Fall Turkey tactics?

Buck Fever NW

Curious about fall turkey tactics (versus spring methods).

I'm not an experienced turkey hunter (have hunted one spring and harvested one), but my son and I have access to hunt a property in a couple of weeks where it sounds like there are a reasonable number of birds living. This is Oak Savannah type habitat (Oregon Willamette valley).

All set on ammo, guns, extra full chokes, camo etc. just curious if any experienced fall hunters have any general tips regarding use of decoys, calling, tactics.

I understand toms are usually bunched up with other toms and vice versa for hens (bag limit is either sex) and they are mostly focused on food in the fall rather than mating as in spring.

My plan currently is for us to just post up against oak trees adjacent to likely feeding areas and maybe put out decoys and just wait. I have a slate call I may use sparingly, but a little hesitant because I'm not really experienced with it, we'll see. I've seen that some people even try spot and stalk or even "flock busting" and ambushing as they re-group but not sure about those at this point.

Anyway, this is a low pressure hunt and the opportunity just came up recently so just go gonna go and have some fun with the boy. Any tips or insight are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck. I think patterning is best. Try to observe and then get in place where you think they will be ahead of them. when they are flocked up there are so many more eyes that can catch movement you make.

But if they do bust on you, you might quickly reposition so that you are in between the flock and then make some calls to bring some looking for the flock. Don't assume that you messed up and give up your hunt just because they busted.

I grew up fall turkey hunting in Pennsylvania and while I always ran into flocks of hens and poults, I never could bag a tom in the fall. How I was taught growing up was you bust up the flock in the fall, wait 30 minutes, and then call in a lost bird. While it's effective, especially on poults, it's not the only way to hunt them. One thing about those bigger fall flocks is they're noisy and leave a lot of sign. My experience is they usually head for a feeding area right after leaving the roost in the morning. So if you know where both locations are, just position yourself in between in the morning.

Good luck!

Roost, sneak in under cover of darkness and gusty winds, BOOM! That worked for me this fall.

Normally not off the roost, but definitely knowing the flock tendencies and waiting in ambush (with occasional soft yelps and kee-kees to help steer them specifically towards you rather the three other trails they could take)

With an any sex tag, I chose to only take a male bird as our population is trending downward, and I want as many breeders as possible.

I second Kansasdad, treat it like spring and get in under the birds well ahead of time. They’re still quite noisy. I wouldn’t be afraid to call a bit, and I’d also lean toward a Tom either way, myself. As you stated, they will be in groups of hens and poults, and toms and Jake’s somewhere not far, maybe within the mile- even our Merriams.. good luck!!!

Pattern them and set up ambush. Also scatter them wait a few minutes, then do a lost call, should get a few to come back in.
Fill your tag with whatever is legal and will make you happy.

Lost hen call brings them in for me.
I shot one about a week ago. I forgot about the ground shrinkage when they are puffed up against the snow.

Finally got out last week to a spot I “had” them pretty well patterned. Guess the wind changed their MO…cleared off the roost the other direction never to return!

CF10695F-625C-4403-BF45-1A299DA46B60.jpeg

Thanks for the tips all, appreciate those. We'll be trying for toms for sure but population of birds is fortunately not an issue in this area so with this being my son's first turkey hunt, he may take a hen. He wants a tom though, haha. Bag limit is actually 2 per hunter per day.

Yeah, our plan is to get there before light and set up near the roost area, hopefully between their feeding area. I have one Tom and one hen decoy so I think we'll spread out a 100 yards or so with the Tom decoy in front of him and the hen for me.

If that fails maybe try going to them and trying to ambush but more likely busting a flock and maybe catching them on the return.

Back