Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite Clips/Scenes from Westerns

You can visit the location of this scene, east of Ridgway CO, just west of the summit of Owl Creek Pass, GMU 65. It is known as Debbie Reynolds meadow, because it was also a location in which of her movies?

The 'river' here is the Soap Creek arm of Blue Mesa reservoir, near Gunnison CO, GMU 54. When TG was filmed, the dam was recent and the reservoir had not fully filled, so all that you see in the movie is submerged. Friends from Gunnison recall being let out of school to watch the filming of this scene in the fall of 1968.

Other CO locations from the film are Last Dollar Ranch near Placerville and Telluride (Mattie's farm) GMU 70; the old Camp Bird mine shaft on private property near Ouray (the snake pit) GMU 65, town of Ridgway (hanging scene and all of Ft. Smith).
The dugout cabin shootout was filmed in CA (Hot creek, Mono County. Also used in the Steve McQueen western Nevada Smith).

Last edited:
My favorite western

is there anything more irritating to bad guy than having the hero repeat your own threat back to you word for word, all the time looking down the barrels of a double barreled 12 gauge...

Lots of good ones already shared. I was going to put up the gunfight meadow scene from True Grit but somone beat me to it. I tried to find the scene where they run the steers through town to get through the blockade in Chisum but couldn't find it.

This ending scene always pumped me up as a kid seeing John Wayne alone on his horse looking down at his ranch.

True Grit with Jeff Bridges is nonstop memorable one-liners. I think my favorite is "I am a foolish old man who has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpie in trousers and a nincompoop!"

Ben Johnson, the OG movie cowboy. He's the trooper who stole Shermans horse in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and was in many John Ford westerns.
Guy started out as a real buckaroo and got into it in the 30's, I shook his hand once .

Opening scene in Stagecoach and one of the best in my book. John Ford was the director who showed the expanse of the west, #1 .
Clint Eastwood took it to a new level. Reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back