Fall Turkey Hunting Advice

mcelweed

I have obtained permission to hunt a property with a large population of turkeys this fall with my daughter. I have only hunted turkeys in the spring. Other than the toms not chasing the hens as much what are some other differences? Any differences in set ups? Calling? Decoys or no decoys? Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've shot a few in the fall but always while deer hunting. From what I've seen toms are often in their own flocks. I've also found that the birds are much easier to call in, but often come in silently and they take their time. If you can shoot one that was born this spring you are in for some good eating.

Right now the birds are divided into three distinct groups. Hens with their poults, barren hens and the bachelor groups. Traditional turkey hunting in the fall oftentimes includes intentionally busting up a flock (dog breeds have been developed to do this job) and then calling the scattered flock back to you. This works best with the young of the year and hens as they tend to group up rather quickly. Act like the boss hen, yelping and clucking, and in short order, the whistles and kee-kees of the young turkeys will start working their way back to you.

The only way that I have ever taken fall birds is spot/stalk or patterning their movements. I plan to be in the underbrush this Saturday waiting on the boys to make their way to the favorite loafing place where I will be waiting on them with 12 gauge in hand.

Hope you score a turkey, and know you will have a fun adventure with your daughter.

Thanks for the advice. This will be in farmland so there won't be much opportunity for spot-and-stalk. I will be relying on the land owner for patterning advice and try to set up on their travel routes to feed or dusting. My daughter really wants to bag a tom, but I'll take either a hen or tom. Hopefully two turkeys just in time for Thanksgiving.

I have hunted turkeys in the fall a few times. Mature toms are difficult to bag in the fall. I often look for sign at the edge of fields or pinch points. You will find droppings, bird foot prints and often dusty areas where the turkeys flip dust up to control mites that cause them to itch.

If you see a flock of hens and poults in the fall walk along a fence then to a pond at 10:25am one day then you can expect them to pass there about that time the next day and the next, etc, unless a bobcat or coyote disrupts the pattern.

I have called in toms using a wingbone call. Makes a hollow whistle. Not a fool proof method but have had some success getting toms to come in. Will be 1 or 2 or 3 typically whereas the hens/poult groups will be a dozen or several dozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMu6E-gk9w

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back