesome and is really accurate out of the rifle, but I don't know what it will do to an animal.

I put 4 boxes through my 270wsm before I started reloading. I had no complaints. Killed 2 deer with them both between 150-250 yards and had great results.

If they still have some tomorrow ,I will pick up a couple of box,s. At 28 dollars a box,the brass is worth something.

I have killed a bear, a bull, and several deer with them. They are a pretty descent bonded bullet, seem to be accurate in many guys' rifles too. No, I don't have any recovered bullets weighed out, pictures of wound tracts, etc. I just know they can kill crap.

No, you won't find guys loading them up, but they are IMO, just a solid factory round, and they are basically half the price of premium bullets. My new rifle shot a ragged hole with them resting on a block of wood and a pillow. I have boxes of premium bullets, and boxes of fusions. I will shoot them at anything.

I have been shooting 150 gr. Federal Fusions in my Browning A-Bolt .270 Win. for a couple of years now. The rifle really likes them - the most accurate round I have ever used in it. I have taken two whitetail bucks with them. Last January I shot a large cow elk at 307 yards. The bullet entered the left shoulder, passed through the scapula, through both lungs, busted a rib, and lodged just under the hide on the far side. Nosler Partitions have been my favorite elk and caribou bullet for many years. The Fusion seem to perform very well at a much cheaper price. My wife has taken two whitetail bucks with her 7mm-08 with 140 gr. Fusions.

They are very popular in MN whitetail country, just after corelokts. I know quite a few people that shoot them, and haven't heard one instance of them failing. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them at deer sized game.

I was told that they tend to be more accurate, in more rifles, because they have a softer jacket/core than alot of the other bonded or all-copper bullets. I am sure there is someone on here that can comment as to whether or not this is fact or fiction.

I think I've been in on about a dozen kills with them in non-magnum calibers, with no problems whatsoever. I haven't killed an elk with one, but would have no reservations about doing so.

I've also been in on a ton of kills with accubonds, and I think the fusions are a little softer. A big step up from the cup and cores though, and being as they're the same price it's a no brained for me to try the fusions first. They're the first ammo I try in any new rifles now.

As fast as the wsm is it wouldn't be my first choice, but it should definitely work.

I shot a black bear with them out of my 270 at about 80 yards. Shot the bear three times, all shots were where they needed to be. At each shot the bear went down, then got up and kept going. We had to come back the next morning and found the bear dead 1.5 miles away. I haven't used them since.

They shot real well out of my son's 243 vanguard weatherby and a 30/06 I bring to deer camp every year as a back up. They have performed very well on both antelope and whitetail.

I have never taken anything myself with the 06 but about half a dozen buddies who end up using it because of firearm problems at camp have taken some real nice whitetails with it.

I think they are a very good value.

I shot a black bear with them out of my 270 at about 80 yards. Shot the bear three times, all shots were where they needed to be. At each shot the bear went down, then got up and kept going. We had to come back the next morning and found the bear dead 1.5 miles away. I haven't used them since.

Did the bullets fail, or was it a really tough bear? Did they pass through?

All three passed through, entry and exit holes where the same size. Plenty of blood, just went farther than I would have liked. Maybe it was because I didn't break the shoulder? Either way the bear wasn't very big (215 w/o the guts).

I like Federal ammo. The premium stuff is top quality, and the cheap “Blue box” stuff shoots fantastic in my .270. It’s my “go to” deer ammo. That being said, I have experienced accuracy issues with the Fusion. My .338 throws them all over the country side.
Probably just my gun, but I’ll stick to their other flavors.

Cannot hardly wait to get home and shoot my 7MM WSM ,but I am in southern Alabama right now for the next couple more weeks. My range up at my home in Michigan is covered by 30 inch's of snow.
Curious how the Fusion ammo shoots'

I've used it on the last 2 antelope out of my .270 Howa. . . .they never took a step. I'm good with that!

Used them last year with my Tikka 7mm-08. Pretty good accuracy and managed to kill a small buck at about 100 yards. Pass through but did not hit bone, took out the lungs. He only ran about 60 yards so I would say they worked!

I've had excellent accuracy with them every time I've used them. I've killed a few deer with them and one elk, been very happy with there results on game.

All three passed through, entry and exit holes where the same size. Plenty of blood, just went farther than I would have liked. Maybe it was because I didn't break the shoulder? Either way the bear wasn't very big (215 w/o the guts).

It is always interesting when this sort of thing happens. I am not really smart on the bonding process and if all bonded bullets have the same integrity, or if they can vary and just because a bullet says bonded, it may not hold up as well as a higher quality bonded bullet.

I used to shoot Hornady Interbonds out of my 7mm Rem, and their terminal performance was great, to my knowledge just as good as an Accubond. Now I am shooting Trophy Bonded Tipped out of a few of my rifles because I wanted to support my neighbor, Federal Ammo. They seem to hold together really well too.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back