Caribou Gear Tarp

Estes Park / RMNP Recommendations?

crock239

Just reserved a cabin at YMCA in Estes Park for first week in August (that online cabin reservation process is not unlike buying a CO reissue tag, btw...gotta be quick on the keyboard :oops: )

Will be a family vacation so if anyone has family friendly tips for hikes, fishing etc (kids are 6 and 8) in or around Rocky Mountain National Park I'd love to hear them.

Will be the first time my kids have been to the mountains--looking forward to it.

Last edited:
We were there last summer.

The drive over to grand lake is a good day trip.

The original dirt road up to the alpine visitor center is beautiful also.

All of the trails are amazing!!

I'll also say that if you look hard, you can find trails and forest roads that don't get much traffic. Still some but nothing like the popular ones in NMNP that will have 50 cars at the trailhead. It will be 2 or 3

Just reserved a cabin at YMCA in Estes Park for first week in August (that online cabin reservation process is not unlike buying a CO reissue tag, btw...gotta be quick on the keyboard :oops: )

Will be a family vacation so if anyone has family friendly tips for hikes, fishing etc (kids are 6 and 8) in or around Rocky Mountain National Park I'd love to hear them.

Will be the first time my kids have been to the mountains--looking forward to it.
Gorgeous area, we were there last summer. Have you navigated the RMNP site's timed entry info?

Gorgeous area, we were there last summer. Have you navigated the RMNP site's timed entry info?
I just started looking into it, thanks for te heads up. Looks like I need to be ready to rock the keyboard again on July 1. Hard to believe I've got to navigate another limited entry draw, this time for the National Park!

I'll also say that if you look hard, you can find trails and forest roads that don't get much traffic. Still some but nothing like the popular ones in NMNP that will have 50 cars at the trailhead. It will be 2 or 3
Yeah I'd definitely like to find a chance to escape crowds for a bit, if possible, but not gonna stress too much. If that means a side trip to a lesser spot or off hrs real early or late in the day.

My theory when it comes to fishing (or hunting, hiking etc) is "you can either GO fishing, OR, you can take the kids fishing."

For the most part this trip will be all about introducing my kids to the mountains and outdoor activities there that hopefully they get hooked on for future trips.

That said, part of this trip is a family reunion on my wife's side so I figure I probably get a kitchen pass for at least a half-day for some more serious hiking or fishing.

Driving off the back side of the National Park was beautiful. Seeing all the devastation from the Cameron Peak fire was gut wrenching but interesting to see.

We rented a jeep from this place and explored forest service roads all day.

Top notch outfit:

Backbone Adventures (970) 235-5045 https://goo.gl/maps/rsMrYjurE7xsc9bd9

This wasn’t worth the money:

Estes Park Aerial Tramway Top Terminal (970) 475-4094 https://goo.gl/maps/JmwSCsJ6NxUkdfoZ9

And this place had the best pizza I’ve ever had:

Antonio's Real New York Pizza (970) 586-7275 https://goo.gl/maps/9e7FdDxRR285EQ7dA

I’ll keep posting as I think of things also. It’s an amazing area with a lot to see and do.

A good workaround for the timed entry system is..

for the Bear Lake Area, pass the gate before 5AM. Bear Lake has some of the best short hikes appropriate for kids. Bear lake itself is at the parking lot and offers intimate views of the north face of Hallets, a large alpine wall of 1,000ft. The trail to Sky Pond has nice creeks a quarter mile up the trail I often see people with kids playing etc.

For the rest of the Park get there before 9AM, or after 3PM. For both places I'd assume you still need a parks pass.

In August I've only seen elk up above treeline on Trail Ridge Road. Trail Ridge is the main road cutting through the park up and over the divide. A good book on the historic road is National Park Roads which goes into details on the efforts made to build the road such that there aren't ugly road cuts, and the landscape was disturbed as little as possible. Early on the idea was to have all National Parks have roads so people can get to enjoy the places. The short crenulated road barriers along the sides have been left in place in lieu of the modern metal railings. People drive slowly anyway.

Fall River Road is a good alternative to Trail Ridge, it's gravel but easily driveable in any 2wd vehicle. Fall River joins Trail Ridge up high before the divide. All along Trail Ridge there are many places to pull off to enjoy the view etc, more pull offs than people so it's always possible to find a place. If a crowd stops for no discernable reason there are elk or goats somewhere. I've never been up there, and not seen elk.

Crazy, but worth it...
Man do I miss the good ol days of driving up and able to buy a pass.

It’s a beautiful area up there, when I moved to CO 12 years ago I was up in Loveland so I spent a lot of time up in RMNP. Be sure to swing by Sprague Lake, good chance of seeing some moose around those parts.

Man do I miss the good ol days of driving up and able to buy a pass.

It’s a beautiful area up there, when I moved to CO 12 years ago I was up in Loveland so I spent a lot of time up in RMNP. Be sure to swing by Sprague Lake, good chance of seeing some moose around those parts.
It's stunning from a motorcycle seat.

Climb Hallett Peak! 😉 https://www.facebook.com/groups/82338447841/permalink/10159037796377842/

There's tons of great hikes, and lots of lakes and creeks to fish, but my #1 recommendation is to drive Trail Ridge Road and get out for one of the short hikes near the continental divide. With kids, its unlikely you will get to really high altitude, so the road is a great shortcut to experiencing the alpine tundra and life above treeline. Download a plant ID app and try to identify different alpine wildflowers. There is some incredible stuff on a small scale to be explored and learned up there.

Arctic Alpine Forget-Me-Not, blooming last week at 11,500 ft.

20220617_170714.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back