Family Tent

HighDesertSage

Well my Wal Mart Coleman that I use for family car camping finally bit the dust this past weekend and I am in the market for a new tent. I am looking for some suggestions or product recommendations for a family car camping tent. I already have a wall tent, and a backpacking tent, but I need something that I can put the family in during our summer expeditions that is easier to set up than the wall tent. It needs to be able to withstand the summer storms the Rockies can throw at you, 8 man size minimum, and my budget is ~$400.
I am looking pretty hard at the Cabela's West Wind (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe..._l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=west+wind), but wanted to look at all my options be fore I made a purchase. I appreciate anyone's thoughts or insite. Thanks!

I picked up an REI Kingdom 8 last year at a REI garage sale (each store has 2-4 per year) for $99 (regularly $480). It had a broken main pole and for $14 I had it repaired and it's good as new. If you live close to a town with a REI store, you can call the store for the dates of the "garage sales". If you go, get there 2-3 hours early so you're at the front of the line when the doors open. Then you have to hope there are some tents available. Good luck.

I really like the Outback Lodge plenty room to stand up in. It is perfect for an archery base camp for a couple guys and light enough for fly in or horseback hunts.

I have a kingdom 8 and love it. It needs to be staked down with guy lines to help with wind. I think it may be out of your price range though. Also alps mountaineering tents seem to be a bargain but I don't know if they have an 8 man version. Stay on rei's outlet, and check steep and cheep for some bargains. Ebay may have something also. Good luck

Rei kingdom 8 is $529, I know its a little higher but it sure is nice. You will get 10% back as a dividend if you become a member. The only complaints are about high winds. Again, make sure all the guy lines are attatched. Ours went through a good bit last year in Glacier and Yellostone.

Alps mountaineering meramac 8 ( three room tent ) is $259 at campmor. I have not seen this particular model but I have another one we use for backpacking. It isn't fancy but it is functional.

Good luck

Get a Kodiak Canvas tent and it will probably last you the next 30 years. I bought one and love it, I like being able to stand up in it and plenty of room for my family and dogs. Another big plus is that I can set it up by myself in 15-20 minutes which helps avoid frustrating my wife and I. Lol. Plus I use it in Sept for archery season for me and my brother. I have the 10x10 but they make a 10x14.

You can get them online and at cabelas for $500 or less.

I also wanted to mention how awesome the Kodiak canvas tent is in the Wyoming wind. Very sturdy but the cost is the weight of the tent, I think it's 60+ pounds for everything but for car camping it is awesome.

I bought the Cabelas 3 room cabin tent and really like it. Great family tent and 3 of use hunted out of it in CO for early season elk without a problem. It held up great in stronger winds when the other tent dropped. Couple of removable dividers for privacy too. One person can also put it up but much easier with 2.

Get a Kodiak Canvas tent and it will probably last you the next 30 years. I bought one and love it, I like being able to stand up in it and plenty of room for my family and dogs. Another big plus is that I can set it up by myself in 15-20 minutes which helps avoid frustrating my wife and I. Lol. Plus I use it in Sept for archery season for me and my brother. I have the 10x10 but they make a 10x14.

This. I have the 10x14 and it is great. I set it up in the headlights of my truck in less than 30 minutes. They also have an optional vestibule. Built very well.

Cushman had one of these on the bear hunt this year and I was really impressed by it.

If you are serious about the cabelas West wind, cabelas is offering 20% back in points if you have a cabelas card. But I'd still go with the Kodiak. ;)

I am very impressed with my Kodiak. It has withstood Wyoming wind and Colorado rain and snow flawlessly. The only downside is that there is no stove jack, But, At the bear hunt, I would light the smaller version of a Coleman buddy heater about a half hour before I was going to bed and let it run and zip the tent up and it was nice and cozy in there by bed time. I shut the heater off and climbed into the sleeping bag and life was good except for one night when it got down into the 20s and my bag is only rated for 30. But, the set up is amazingly easy and it actually folds down pretty small. You can find them on ebay stores on sale with free shipping a lot of times.

I am very impressed with my Kodiak. It has withstood Wyoming wind and Colorado rain and snow flawlessly. The only downside is that there is no stove jack, But, At the bear hunt, I would light the smaller version of a Coleman buddy heater about a half hour before I was going to bed and let it run and zip the tent up and it was nice and cozy in there by bed time. I shut the heater off and climbed into the sleeping bag and life was good except for one night when it got down into the 20s and my bag is only rated for 30. But, the set up is amazingly easy and it actually folds down pretty small. You can find them on ebay stores on sale with free shipping a lot of times.
No factory installed stove jack! A guy on another board put one in a Kodiak. Scroll down to the posts by TxTrapper. Looks like that'd work pretty sweet!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID28/639.html#.VWdL7pPYhdA

Putting in a stove basically loses space for a cot or easily 2 or 3 people sleeping on the ground. I'll stick to my buddy heaters and a good sleeping bag

I also have a Mr. Heater little buddy heater. When it got real cold, I hooked it up to my big propane tank and ran it through the night on low. It has a CO sensor and auto shut off if it gets knocked over. It definitely takes the chill out of the air first thing in the morning before you get out of your bag. Definitely would want a wall tent with a wood stove for colder weather, less than 25 degrees or so.

But for summer camping nothing beats the breathability of that Kodiak canvas tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back