Yeti GOBOX Collection

Base Camp Tent Options For a Family of 4

Hey just checking in on this a year later. How is the ozark trail tent holding up?

Would you do it again?

Yea its been fine. No issues with it. Just take care of your stuff and it will hold up perfectly fine. Also dont use it during a freakin snow or wind storm. Doesn't matter how expensive your tent is. Mother nature always wins.

Yea its been fine. No issues with it. Just take care of your stuff and it will hold up perfectly fine. Also dont use it during a freakin snow or wind storm. Doesn't matter how expensive your tent is. Mother nature always wins.
I appreciate the response! I am on the fence between trying it or getting a used canvas tent on marketplace. Feel like there are pros and cons with either option.

I've got a 12x14 framed cabin Tent with a 12x10 add on for a cook tent both have stove jacks then I had a boot/sleeve added so I could use a AC unit during the Texas Dove season. Never had the whole family out in it,I have set it up in the yard for my wife to see if it met her approval. which it did. you might want to check Davis Tent and awning Company out of Denver COLORADO.they are reasonably priced.

I also purchased the same tent. I like it a lot. I also have a Davis 14x16. The Ozark trail one is my preferred one for quick weekend camping. One issue I find is that the pvc material makes condensation form easier in the inside when sleeping but I only notice it in the Midwest where humidity is more an issue than when I go out west. Great value and it comes with a stove jack!

Figure I could circle back on this and let everyone know what we decided and how it's worked out.

I bought the seek outside 8 man tipi with a stove and half nest. Pretty spendy buy ($2k) that I wish I could have found used. I justified the purchase as we used it on a 7 day late season elk hunt in sub freezing temps. A hotel would have cost about the same for that week.

It's been a good tent, but not without its faults. Plenty of room. We used it on a week long camping trip with the kids during spring Turkey and let them pitch their own tent on the opposite side of our half nest. Worked really well as the interior of these tips are quite massive.

Pitching has been tricky to dial in and, let me tell you, finding a suitable footprint is NOT easy. For this reason, it's very limited in its use case in my opinion. In fact, we are planning to bring it on our elk hunt this year and I have no idea where it could be set up in the areas I have scouted.

The stove is very nice. On our late season hunt when temps got down into the low single digits, three of us rotated shifts through the night and stayed very warm and comfortable all night. Staying warm while gearing up in the morning is a game changer too.

If I'm buying again I might go for something with a little square in structure like a wall tent. I couldnt do canvas though because of our primary climate. This because my big aspirations of using it for back country base camping seems a bit unrealistic considering the footprint. Time will tell, though.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas.

Can no longer recommend Davis wall tent after my last purchase.

Guess I’ll be going with Montana canvas next purchase.

I have the cabelas bighorn III and it has been great, main con is the weight. we have the disco cot bunk cots for the kids and we fit four no problem if we bunked our cots would be even more. I used wood stove first couple years then went to a big buddy heater run a 6' line out to a big tank outside the tent. Used for years no issues.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on extended stay camping solutions a family of 4. Climate would vary from 95 degrees (Florida) down to single digits (rare) and I would expect to deal with snow.

We’ve been heavy into the western stuff for the last 4 years. Wife and I almost always spike out or “rough” camp it when we head out west. We bring our kids on hunting/camping trips in our home state and would like to start expanding that to Western adventures.

Looking for something that will last and allow us to camp in comfort with a 4 and 5 year old as they grow.

Canvas wall tent seems like overkill and probably not suitable for most of our camping in Florida. I’m also not sure how well canvas would do with our extremely high levels of humidity/moisture? I don't know, though. Maybe a canvas is what I want?

The 12X20 Cabelas Alaknak looks like it could be a pretty good option. Though, 12X20 seems HUGE to me and I’m wonder if it’s too much?

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you all may have.

95 degrees? Camping? Nothing says RV with a strong a/c unit to me like that. I have a great wall tent but I will not tent camp in the Texas summer heat. No way I am sleeping outdoors in that heat. Just not physically possible. I have even thought about getting a window a/c unit for the tent to use it in the summer some.

They make a/c units with hoses for that. Seems like I saw some tents with hookups. Me, I only camp 3000' or higher in summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back