Euro deer

mtmiller

Fellas, killed a buck this year and unfortunately squashed the scull plate. Any recommendations on how I can put these on a skull that will look natural? Are those fake skulls realistic? What is the best one out there for those that have experience with them? Other options?

Just let the dog chew on the replica before you mount them, give it that real look! Really I looked at a couple for my son Travo and they did look pretty nice and these were the Academy Sports cheap models. John

I have used the both the Mountain Mikes skull plate and shed kits. IMO they don't look that great if you just slap the antlers on and use some caulk(which there is never enough of) in the seams. However, if you put some time into these skulls, they can look pretty good. (More caulk, some steel wool and raw umber to take the shine and snow white color away) One negative for me is these kits do not have an accurate sinus cavity. Also, the teeth are not very well defined.

I have used one of these Antelope skulls. It turned out awesome, but my skull did not have teeth. Now I see some of the skulls on his site do have teeth. The color was very natural(Not too white, not too yellow) I believe these have the most accurate sinus cavity. I am not sure about the peg system that is included in these skulls. His deer skulls are also Mule deer OR Whitetail. Haven't done any deer since I found these skulls, but my next set of big muley sheds will be going on one.

http://wyomingwildlifeproductions.com/welcome.html

I have used a deer(which is whitetail only) and antelope of the pinchback skulls. The detail is inbetween the other two. My main gripe is that after 5 years both skulls have seriously yellowed. (I replaced the deer with a Mountain Mike and the antelope with a WWP)

http://www.pinchbackreproductions.com/pinchback_reproductions_skulls.html

Regardless of which route you go, taking your time and not trying to get it done in 30 minutes will give you a mount that will fool people at 1st, maybe 2nd glance.

Nothing beats the real thing. I'm sure you have a winter kill or two laying around. Do the ol switch-a-ro. A square pins, a little paint and bondo and it looks great. I've got a mountain mikes but the time spent is the same as putting on them on a real skull.

Thanks dainer. I really like the full skull Wyo. I am bummed they so much for the reproduction. Only money I guess and I probably won't shoot too many more 200"ers.:D

Nothing beats the real thing. I'm sure you have a winter kill or two laying around. Do the ol switch-a-ro. A square pins, a little paint and bondo and it looks great. I've got a mountain mikes but the time spent is the same as putting on them on a real skull.

Good point Ivan. I might go that route instead.

I musta missed the deer on the first go around. Pic?

I like the dead head swaparoo idea. Just look for one along a fence! ;)

Why not one of these?

5277216f.jpg

e5023789.jpg

I was thinking either the same as mtlion's or one of the old style plaques with wood putty.

You can add your rack to an existing skull. Take good measurements for width and index each of the antlers positions at 12-3-6-9 oclock. Get a donor skull and you can either drill a hole to pin both sides together and commence with bondo, or simply just bondo. Then smooth the bondo and paint with some killz white primer.

Thanks dainer. I really like the full skull Wyo. I am bummed they so much for the reproduction. Only money I guess and I probably won't shoot too many more 200"ers.:D
Hey Miller...have a little experience with this kind of repair so here is what i would do...first from reading your posts and admiring your photography skills im sure somewhere along the way you picked up a winter kill laying around somewhere. Use that and not anything else...the others look fake period. Take measurements of the horns and then saw them off at the very top of the pedicle almost like it was a shed. Then go to the Home Depot, Lowes ect and get yourself the smallest threaded rod you can find. This will make the horns more stable when you attach them...do not use pins or wire. Next, drill holes in the pedicles in the skull bigger than the threaded rod. Cut the rod about 4 inches and insert about 2 inches into the skull with any good epoxy. Liquid nails gorilla glue and let set overnight. The next day drill holes in the horns and repeat the process.Set the width.Place a 2x3 or similar piece of wood between the antlers and hold them together with masking tape overnight until the glue sets. Get a McKenzie catalog or go on line and get some epoxy sculpt in white. it is a 2 part epoxy type clay that hardens like a rock. roll out a thin ribbon of it and wrap around the seem of the cut. You can wet your finger and smooth the clay out so you will never see the seem. I know it sounds difficult but it is really easy. Your into it for about $25 bucks. If you need to, get the things you need and send me a PM. You can call me and Ill walk you through it..if you lived closer Id do it for ya.....:cool:

Last edited:
Last edited:
2Rocky, that is sweet looking. I've seen some around here where they dip them and its camo finish, they look cool also.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back