Thoughts on no blood trail?

I know this place is generally anti Berger but you take that shot with a Berger and that bull is dead under 20 yards.
Maybe. Maybe not. Without seeing an entrance, exit, and wound channel I am just pulling stuff out my ass.

I hunted with a .338-06 for a lot of years. I used cup and core to include Partition and Speer Hot Cor prior to switching to Barnes.

I’ve seen both deer and elk take a fatal shot and not leave a blood trail, and I’ve seen a marginal shot make for a long tracking job with a follow up needed.

Since the OP didn't open that bull up, all of this conjecture is worthless. mtmuley
But assumptions are fun to make!

OP, if most/all your shots are within 100 yards, get a good slug gun. There's never a lack or blood when the hole is the size of a silver dollar! My dad has a sweet bolt action slug gun that is super accurate out to about 100, never tried taking it further. There's never a shortage of blood on his deer he shoots with it. I'd bet the results would be similarly devistating on an elk. Not sure on the legality of it in any given state though.

I know this place is generally anti Berger but you take that shot with a Berger and that bull is dead under 20 yards.
Has been quite a bit of speculation so far and I appreciate all the different ideas. Never will know for sure I guess. I have to agree with you about the Bergers though I don’t think any bullet is perfect for every situation. The other 2 bulls I talked about the previous 2 years were shot with 338 Rouge with 300gr Bergers.

No broken shoulders or exit wounds. Looks like a dead center chest shot. I’d take that everytime.
View attachment 249315
I was very confident in the shot I took. I aimed dead center where the dark neck hair meets the tan. When I seen the placement of the first shot is what surprised me about the lack of blood and an alive elk. Not sure how long he would have made it, obviously wasn’t doing great if I caught right up to him after bumping from his bed.

But assumptions are fun to make!

OP, if most/all your shots are within 100 yards, get a good slug gun. There's never a lack or blood when the hole is the size of a silver dollar! My dad has a sweet bolt action slug gun that is super accurate out to about 100, never tried taking it further. There's never a shortage of blood on his deer he shoots with it. I'd bet the results would be similarly devistating on an elk. Not sure on the legality of it in any given state though.
I’m certain areas when I know it is all dark timber I will pack a marlin 45-70. But there are places in most the spots I hunt that may present an opportunity at farther more open shots so I like to keep my options open.

The only sure thing is following up, going over and looking for evidence of a hit. The evidence can be tough to find. Tracking can be very difficult. Like building a fire in two feet of snow, it takes practice.
Those who followed up and collected their critter you have my respect.

A ton of new snow and I am ditching work tomorrow. I'll let ya know if the bullet fails. Or if I do. mtmuley
Can't remember, think I was about Bozeman, good luck

Attachments

• F535B38D-F0D9-4DF0-AB74-0E69F4F286F5.jpeg
    F535B38D-F0D9-4DF0-AB74-0E69F4F286F5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Imagine if you had not had snow....

A lot of people loose elk JUST. LIKE. THAT.

Not saying you did anything wrong here. Just saying that sometimes they just done bleed well. Thankfully you replayed the moment and had faith. Some people would have just walked away.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back