Favorite Pronghorn round ?

I've shot deer with the 140gr SST from a 270 and none have taken a step. I've always got good penetration, excellent terminal results, but I've been selective with shot placement. In my experience, its definitely not a bullet I'd shoot something bigger than a deer with but I'd use it on a speed goat as long as it wasn't out of a really high speed magnum.

Quick question for you since you like the SSTs and talk as if those that have used them before didn't place the shot on the animal in the proper place. Have you ever shot anything with them in a hunting situation or just at the range? FYI you also don't need a bonded bullet for antelope.

No bud. I talk like someone who has the sense to know he has 7 good range weekends before season and he had better get off the bench and practice with his new bipod instead of worrying which round to hit a pronghorn with. Although I'm sure that the perfect way to limit meat damage on a pronghorn is to miss him with my perfect round.

Hornady designed the SST with pronghorn in mind, fact. Plenty of people use SST for pronghorn, another fact. That is all is all I eluded to. Any careful reading ofy post would tell you that.

I suggest we go our separate ways. Please do not respond to my posts again.

Top Gun is right, I would heed his advice.

I didn’t listen about the Accubond Long Range when others warned me about how they rapidly expanded. I bought a case because they shot well, just like you did with the SST. After shooting an elk and deer and punching a football size exit hole with them, they sit on the shelf waiting to have the bullets pulled so I can use the cases.

There are quite a few post on here about the SSTs that you can read thru describing thier performance to back up Top Gun’s advice.

Last edited:
My favorite 'lope getter is a POS Ruger M77 tang safety in 25-06 Rem. I traded 2 fishing poles that my neighbor had given me a few years before to a guy. It isn't pretty, but I've worked some loads up and it's deadly accurate with 115gr Berger VLDH. I'm not sure I'd use the VLDH on larger, heavier game like an elk, etc; but, for deer sized animals it absolutely drops them.

Original work ups with data if anyone want's to try.
IMG_0259.jpg

Here is last weds at the range.

IMG_9556.jpg

No bud. I talk like someone who has the sense to know he has 7 good range weekends before season and he had better get off the bench and practice with his new bipod instead of worrying which round to hit a pronghorn with. Although I'm sure that the perfect way to limit meat damage on a pronghorn is to miss him with my perfect round.

Hornady designed the SST with pronghorn in mind, fact. Plenty of people use SST for pronghorn, another fact. That is all is all I eluded to. Any careful reading ofy post would tell you that.

I suggest we go our separate ways. Please do not respond to my posts again.

I'd suggest you go your separate way because I'll respond any time I feel like it when I've got 65 years of experience in the field and probably have shorts older than you, LOL! There was absolutely no reason for you to post your smart azz remarks when all people are trying to do is help you when you go on your first hunt. You obviously don't have much, if any, experience in hunting situations to make a silly post that you're using them just because they shoot good and are cheap. With that kind of comment maybe a varmint load would shoot even better in your rifle, but would you use it on an antelope?!

My favorite 'lope getter is a POS Ruger M77 tang safety in 25-06 Rem. I traded 2 fishing poles that my neighbor had given me a few years before to a guy. It isn't pretty, but I've worked some loads up and it's deadly accurate with 115gr Berger VLDH. I'm not sure I'd use the VLDH on larger, heavier game like an elk, etc; but, for deer sized animals it absolutely drops them.

Original work ups with data if anyone want's to try.
View attachment 85373

Here is last weds at the range.

View attachment 85368

IMHO the 25-06 is one of the most underrated out there. I also have a Ruger M77 with tang safety and a heavy barrel. If I'm experiencing a lot of wind the days I go out in Wyoming to fill my two doe antelope tags I'll probably use it with the 117 grain Hornady Interlock handloads, rather than my .243 Sako with the 100 grain Interlock handloads. The two rifles are like night and day in that the 25-06 is so heavy I don't care to pack it very far, while the Sako Forester is such a little rifle that it almost feels like I'm shooting a BB gun, LOL! Both shoot under MOA and the interlocks have never let me down in any caliber since I went with them.

IMHO the 25-06 is one of the most underrated out there. I also have a Ruger M77 with tang safety and a heavy barrel. If I'm experiencing a lot of wind the days I go out in Wyoming to fill my two doe antelope tags I'll probably use it with the 117 grain Hornady Interlock handloads, rather than my .243 Sako with the 100 grain Interlock handloads. The two rifles are like night and day in that the 25-06 is so heavy I don't care to pack it very far, while the Sako Forester is such a little rifle that it almost feels like I'm shooting a BB gun, LOL! Both shoot under MOA and the interlocks have never let me down in any caliber since I went with them.

I agree. I love the 25-06. It absolutely puts deer sized game on the ground.

Sounds like you got it all figured out! Nice to have options so you can tailor your rifle to conditions...good luck this year!

Shot plent of speed goats with my Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 with Nosler 140 AB. Leopold 3.5 x 14 on top.

I guess I prefer a .45-70. But any straight case, hyphenated cartridge is pretty much okay with me.

So far for me my favorite round has been a Goldtip arrow with a 100grn Spitfire broadhead. But this year I'm sure hoping to try a 140grn Accubond out of my 7mm-HT.

I'm working on a deal on a 338 Edge ..if it happens this weekend ...well you know what I'm shooting !!
Now just hope they pull my name out of the Hat today .

To start the season I'll be flingin a 100 grain broadleaf, then I'll definately fill the dome tag I got today with my 243 shooting 85 grain barnes tsx in front of superformance powder at about 3200 fps.

Back