Burning my turkey tag

Stocker

For a good reason. I had the best turkey hunt of my life today. I took my son and his cousin out again today. We’ve been on turkeys all spring but it just hasn’t worked out. My sons cousin has never killed one so we went to a spot I’ve been being pestered by jakes all year hoping we could at least call one of those in. Turkeys were very vocal this morning but didn’t want to move much. Taking 2 10 year old boys is perfect for me because they are just as impatient as I am so we are always moving. We heard a group of birds gobbling so we snuck in to within 150 or so yards and setup.

I’ve been a part of a bunch of turkey kills, doubles, big toms, ect. This one tops them all. I setup the decoys, we get behind an old root ball with good cover and good rests. It takes about 10 minutes of clucks and purrs to get the Tom’s to start coming in. I told the boys, shoot the one on your side and if there’s a chance to count it down. The birds came in pretty leery, from our far right then eased into the decoys. I heard one boy say “ready” the other said “yes”, a quick countdown from 3, 2 shots that sounded like one and both Tom’s died right in their tracks. They barley flopped. It was unreal how they were so composed and made it happen. I couldn’t be more proud of them. 7B05B08C-6F4A-4A35-B78F-62854F2DEAF4.jpeg37FD21A2-15AD-4184-B43C-9985EC667C22.jpeg

Love it! I'm sure that's something those boys wont forget. Great job getting them out and onto some birds!

For a good reason. I had the best turkey hunt of my life today. I took my son and his cousin out again today. We’ve been on turkeys all spring but it just hasn’t worked out. My sons cousin has never killed one so we went to a spot I’ve been being pestered by jakes all year hoping we could at least call one of those in. Turkeys were very vocal this morning but didn’t want to move much. Taking 2 10 year old boys is perfect for me because they are just as impatient as I am so we are always moving. We heard a group of birds gobbling so we snuck in to within 150 or so yards and setup.

I’ve been a part of a bunch of turkey kills, doubles, big toms, ect. This one tops them all. I setup the decoys, we get behind an old root ball with good cover and good rests. It takes about 10 minutes of clucks and purrs to get the Tom’s to start coming in. I told the boys, shoot the one on your side and if there’s a chance to count it down. The birds came in pretty leery, from our far right then eased into the decoys. I heard one boy say “ready” the other said “yes”, a quick countdown from 3, 2 shots that sounded like one and both Tom’s died right in their tracks. They barley flopped. It was unreal how they were so composed and made it happen. I couldn’t be more proud of them. View attachment 275353View attachment 275354
Dude!! No way!!! HAHA!!!

Big congrats boys! That’s awesome!!!!

I’ve been a part of a bunch of turkey kills, doubles, big toms, ect. This one tops them all. I setup the decoys, we get behind an old root ball with good cover and good rests. It takes about 10 minutes of clucks and purrs to get the Tom’s to start coming in. I told the boys, shoot the one on your side and if there’s a chance to count it down. The birds came in pretty leery, from our far right then eased into the decoys. I heard one boy say “ready” the other said “yes”, a quick countdown from 3, 2 shots that sounded like one and both Tom’s died right in their tracks. They barley flopped. It was unreal how they were so composed and made it happen. I couldn’t be more proud of them. View attachment 275353View attachment 275354
Only way it could have been better than that was if you were hunting in Iowa... :) Just kiddin'

That’s just beyond cool. Congratulations to the young men and well done to you—that’ll live in them their whole lives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back