Every dog has its day!

Elkmagnet

This is my 08 buck it was a very fun hunt with my smokepole and my wife in tow. We spent 8 weekends scouting. Backpacked in 2 times and just spent the whole summer in the unit having fun. On the 3rd day of the season We started getting snow and I was yet to find the buck that I had been watching. It snowed a lot that day I think it was close to 20 in and every one was getting there campers and getting over the pass. That has to be the best part about a wall tent if my truck will move we can get out. I told my wife not to worry about the weather we needed to find that buck and quick with this much snow who knows where he will move. So we did everything we could to get up the mountian it took a lot of work but was worth every inch. After a 5 mi truck ride and a 2mi hike that should take no time at all but took half of the day crystal was getting fed up with me saying its just over here a little more, ok more to the east when we finaly crested the ridge we wanted to glass. It took all of two min to spot him thrashing some oak brush. The wind was wrong and he could see me comming from any angle but stright behind him. So I backed off to go around. With crystal there to watch him in the spotter. I took two full hours to go around him and come in from behind him I crawled in the snow the last 75yd stopping to glass every ten or so yards well at 35 yards I see tips and think he's beded so I crawl to the side and look up and we make eye contact he stands and goes to run. I pray that my muzzy gun goes off as I pull the trigger it does and he jumps and goes 10 yards makes a circle and falls. The best part is crystal got to watch the whole thing from about a mile away. Rip away fellas!

Attachments

• PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 970
  • PICT0193.jpg
    PICT0193.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 981
  • PICT0204changed (2).jpg
    PICT0204changed (2).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 975
  • 2010-04-09 18.22.48.jpg
    2010-04-09 18.22.48.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:
Not just a casual walk along a roadway to get that done. What a memory maker for both of you.

Sweet buck. Too bad it wasn't with a bow : ). All I can say is a buck like that needs to be a wall pedistal mount. That or have his own pedistal. I've broken the 180 mark but that guy is well over 200.

Its easy to tell the difference between a 29 wide 176 and a 32 wide 203. I do wish I had spent the money to get better taxi work on the big one now. The 176s taxi work is great imo.

Attachments

• our mounts.jpg
    our mounts.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 889
Nice thing about antlers, is you have a second chance on taxi work.

I screwed up on a grizzly to save a few bucks and regret it every time I look at it.

Congrats on some great mulies!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back