Turkey Gear List

Jamen

I have not put in for turkeys in over a decade for a spring tag. All of my turkey experience has been sneaking up and blasting them. This year the old man asked me if i wanted to put in for turkeys with him. He is almost done with hunting, age and injuries makes it not enjoyable for him anymore. So, i jumped at the opportunity to hopefully draw a tag with him. Luck was on our side and we both drew.

I never got too excited about turkey hunting hence the lack of applying. But this time i want to give it a real shot. I have an old box call and that's it! my thinking one or two hen decoys and maybe a jake? do I buy a mouth call or slate? stick with the box call?

I will be using my grandpa's double barrel 10 gauge. It was given to me after he passed from my mom. Never had a real reason to use it but this seems like the perfect time.

Thanks!
Jamen

I’d go with a diaphragm call instead and practice with it on your drive to work so that you don’t drive your spouse crazy practicing at home.
One decoy is fine. All I use is a Jake and have had plenty of success. Other than that, I bring a small lightweight pad to sit on so I don’t get a wet butt. This can also come attached to a turkey vest, but springing for that isn’t necessary.
Wear camo. Along with waterfowling, turkey hunting is the only other type of hunting, IMO, where camo is truly needed, especially on your face and hands since those move the most. A simple face net will do, I hate face paint and would never use it.
Good luck!

I never use diaphragm calls, but to each their own. My favorite slate is by JTcalls. The all weather crystal over slate works in the rain and it has a slate on the bottom for a different sound. It takes about 5 minutes to become proficient with and you can call light or crank down enough to break windows. They are also half the price of Woodhaven.

I'm iffy on decoys. Sometimes they work great sometimes turkeys are weary. I have better luck by setting up where the first time the turkey can see my calling location also has him in range.

Get a box of tss 8s for the 10. Get a good seat cushion and a face mask.

Do not put TSS in anything you mind getting roughed up inside. SxS tend to be a challenge to shoot TSS to pont of aim. I'd look for something close to whatever it would have been made to use. A heavy load of hard lead 7.5s will floor a gobbler inside 40 yards in fair weather.

Buy the old man an Alps turkey chair.

Leave the turkey dolls on the shelf. Call the bird to a spot it has to approach within forty yards to see you.

If the old box call sounds like a real turkey where you will hunt, use it. If you dont know exactly how a turkey sounds, start with learning that first.

Do not put TSS in anything you mind getting roughed up inside. SxS tend to be a challenge to shoot TSS to pont of aim. I'd look for something close to whatever it would have been made to use. A heavy load of hard lead 7.5s will floor a gobbler inside 40 yards in fair weather.

Buy the old man an Alps turkey chair.

Leave the turkey dolls on the shelf. Call the bird to a spot it has to approach within forty yards to see you.

If the old box call sounds like a real turkey where you will hunt, use it. If you dont know exactly how a turkey sounds, start with learning that first.
Please provide a reliable source for your tss claims. Discouraging tss in an older, likely fixed modified or full choke which is where tss shines and recommending lead 7.5s. I hope you are trolling because nobody should take that advice seriously.

Please provide a reliable source for your tss claims. Discouraging tss in an older, likely fixed modified or full choke which is where tss shines and recommending lead 7.5s. I hope you are trolling because nobody should take that advice seriously.
Tungsten is harder than lead, and I personally wouldn't want to risk damaging an heirloom when lead will work just as well

^- reliable source.

TSS will score a chromed bore if it gets loose from a wad. It will bang up a short forcing cone. You can expect your choke to show wear and tear. That's why the load data lists double wads and/or mylar wraps.

Pb 7.5s used to be common for gobblers. There really isn't much a hard lead 7.5 won't do as far as head shots if you can get enough of them on target, going fast enough.

They won't hold a pattern as far as larger sizes, though. The heavier loads started slowing in sales and disappeared in turkey loads about the time specialty turkey chokes started to become popular.

I mainly use a box call but I’ll have my mouth call ready if I think they are getting close solely to reduce movement. I hope y’all have a good time and turkeys are awesome

^- reliable source.

TSS will score a chromed bore if it gets loose from a wad. It will bang up a short forcing cone. You can expect your choke to show wear and tear. That's why the load data lists double wads and/or mylar wraps.

Pb 7.5s used to be common for gobblers. There really isn't much a hard lead 7.5 won't do as far as head shots if you can get enough of them on target, going fast enough.

They won't hold a pattern as far as larger sizes, though. The heavier loads started slowing in sales and disappeared in turkey loads about the time specialty turkey chokes started to become popular.
So it will do the same damage as steel shot if your loading technique is bad....I asked apex about barrel damage in old a5s and win 24s. They don't share your concerns.

Steel has nothing on 18g/cc tungsten.

Considering Apex started selling shells before they bothered to have the load data they were using pressure tested, I'd say it's probably correct they don't share concerns.

IMO, don’t ditch the decoy like others suggested. More than anything, the jake decoy keeps a Tom’s eyes off of you. If one is committed to coming in and they see the jake, they will veer towards it almost every time and in so doing will provide you with a nice open shot as long as you positioned the decoy accordingly. You don’t need an expensive one either. I use a cheap hollow foam one that I can easily fold into my daypack and it works great.

I'm going to give turkey hunting a try for the first time now that I'm 60! My Browning BPS is a fixed modified choke (bought as a teenager to hunt pheasants in IA). Looking for a newer barrel with choke threads, but they're hard to find. Following this thread to gain insight too.

AM.

You can get an entire Mossberg for the cost of a BPS barrel. I'd go 20ga.

I'm finding that out! Part of it is the sentimental aspect of putting a gun to use that I bought new 40+ years ago.
I suggest killing the first one with the Mossberg then go to the BPS with a heavy lead load the rest of the season. Modified will work fine, just at a shorter range.

I have not put in for turkeys in over a decade for a spring tag. All of my turkey experience has been sneaking up and blasting them. This year the old man asked me if i wanted to put in for turkeys with him. He is almost done with hunting, age and injuries makes it not enjoyable for him anymore. So, i jumped at the opportunity to hopefully draw a tag with him. Luck was on our side and we both drew.

I never got too excited about turkey hunting hence the lack of applying. But this time i want to give it a real shot. I have an old box call and that's it! my thinking one or two hen decoys and maybe a jake? do I buy a mouth call or slate? stick with the box call?

I will be using my grandpa's double barrel 10 gauge. It was given to me after he passed from my mom. Never had a real reason to use it but this seems like the perfect time.

Thanks!
Jamen
I usually put out a hen and a jake decoy, they seem to hate the jake and usually come in looking to fight. As for the calls, it doesn’t matter as long as you can sound somewhat realistic. Good luck to you guys!

I usually put out a hen and a jake decoy, they seem to hate the jake and usually come in looking to fight. As for the calls, it doesn’t matter as long as you can sound somewhat realistic. Good luck to you guys!
Thanks! I ended up getting a Tom a few weeks back! was a lot of fun.

I always like having a little rollup blind with me. Spreading the blind in front of you when cover is sparse makes a big difference. It also allows for a little more movement if needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back