Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Favorite Pronghorn round ?

Thanks guys, as I have my moments now and then, LOL! Now all ClearCreek has to do is get back on this website soon and contact me so we can work things out getting them to him.

EDIT: I see Clearcreek was on here tonight and I've not heard a word from him even though I also sent him a PM several days ago. If I get stuck with that box of Interbonds that I can't use that I paid $54 for you can bet that I'll not be a happy camper and will be contacting Randy about this member. I hope it doesn't come to that!
Did that member request that you make a purchase for them?

Thanks guys, as I have my moments now and then, LOL! Now all ClearCreek has to do is get back on this website soon and contact me so we can work things out getting them to him.

EDIT: I see Clearcreek was on here tonight and I've not heard a word from him even though I also sent him a PM several days ago. If I get stuck with that box of Interbonds that I can't use that I paid $54 for you can bet that I'll not be a happy camper and will be contacting Randy about this member. I hope it doesn't come to that!

Toopgun:

I was out of town for a few days and when I got back on here last night I did not see that I had a PM. I just returned your PM with the info you requested.

I mentioned this in the PM but, while I was out of town I did check five sporting goods stores in southern Montana and not a one had any Hornady Interbond bullets of any caliber. You must have a good source!

Thanks for picking up the bullets for me. Now I can see how they will shoot in the 7mm Rem Mag and 7-08.

ClearCreek

Everything is cool guys! The check is in the mail to me and the bullets will go out to ClearCreek on Monday when the Post Office is open again. If he wants more than one box, I advised that I'll be going right by Buffalo within a mile or two of his house the end of next month on my way to Sheridan, WY and could get him more before I head out there and deliver them to him myself.

Im new to this sight. Its awsome! This is my first post (hope i dont screw it up). I hunt south east MT antelope. I have always shot them with my 30-06. Except for the time I shot a buck at 250 yrds with my 223. The trick to antelope hunting is not the round you drop them with, but how you take care of it. Shoot a speed sheep with a 223 or a 300 winnie, still dead. Shoot one and then drive around with your buddies trying to fill tags instead of puting up the one you have, get used to the meat tasting like the smell when you field dressed it. Watch the grazing pattern and get in front of the heard. Dont run them or shoot them if they just ran 3 miles.

Actually it's none of your business, but no, I did it as a good deed for a fellow member!

If you are going to go on a public forum and chastise a guy with the intent of having him removed from the site because he didn't answer your PM's fast enough or potentially didn't want what you decided on your own to purchase for him your good deed no longer looks so nice. Sure are a lot of quick tempered people around here.

If you are going to go on a public forum and chastise a guy with the intent of having him removed from the site because he didn't answer your PM's fast enough or potentially didn't want what you decided on your own to purchase for him your good deed no longer looks so nice. Sure are a lot of quick tempered people around here.

As I said, it is really none of your business. I didn't chastise him and there was nothing in my post saying I was going to have him banned from the site! FYI I was going to first ask Randy if he has access to our email addresses to see if I could try and reach the guy that way along with waiting a while to see if he responded or to take them back to see if I could get a refund. It also had nothing to do with a quick temper, but just the fact that the guy came on and made a post on the same Forum well after I had made my post telling him I got the bullets he wanted and also sent him a PM to that effect that he had not responded to. Anyway, IMHO your comments about my good deed no longer looking nice and having a quick temper are totally inaccurate and didn't need to be posted.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience shooting pronghorn with heavier (165-175 grain) 30-06 rounds? No need for lectures on why you’re supposed to shoot antelope with only 150 grain 06 rounds. I’m just a one gun guy and not trying to buy more rounds or sighting in again between pronghorn and elk. Thinking of just going out with 175 grain 06 rounds for pronghorn and leaving the setup for elk later on. Last year I nabbed an antelope with 150 grains and they performed excellent.

I feel with quality rounds these days it doesn’t matter that much. I don’t think a well placed high quality 175 grain is going to produce regret. Am i wrong?

Never had a problem with 165 grain fusions out of my 30-06. I haven't tried my 165 grain accubond hand loads yet. I don't think you have to worry about bullet size and weight anymore with the modern well constructed bullets.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience shooting pronghorn with heavier (165-175 grain) 30-06 rounds? No need for lectures on why you’re supposed to shoot antelope with only 150 grain 06 rounds. I’m just a one gun guy and not trying to buy more rounds or sighting in again between pronghorn and elk. Thinking of just going out with 175 grain 06 rounds for pronghorn and leaving the setup for elk later on. Last year I nabbed an antelope with 150 grains and they performed excellent.

I feel with quality rounds these days it doesn’t matter that much. I don’t think a well placed high quality 175 grain is going to produce regret. Am i wrong?

If I didn't have my .243 Sako or 25-06 Ruger for antelope I would have no problem at all shooting them with one of my 3 30-06s with that heavier bullet. Just put one through their ribs and stay off their shoulders and you should have no problem using it.

I've killed a lot of antelope with a .300 RUM and a 200 grain bullet. It doesn't matter the cartridge, if you hit one bad, it ruins meat. mtmuley

I have shot 2 with a 25/06 with 120g core-lokts and they did fine. This year I am taking my serious Hunter ultimate long range mountain rifle and will try and shoot one with a 140g Accubond. If that goes well I am also taking my .450 Bushmaster rifle I built. That will be using 250g Hornady FTX bullets at about 2200 FPS.

That's good to know. I just saw one mounted in Cabela's and I was thinking my .308 was way too much gun for such a spindly animal. But it has a nicer scope, trigger, and heft than my .243. I did pick up some 150 grain bullets to get closer to my .243 trajectory. Will see how they shoot tomorrow. SST superformance.

That's good to know. I just saw one mounted in Cabela's and I was thinking my .308 was way too much gun for such a spindly animal. But it has a nicer scope, trigger, and heft than my .243. I did pick up some 150 grain bullets to get closer to my .243 trajectory. Will see how they shoot tomorrow. SST superformance.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would stay away from the SSTs due to their rapid expansion on both animals I shot with them using a 30-06.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would stay away from the SSTs due to their rapid expansion on both animals I shot with them using a 30-06.

I agree, I shot my first antelope with a 129 SST with my 6.5 CM and it left a Softball sized hole on the exit. Taxidermist had to do some finagling on that one

SST shot fine in my rifle. 165 grain interlock and 180 grain fusion did not. Maybe my rifle is a plastic tip liking rifle. Ordered six boxes from Midway for preseason practice.

SST are designed for pronghorn. People complain about meat damage when it hits a shoulder and bad penetration on bigger game. Hopefully I won't pull the shot into the shoulder. In the future, I might handload with some bonded bullets. But for now a round that is accurate, flat shooting to reduce holdover compensation, and is affordable enough to allow for plenty of preseason practice is just the ticket.

I agree, I shot my first antelope with a 129 SST with my 6.5 CM and it left a Softball sized hole on the exit. Taxidermist had to do some finagling on that one

I filled some doe tags years ago with a 6.5-06 and Sierra 120 grainers. The game processor asked me if I used the other side of the chest to pattern a shotgun.

SST shot fine in my rifle. 165 grain interlock and 180 grain fusion did not. Maybe my rifle is a plastic tip liking rifle. Ordered six boxes from Midway for preseason practice.

SST are designed for pronghorn. People complain about meat damage when it hits a shoulder and bad penetration on bigger game. Hopefully I won't pull the shot into the shoulder. In the future, I might handload with some bonded bullets. But for now a round that is accurate, flat shooting to reduce holdover compensation, and is affordable enough to allow for plenty of preseason practice is just the ticket.

Quick question for you since you like the SSTs and talk as if those that have used them before didn't place the shot on the animal in the proper place. Have you ever shot anything with them in a hunting situation or just at the range? FYI you also don't need a bonded bullet for antelope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back