Father and Son's First Bull

AggieHunter

A little back story to this hunt, my family and I moved to Colorado a few years ago and allowed for my father and I to have access to a lot more hunting opportunities. In 3 short years we have have harvested half a dozen animals, but I have always been the first shooter or the only one with a tag. Totally new to elk hunting we did a guided trip last year in which he missed a bull, but it was a very long shot. This year I decided to do OTC archery for elk meaning when rifle season came he would be the only shooter and I could focus on getting him an elk. We were lucky to have some other family members organizing a hunt in northern Colorado that we could join which took care of some of the camping and cooking aspects of the hunt. The only downside was the location was in a very heavily hunted area and I mean VERY. We saw so many trucks in the days before the season and zero elk. When opening morning came I had basically no plan except go sit a small park about 100 yards wide that was 1/2 mile from the road. We found some old elk sign but not enough to make me confident. As we drive out to this spot we see more trucks but luckily no one in the little pull off we planned to go to. We hiked in once legal light started so we could see better and sat down. At this point I had ZERO hope we would see and elk let alone a bull and wouldn't you know it about 30 minutes later I hear crashing from my right. Immediately I see cows about 30 yards away filter into the park followed by a young bull. I let my dad know he is legal and to get ready. They soon started to move across the park at about 80 yards and I whistled at the bull causing him to stop perfectly broadside. Without hesitation my dad shot and the bull hit the ground. To say we were both shocked was an understatement, as we spent the next few minutes trying to believe what happened. Still in disbelief we walked about to the bull and got to work. With temps dropping I got the bull quartered out and hung up. In 2 1/2 trips we had all the meat back to the truck and were headed back to camp in time for a late lunch! I am starting to understand the joy of seeing others harvest game as this year I successfully "guided" a friend who was new to hunting and my dad in harvesting their first elk.

He's not a big bull, but who cares its and elk!
IMG_3585.JPGIMG_3587.JPGIMG_3589.JPGIMG_3597.jpgIMG_6797.jpg

Awesome that everything came together for you guys. Congratulations!

That's good stuff, right there! My guess is that in a heavily hunted area, your strategy of sitting on that little park was probably as good as any more elaborate plan. With all those hunters pressuring them, the elk probably ventured into some areas that day they hadn't frequented in a while.

That's good stuff, right there! My guess is that in a heavily hunted area, your strategy of sitting on that little park was probably as good as any more elaborate plan. With all those hunters pressuring them, the elk probably ventured into some areas that day they hadn't frequented in a while.

As we were packing out we saw an atv parked right at the trail we took from the road to the park. They said they walked up that direction early so my guess is we were set up before them and they pushed them to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back