Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ethical question, signs of the future

Nunyacreek

So first off, this is in MT, not Arizona, where this is a more settled question, I think...
I found a wallow in a secluded meadow on GOogle Earth. While hiking in on a game trail I was surprised to find a game camera in what I thought was an unlikely spot. 400 yards later I came on an atv trail that was mapped as a snowmobile trail. The trail is several miles from a trailhead on public land and appears to dead end on some inaccessible private close to where i was. I can’t tell if it’s a legal trail, but it probably is.
When I found the wallow it was gorgeous, quite close to the ATV trail but not visible. However, there was a camera on it. I have occasionally used cameras, though I’ve never actually hunted in a spot that I used one. My inclination is to avoid the wallow and consider setting up a couple hundred yards away on a game trail leading to it, if at all. I probably will abandon the spot altogether, but there is no guarantee that the camera owner will hunt it or that my presence walking in will matter anyway. Also, I feel a little more justified because I found the wallow with no help from anyone, and I walked in. This might be snobbishness on my part, I dunno.
I think that this will be more and more common in the future and I wonder what to do about it. If I turned around every time I saw evidence of someone else in the woods I’d run out of spots pretty quickly, but I’d like to respect the person that found it first. I’m sure people have strong opinions, I’d like to hear them. Thanks.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I feel like it is relevant. I learned a valuable lesson from a hunting buddy a couple of years ago. He taught me that when I see somebody else hunting the same area as me, go talk to them. You can see what each others plans are or if you're even hunting the same species. You can coordinate if needed or know for sure if you need to change your plans. I did this last fall on my elk hunt. We camped out at a spot and the next morning some other hunters showed up and hurried to beat us up the trail. We caught up to them and it turned out they had a spike tag and we had a cow tag. We watched a draw together for a little bit and a spike eventually tried to cross the draw and they shot it. It was fun to watch them get that elk. I later had a chance at a cow elk in that same general area. So when the day started we each thought of the other as a potential rival, but at the end of the day we helped each other have a successful hunt.

So I guess in a round about way my answer to your question would be that if there is only one camera there then hunt the area if you want and if you run into that other hunter don't be afraid to talk to them. You can see if they're even hunting the same thing as you, and you can coordinate with them or change your plans if need be. Part of hunting on public land involves seeing other hunters, so we might as well make it a positive experience.

Just the presence of a camera doesn't mean you can't hunt it. Have you thought about leaving your contact information so that you and the camera owner can be in touch so that you each don't cause problems with the other? If there's a person already there I'd move on but if you wanted to hunt a wallow and someone else had a camera but no physical presence, I'd say you're ethically good to go.

I personally would hunt it as I do everywhere else that is public land. For me, that means that if someone is there first then I go to plan B and relocate far away. If no one is there, I hunt the spot however I want. If both parties get there the same time, I would talk to them and work out something that's acceptable to BOTH parties. Good luck this fall!

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. I certainly wouldn’t ever try to compete with anyone already hunting it if they were already there, but it sounds like a camera does not give anyone the expectation of an exclusive spot either. I too have had a lot better experiences talking to hunters when I ran into them rather than trying to avoid them.

Glad to know there are good dudes like yourself out there asking themselves these questions. I agree with above, talk to the guy/girl if you see them come hunting season and work out a plan where it benefits the both of you. If they are at all angry or hostile wish them a good day and move on. Good luck this season. Cheers!

Remember its public land, owned by all.... So I wouldn't just toss out the option of hunting it because you have seen signs of others there. Try to make contact with the owner of the camera, see what he is after and when. Just because he or she has a camera there, it doesn't mean that he or she owns the spot but also have respect for the work they have put in.

I'm all for working with someone, but also keep in mind there are people out there that own dozens, if not hundreds, of game cameras.

Strike a Dinkshooter pose with a perp sign around your neck. ; )....diplomatically of course.

Well in case I show up on your trail camera..I was wearing a lime green long sleeve shirt and red and white plaid shorts and a sombrero. No chit. Pm me if you recognize my outfit.

I agree...contact camera operator if possible prior to the season opener. Perhaps you can achieve this by writing your contact info & intentions on paper then putt in front of camera so he gets a pic of it.

Just because there is a camera there, does not mean that the person will hunt that spot or when they are going to. I put out a couple cameras every year across different areas just see what's on them and traveling by prior to season. I don't hunt all the spots, and some of the places there are plenty of animals on them, but I still have not hunted that area or near the camera, Just like having the options of more back up places. I would hunt that area if you saw good sign while hiking in. I would look at it like this, you scouted google earth, found some prime habitat, hiked in and confirmed it. Great leg work getting it done! Enjoy the fact that the time and effort you put in has paid off! Go Hunt, and as stated, if you see someone say hello.

Not sure how seasons work up there, but it could be for a different hunt, or different species (though if it's a wallow, less likely). I'm sure I'm on several trail cameras around water. I show up, scan the area carefully, knock on the blind door if somebody has one set up there and if there's nobody there, it's mine for the day. Last year I had another party walk into 'my' water hole and we chatted a bit, talked about our strategies and parted amicably. After dark, they gave me a ride back up the mountain to my camp. Doesn't have to be a big deal. I've heard plenty of horror stories about turf wars, but so far, I've had good experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back