Family Tent

I should also mention the only down side of the Kodiak canvas tent, it must be staked into the ground, it isn't free standing. So if you ever camp on a concrete pad or floor it won't set up unless you have a way to anchor the corners. Also, you might need longer stakes if put it up on sand, like on a beach.

I have a properly rated sleeping bag for cold nights. I'd rather not die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Buddy heaters are approved for indoor use and have an oxygen sensor. That being said a carbon monoxide alarm would be added protection. Properly rated sleeping bags are probably better but not all kids will stay in one all night without issue in my experience.

If you are serious about the cabelas West wind, cabelas is offering 20% back in points if you have a cabelas card. But I'd still go with the Kodiak. ;)

I bought my Kodiak through Cabelas! I had to special order it, but I believe I took advantage of a promo which put the price to what I could find on the interweb. But I also cashed in Cabelas points and took it home for almost nothing.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kodi...=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=kodiak+tent

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up with the Cabela's 6 man West wind tent. They had it for $80 off this weekend. I set it up in the backyard and it seems like a very well built product. I am happy with it so far.

You'll be happy with that tent. We got our Kodiak out for the first time last weekend, we camped at 8200ft. It Got down to 30F Saturday night, fired up the little buddy heater for the wife in the middle of the night. I was sleeping on top of my bag after an hour, I was roasting. Had to have been at least 70 in our tent. Hope you enjoy your tent. Have a great summer!

Attachments

• IMAG1266_1.jpg
    IMAG1266_1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 138
You'll be happy with that tent. We got our Kodiak out for the first time last weekend, we camped at 8200ft. It Got down to 30F Saturday night, fired up the little buddy heater for the wife in the middle of the night. I was sleeping on top of my bag after an hour, I was roasting. Had to have been at least 70 in our tent. Hope you enjoy your tent. Have a great summer!

I knew smurfs were real.

Flex bow, is what I have pictured above in 10x10. The 10x14 has a larger footprint but the roof is the same size. So while you get a larger floor, the walls are more angled. It may not gain you much room if using cots.

The cabins look pretty nice but I don't think they are as easy to set up. I can do mine by myself in about 15 min, pretty good IMO for that size of tent.

Flex bow, is what I have pictured above in 10x10. The 10x14 has a larger footprint but the roof is the same size. So while you get a larger floor, the walls are more angled. It may not gain you much room if using cots.

The cabins look pretty nice but I don't think they are as easy to set up. I can do mine by myself in about 15 min, pretty good IMO for that size of tent.

The Flex Bow looks easier to set up, they have a few set up at Sportsmans and I was checking them out...lots of room in them, and look very sturdy.

Sturdy indeed. There is a YouTube video out there that has a Springbar (original American made version of Kodiak) in pretty strong winds and it held up surprisingly well. Fortunately, I haven't had to test mine out in that kind of weather yet.

I already have an Alaknak but my wife wants something she can take a few kids out camping with by herself and they can put up, minimal maintenance. I'm thinking this is a winner...since I can use it for quick early season trips too if I want.

Since im thinking about getting a wall tent as well. I would use mine for car camping in the nc outer banks fishing in the fall and possibly setting it up for a mountain biking trip to the mountains..

Has anyone bought any of the barebones wall tents. They look well built but expensive.

Back