Estes Park / RMNP Recommendations?

Speaking of Hallett, Google Hallett Peak rockfall to see what happened there this week. 👀

You can often see bighorn sheep at.....Sheep Lakes, and also near the Tundra Communities trailhead.
I did hear of that. On the back side of the famous wall.

I think the profile of Hallets is the iconic picture of RMNP. The Diamond Face on Longs isn't easily viewable from the road, yet the Diamond is much more committing and technical.

As they say, climb it before it falls down.

You definitely want to take the old fall river road up to the alpine center. It is a one way road so you must take it when you enter the park. Make sure you take some good bino's or spotting scope. When you arrive at the alpine center you will have a short walk up to the lookout point. There were about 60 elk near the alpine center you could see with the naked eye. I had a pair of 10x50 luepold binos and was able to spot probably 5 different elk herds around the area totaling in the hundreds While the rest of the family was in the gift shop I used that time to practice glassing.

you should also check out the riverwalk. There are plenty of shops in the old downtown area.

We actually had a great time on a jeep tour. The tour company is wildside 4x4 tours and we did the tour in the national forest that led to a fire lookout tower. We did all 4 national parks and the national monument in grand junction and the 4x4 tour was my daughters favorite thing we did.

Below are some pics of some bulls near the alpine center.

20210707_094329.jpg20210707_094408.jpg
20210707_094945.jpg20210707_105243.jpg
IMG_9023.jpgIMG_9027.jpg

Any goats hang out there? Asking for a friend of course.

Moraine Park, there’s a herd of about 300 resident elk. Off Bear Lake Rd

There’s a “ Coffee on the Rocks” coffee shop before you get in the park that’s awesome and kid friendly.

Attachments

• 0B47F4AF-B8D1-4A82-B289-5949B160AC0B.jpeg
    0B47F4AF-B8D1-4A82-B289-5949B160AC0B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Be careful getting to close to any wildlife. Elk will definitely charge and hurt you. I live just a short distance away from the park.
Thanks, yes we will maintain respectful distance, especially with the kids along. Don't want to be making the news while we're up there! 😅

Thanks to all for your suggestions, really good stuff here, making my list already!

This is a cool place to stop on your way into Estes Park via Lyons

I would suggest going to the alpine visitor center up at the top. It's a very cool view. Also from the bear lake trail head hike to alberta falls. It's a short maybe 1 mile trek. I enjoyed doing the tour of the stanley hotel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back