Episode #2 is on deck!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Episode #1 is behind us. The emails were many, and very complimentary. Some really great comments were provided.

Episode #2 is a New Mexico archery elk episode. It was a very challenging hunt. If you think about the difficulty of setting up on elk with a bow, think of how much added challenge is created when you have to do your set ups in areas that provide more filming lanes. In other words, much more open than you would otherwise set up in.

Then add the extra noise, scent, and movement of two camera guys and their equipment. It makes for a lot more challenge than I ever considered. But, it can be done. Very hard to do, but can be done.

When you see how this hunt ends, I think you will see why it is one of the most rewarding hunts of my life.

We came home with 25 hours of tape to tell a 22 minute TV story. Lots got cut from the final edits. We had footage of some really big bulls, but it was in the thick stuff, so the quality of the footage was not as good as the bulls we filmed in the more open country. I don't think guys want to see footage where we have to highlight a circle of a bull's antlers in the oak brush, just so you know what is in the frame. Maybe I am wrong.

Anyhow, this episode has action from start to finish, so I don't think it needs a lot of explanation.

Thanks for watching, and if you have friends you think would like it, send them a reminder. Times are:

Friday July 10th at 11:30 am and 10:00 pm
Sunday July 12th at 3:00 pm
(all times Mountain time)

If you want to see a preview of this episode, click on the "Video Page" tab above.

Some of you have already read about this hunt in the Hunt Talk elk threads, but for those of you who haven't, here is the link.

Click here - 2008 New Mexico Elk.

Can't wait BF. I just watched episode one thanks to DVR and really liked it. I also helped out a sponsor today when I bought the new rangefinder from Leupold :D

I need a range finder also.How much of a discount do hunt talkers get?My son has an RX-2 and he really likes it.

I'm looking forward to it. What part of New Mexico? I've hunted 16-E, 15 and another unit that I don't recall right now. I've gotten two bulls there, both on public land. I looked at the game unit map, and my second bull was from unit 13.

Last edited:
Well guys, it is Friday, again. Wow, time flies.

We have actually air three times today, and one on Sunday. Outdoor Channel awarded us a bonus slot for today. Hope you can tune in. I look forward to your feedback. The airtimes are:

Friday July 10th - 11:30 am, 10:00 pm, and midnight
Sunday July 12th - 3:00 pm
(all times Mountain time)

If you have friends or family who would enjoy watching it, I hope you tell them about it. We are trying to make as much impact as possible. After the results of last week, our progress is above what I expected.

Thanks for all your comments and support. Let us know what you think, and if you like it, please tell Outdoor Channel. They emailed me to let me know that our show had a ton of email comments last week, something they put great emphasis on.

Here is the link - Outdoor Channel Feedback

Big Fin - I don't get the Outdoor channel to see the shows and can only watch the teasers so much. Any chance in the comming years you will post the pervious years shows on the site to watch, similar to the Primos guys?

You will be able to watch them on our site, starting in December. That is the soonest Outdoor Channel will let us stream them here.

A lot of people have been going to sports bars and asking the to change one of the TVs to the Outdoor Channel, and most places will do that, especially on a Friday lunch time, or a Sunday afternoon (at least until football starts).

Big Fin - I don't get the Outdoor channel to see the shows and can only watch the teasers so much. Any chance in the comming years you will post the pervious years shows on the site to watch, similar to the Primos guys?

I just caught the show over lunch. Great job. Super footage of the elk and scenery! Congrats on your first animal with a bow.

new mexico elk episode 2

Just watched the episode earlier today. I loved it. It is true life. Anyone who has ever hunted on their own would know that. The only difference is all of the elk that you seen. That only happens in New Mexico public land. My hubby and I have had the privilege of being drawn for NM. 3 years in a row for first season archery. Twice for unit 6a. We know where to go this Sept. We left a screamin bull last season. Maybe he's still there? We've had a blast. I respect your show alot more than I do the show "Wild and Raw". Very disappointing for me. I'd like to see those two hosts in real hunting situations.

Looked really good. Loved the country you were hunting, nice rolling hills like that look like heaven next to the crap I normally hunt. Can't wait for some Montana episodes!

Just saw it Randy. Very well done, great camerawork, nice elk with your bow and an excellent portrayal of the OYOA message. Now I'm ready for #3!

Randy,

Caught both shows. Just a quick note to let you know how appreciative I am of your show and the work you are doing. You are doing an excellent job of showing the emotion of the hunt both high and low. I'm not even into big game hunting all that much and still enjoy your show very much. OYOA has managed to capture the true sense of the hunt and to show that it isn't always easy where an animal is behind every tree and bush. The personal ethics that you showed when hunting with Uncle Larry in episode #1 were outstanding. I wonder how many other hunters (on or off camera) would have had the self control to not shoot that elk that 10' on the wrong side of the fence. Again, keep up the work, I wish you continued success with the show. I hope it continues to be enjoyable for you and doesn't spoil the fun of the hunt.

~AO

Just got through watching the Program. Very well put together and since Bill Jordan doesn't respond like BF, it was neat to see how Goofy he looked in person. LOL Just kidding, I really can't wait to see the next one! Great start of a dynasty. John

Randy, I just watched show 2. I like the way you get the shakes and how you have to fight thru the adrenaline. I thought your cameramen did a great job of capturing the true emotions you were fighting thru.
I had a similar hit on a bull two years ago, I didn't sleep all night. It was a whole bunch of highs and lows. When I found him the next morning and knew he was dead, it was a mix of elation and sadness for what I had put him thru.
I thought the production quality was very good, very nice show. I hope it is huge success for you.
When you draw an AZ coues tag, look me up I would love to tag along on that hunt, Take Care, JLG.

I enjoy the little things included...the details like water & camp set-up. I can relate to thses types of productions better than the countless frames of huge TC decals or close-ups of bow cams or bino brands.

Could also appreciate the cow call lecture.

Randy, on the show you mention an artery hit, was this between the heart and brisket or further back?

Randy, on the show you mention an artery hit, was this between the heart and brisket or further back?

Further back, unfortunately. And, the arrow stayed in him, like a cork in a bottle, making the blood trail get weaker, the further he traveled.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back