NEW SITKA Ambient 75

ethics question

mixedbag

If you paid for a guided or drop camp hunt with an outfitter, would you consider it unethical to go back to the same area on your own?I ask because theres an article about it in the new Bugle magzine from the RMEF,which I'm a member of.My personal opinion, is that if you paid to hunt an area, and liked it, but didn't care much for the service of the outfitter then why not diy.Even if you did like the outfitter but couldn't afford his services anymore, I see no reason not to hunt there.I'm talking public ground obviously.I'd like to see what others opinions are about this.Is there an unwritten rule that if you hunt with an outfitter that you respect his area, and hunt other places oyo?Do you feel part of the money you paid to the outfitter was to locate good areas to later hunt oyo?

That's a good question & one that most public land outfitters dread to hear. In my opinion it's public land & you can access it just like he can. With that being said i don't think it's the right thing to do if you marked your GPS with his secret spot while you're hunting with him. Some outfitters will ask you to clear your GPS when you're done hunting. I would hunt the same area but i would try & stay away from his honey hole.

Last edited:
If he asked and you agreed you should honor your word. If not, public land is not intellectual property.

What if you were unguided on a drop camp, and not one of his guided hunters.I personally wouldn't want to hunt where a guide is already hunting daily.I can't see a problem hunting the same mountain though.
I'm not sure what they pay for a permit, but can see their point of view

I try to not interfere with any hunters pattern and expect reciprocal courtesy. It''s been my experience that not much reciprocal courtesy is extended on public land...no matter how far away from the road you get. How about this...you're 4-5 miles in public country and an outfitter string catches up w/you...do you turn around?

I try to not interfere with any hunters pattern and expect reciprocal courtesy. It''s been my experience that not much reciprocal courtesy is extended on public land...no matter how far away from the road you get. How about this...you're 4-5 miles in public country and an outfitter string catches up w/you...do you turn around?

I agree. You practice courtesy according to your own conscience, but it is public land.
Would you not fish a certain area in a lake because a guide was there or had taken you there at one time? The fish move around and so do the game animals...

Let me add that, like most here, I give other people plenty of room when I run into them in the field. But if I'm there first on that day, I expect the same. However, public land belongs to everyone. And there is far too little of it for people to lay claim on it because they scouted it first. If you scouted well enough, you have alternatives...

Last edited:
I've never ran into that problem with an outfitter...mainly because I've used one only once and that was a requirement for white sheep in Alaska. I still respect his area though, and to this day I've never told anyone exactly where I shot my ram...other than the Chugach mountains.

The courtesy I extend to ANY areas (public land or not) that friends show me is to never go back uninvited and/or give them a call to make sure its cool that I go back. If I do go back to a friends hunting spot, I typically hunt alone or again, tell them up front, if I plan to invite a friend along. I also always make it clear that I wont be offended in the slightest if they would rather I not hunt somewhere they've shown me...and I wouldnt if asked not to. That was not just a common practice with the people I grew up hunting with, it was expected. You respected each others hunting areas, camps, etc. just flat the way it was.

Not so much anymore. I've had people set up camps within 100 feet of some of our camps, people blab information that I've asked them not to, etc. etc. etc.

I dont mind helping other hunters out, I help them all the time, and I've received some great help from some very generous people...many from this board. But, you want to get any help in the future from me...you better keep your yap shut about the areas I share. Had a guy just this year flap his chops...I wont help him again, ever. Lots of people out there out for #1 and want to be "the man" when it comes to hunting. Even worse is people like that typically waste no opportunity to let people know they're "the man" by sharing your information with anyone who will listen to them.

Another thing I always do if I run into other people who are hunting in my areas is to ask them what their plan is for the day. Lots of them ask why...my reply is that I dont want to be bumping into them all day and ruining their hunt. Its really easy for me to hunt around other hunters if I know where they'll be.

I dont know, common sense would go a long way to answering/solving many of these types of questions.

Last edited:
I woudn't want to hunt in the same area a guide hunts anyway... they probably hunt the piss out of it.

I'm the same as Buzz, if someone takes me somewhere I don't go back unless its with them or they're cool with me going. I have rarely done this, and would rather just go somewhere else I could claim as 'mine'.

As far as a going to an area that you hunted in the past with a guide or a drop hunt... Thats a personal thing you have to make the call. I personally wouldn't go to the exact spot again. Find your own spot and learn something in the process. Think about the next hunters that 'pay' to come hunt and learn the same thing you did. By you going back to that spot you're going to ruin it for them.

There's some grey area about it, but going right back to where a public land outfitter took you hunting sounds like a dick move. Be original, do some homework, and find a place you can call your own. You'll feel better about hunting there.

I agree with what Buzz says.. Too many guys love to take advantage, literally "follow" the leaders, or just spew about hunting areas they've nothing invested in, other than what somebody else told/showed them.

Another thing I always do if I run into other people who are hunting in my areas is to ask them what their plan is for the day. Lots of them ask why...my reply is that I dont want to be bumping into them all day and ruining their hunt. Its really easy for me to hunt around other hunters if I know where they'll be.

This is where you and I differ. If I've a plan to hunt public property, there's very little that will make me feel obligated to change it.

I didnt say I didnt use those other hunters to my advantage....most havent hunted my spots nearly as much as I have.

I didnt say I didnt use those other hunters to my advantage....most havent hunted my spots nearly as much as I have.

I totally agree... like I said before, if you know the area, you have alternatives. And you can pattern hunters as well as game. By all means, use the other hunters to your advantage when you can.
I guess the best policy is to be courteous, realize that everyone has a right to be there, and keep your mouth shut about where you have success...Then try and make the most out of the hand you're dealt...

There's some grey area about it, but going right back to where a public land outfitter took you hunting sounds like a dick move. Be original, do some homework, and find a place you can call your own. You'll feel better about hunting there.

That about sums up how I'd feel about it. You definitely won't make friends doing something like this.
I'd look at it the same way I would a friend taking you out, and would never leach a friend's spot like that.
I've had it happen a couple different times with people hunting and raping the hell out of my or my family's spot that I've showed them, it flat sucks and can ruin otherwise great friendships. Anymore I've got my immediate family, and one or two friends I know I can trust, and won't take anyone else hunting.

The only services I have used is a transporter/outfitter in Alaska, but he chose the spot for me. I might use the general area but I would not hunt within say 3 miles of his camp. maybe 5 or 10, I dunno.
Years ago a buddy and I and his wife were hunting an area new to us. I harvested a small mulie. The area was steep, miserable and he swore he would never go back. Some 3 or 4 years later my dad and I accessed the same area and both harvested 4x4 bucks. I have hunted there most years for the last 20. 5 years ago I ran into my old buddy in town and told him I've had success in the area-He was very put out that I was hunting in our secret spot! He has never been back! He's an a55, no wonder I lost track...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back