Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Everyones favorite title, first time elk questions.

Mainemoose

Hey guys/girls, so gearing up for a first time elk hunt out west, not going to ask for spots, just wanted to get some opinions on a few things, first, I'm gonna try for a rut archery hunt, and I'll be going solo, which I know runs alot of extra stuff to think about, any tips for a solo hunter? I'm used to packing heavy so that's not a worry for me. Second, I'm aware of how a two person calling set up would work, but how would you modify that for a single hunter? More aggressive/less agressive? Third, would glassing be a worth while strategy? Trying to decide if I should pick up a spotting scope.

Thanks in advance!

Call aggressively,You want them in close.Glass-Yes,but a spotting scope may be going a bit overboard.
As for being used to packing heavy,You will know what Heavy is If you kill a Bull way back in the way back!
Welcome to the Forum..as long as that lasts. :cool:

Ok, that makes sence, and I was think that as well, I'm not aiming to count points just looking to see bull vs cow. Oh I know, I'll regret being alone about as soon as one hits the ground, but I've packed out enough moose out of hell holes to know vaguely what I'm getting into. Thanks!

Ok, that makes sence, and I was think that as well, I'm not aiming to count points just looking to see bull vs cow. Oh I know, I'll regret being alone about as soon as one hits the ground, but I've packed out enough moose out of hell holes to know vaguely what I'm getting into. Thanks!

If you've packed Moose,You've "Seen The Beast"Go Gettm' :cool:

Finding elk is the first obstacle. You probably don't need a spotting scope, but you need to stop and look and listen and lot. You only have one set of eyes and hiking and looking don't go well together, especially in rough terrain. In calling, you have to call and move in anticipation of what the elk is going to do. You have to play two roles and almost be in two places at once. If you see an elk, assume there are more. Elk at not solitary animals. Where there is one there are usually more and they are often hard to spot.
Also assume this will be one of the hardest things you do. Being successful is a high-quality problem.

The biggest thing for a lot of people is just staying in the game mentally. Anyone can hit it hard for a day or two, but can you keep pushing for days on end without giving in to that urge to take a day or two off or start truck hunting? I run into that problem every year...stick with it and at the very least, you won't have regrets that you didn't push hard enough!

Thanks Guys! Solid Advice from both of ya! Saj-99 so basically your saying that i should be trying to pull off the same idea as the two person calling set up solo? basically trying to draw one back and almost move forward on him at the same time? oh I know this is gonna be about the hardest thing I've ever done, just waiting to see the magnitude of it, but I'm going into this with the main goal being learning and getting my ..... kicked, actually sealing the deal would just be a bonus.

Cody, i can entirely see that being a problem, and im sure it will be a struggle, but im pretty determined to go and give it everything. a 31 hour drive home is a pretty good deterant for being lazy to me ha

Thanks Guys! Solid Advice from both of ya! Saj-99 so basically your saying that i should be trying to pull off the same idea as the two person calling set up solo? basically trying to draw one back and almost move forward on him at the same time? oh I know this is gonna be about the hardest thing I've ever done, just waiting to see the magnitude of it, but I'm going into this with the main goal being learning and getting my ..... kicked, actually sealing the deal would just be a bonus.

Agree with Cody. See my Thread on Hunting Alone. The mental game you play with yourself is killer.

If I was trying to bring in a decent size/aged bull, I would try to be both caller and shooter. I have had spikes sprint toward me after making a cow call, but that is an exception. Any half-wary bull is going to try to get a visual on what he is dealing with. This is why they often "hang up". When he doesn't see you he is going to reposition downwind and try to get the high ground if possible. They have an amazing ability to know exactly where a call came from. When I call, and to be honest I rarely do, I call and move to where I think the bull might try to go. The more aggressive the bull, the faster you have to move after calling. It is a guessing game because it is hard to be two places at once. The alternative is to call and see what happens. The only advice there is to knock an arrow and be ready. Either way, getting into the elk will a blast and you might get lucky.
Good luck.

Saj, I think I might have seen that one, but I will definitly check it out. Trying my best to soak up info and ideas from all available sources.

Do you think that using the call as a locator and then doing more of a stalk would be a better strategy? I guess the good news for me is I get to work a job that allows me to block out 3 weeks for this thing, so I get alot of time to try different things and strategy and blow stalks in new and interesting ways! But seriously, very solid advice and I really appreciate it!

I’m a novice elk hunter at best with only 2 elk hunts under my belt. I do know that a spotting scope would have been useless to me in the 2 units I hunted. I guess it depends on terrain you will be in.

Hey guys/girls, so gearing up for a first time elk hunt out west, not going to ask for spots, just wanted to get some opinions on a few things, first, I'm gonna try for a rut archery hunt, and I'll be going solo, which I know runs alot of extra stuff to think about, any tips for a solo hunter? I'm used to packing heavy so that's not a worry for me. Second, I'm aware of how a two person calling set up would work, but how would you modify that for a single hunter? More aggressive/less agressive? Third, would glassing be a worth while strategy? Trying to decide if I should pick up a spotting scope.

Thanks in advance!

Solo: A Montana Decoy would be essential. When I'm solo, I'll call and if a response, I'll play the aggressive call game though usually try to play a higher pitch and replicate. I'm not a picky hunter and don't want to scare off a satellite bull or smaller herd bull.
Once I'm getting the notion it's moving in, (it's amazing how fast they cover ground) I'll figure the wind and move to a position I feel best serves, tactically... With the cow out and the bull closing distance, I'll cow call then hope the bull dials in on the decoy - perfumed up with cow wiz. At that point, I hope I've played my cards right and he feels he has his cow and bullied me off and I have good shooting lanes.
If he calls but doesn't move in... Depending on the setting, I'll move in towards him though I've been busted a few times...
A decoy solo is a must.

No spotting scope, yes good binos, a packable roll up sled will save countless miles, solo as mentioned in another thread.

Solo, as I hike, I'll give a simple cow call randomly... Every couple hundred yards. A cow call response or a short bugle has led me to them otherwise, I would have plugged right by and spooked em.

I'm no guru elk hunter. I'm an average Joe though the above has helped my solo adventures... Now slinging an arrow is another matter. The above has been successful though either the wind, a cow or bad shooting lanes has stumped many opportunities.

Best to ya. Take pics and share your adventure. :)

Last edited:
I’m a novice elk hunter at best with only 2 elk hunts under my belt. I do know that a spotting scope would have been useless to me in the 2 units I hunted. I guess it depends on terrain you will be in.
Yeah. I was on the fence before this post because I also doubted how much use it would actually see use, so I think if one does come itll stay in the truck.

Solo: A Montana Decoy would be essential. When I'm solo, I'll call and if a response, I'll play the aggressive call game though usually try to play a higher pitch and replicate. I'm not a picky hunter and don't want to scare off a satellite bull or smaller herd bull.
Once I'm getting the notion it's moving in, (it's amazing how fast they cover ground) I'll figure the wind and move to a position I feel best serves, tactically... With the cow out and the bull closing distance, I'll cow call then hope the bull dials in on the decoy - perfumed up with cow wiz. At that point, I hope I've played my cards right and he feels he has his cow and bullied me off and I have good shooting lanes.
If he calls but doesn't move in... Depending on the setting, I'll move in towards him though I've been busted a few times...
A decoy solo is a must.

No spotting scope, yes good binos, a packable roll up sled will save countless miles, solo as mentioned in another thread.

Solo, as I hike, I'll give a simple cow call randomly... Every couple hundred yards. A cow call response or a shirt bugle has led me to them otherwise, I would have plugged right by and spooked em.

I'm no guru elk hunter. I'm an average Joe though the above has helped my solo adventures... Now slinging an arrow is another matter. The above has been successful though either the wind, a cow or bad shooting lanes has stumped many opportunities.

Best to ya. Take pics and share your adventure. :)

I hadnt thought about a decoy, I might have to look into that, worth a shot anyway and your right. It would give something visual to help. I've never heard or seen the sled thing, got a link or picture by chance?

I like the passive/ calling while moving calling strategy too, I've used that with some success on some other animals.

Thanks!

I use the gutless method and use alaska game bags for the meat. The bagged meat is much easier to position on the sled... Least in my experience and they suck if having to drag over deadfall. Though on trails they're great! Beats additional trip(s).

BTW, not my deer pic (wish). This is to show how it rolls out and used as a sled. And I don't like trying to sled out the body in parts... Hard to place weight appropriately. They will slide / roll if weighted wrong for pulling.
And again, I do not process to be the bull killer king. This is simply what's worked for myself. Others with much more skill I'm sure could shed quality info. Try the search function for elk info. This place is full of great / useful info.
138754_ts.jpg

1566181412266.jpeg

Last edited:
I second the Montana decoy, especially on a solo hunt. In my experience they have an uncanny ability to go right to the last bush the call came from. Even if it was many minutes before.

I generally hunt by myself. One of the tactics I’ve used while calling alone is use obstacles to your advantage, i.e. blow downs, cliffs, thick brush. I also call a lot using ridge lines so the elk has to come over the top too see. Elk always want to see other elk and smell them. Take that away using the above said obstacles and you will be shooting elk a 20 yards or less!
As far as how aggressive on the call to be that’s really up to the bull that your calling in, need to “read” his attitude.
Glassing is up to how open of terrain you are hunting. More open equals more glassing.
Good luck!
Matt

sytes, i will definitly look into that sled, looks like a great idea once your onto some trails, but i can definitely see how that would be rough over blowdowns and stuff. Definitly going to look into the montana decoy as well.

Matt, i see what your saying, basically draw him to a spot where he needs to show himself, ill add that one to the list. yeah, i figured that the calling would have to be tailored to the individual bull, but nice to hear that confirmed. im just gonna run my binos and leave a spotter in the truck, if i decide i need it, its there, if not its no more weight on my back.

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate everyone's advice!
-Kyle

I have one of those roll-up sleds, and have pulled several elk out on it. Half a bull will fit on it, and the antlers want to catch on everything. Hunt uphill as much as possible. It's a lot easier to drag/carry downhill.

I’ve been considering a spotter for a few years myself and every year I put off buying one. Looking back, my binos have done everything I need and the spotter would just be deadweight plus the tripod.

I’ve been considering a spotter for a few years myself and every year I put off buying one. Looking back, my binos have done everything I need and the spotter would just be deadweight plus the tripod.
that was my worry originally as well, now its pretty much confirmed. if i find some extra cash, i might grab one and leave it in the truck, because its an excuse to buy one for future adventures.

Reactions: BRP
Back