Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk size pictures

If it is an outfitted hunt, just tell them what you want. They will tie to a tree for you to stalk up on and shoot. Otherwise, if the opportunity comes, shoot the first legal bull that crosses your path. Waiting for the "big one" might end with y'all eating Tag Soup vice backstraps and tenderloins.

Like others have said, if you haven't killed one yet, make sure he's legal and kill him. It would take quite a tag for me to get picky. Having elk in the freezer is awesome.

Nets are for fishermen my friend. If you truly cared about what went in the record book then more power to you
Real numbers are real numbers. I'd venture to bet that 90% of the people that are fortunate to get an animal that actually qualifies, have the animal measured. And some of the few that don't the paperwork in, are often just butt-hurt that the real numbers aren't the same as they advertised. Just what I've seen over the years.

Some of my most favorites animals/hunts, don't measure for shit.

But to the point of this thread, he wants to see what right around 300 inches is.

Real numbers are real numbers. I'd venture to bet that 90% of the people that are fortunate to get an animal that actually qualifies, have the animal measured. And some of the few that don't the paperwork in, are often just butt-hurt that the real numbers aren't the same as they advertised. Just what I've seen over the years.

But to the point of this thread, he wants to see what right around 300 inches is.
He never specified 300 net or gross. What were the gross scores of the two bulls you posted up?

@king13 how much time can you take offs during the season? What’s your gas budget?

I agree with all this. I would bet money that the vast majority of hunters likely quote gross score, so when he asks about what a “300 inch bull” looks like, I assume he is asking for 300 gross.

Not all of us are as good at elk hunting as you 😁 can’t afford to shave those pesky net points off my scores man!

^ to clarify, my most important hunting memory was killing my first Roosevelt bull after pounding thick WA rainforests for 8 years and seeing nothing. That thing probably nets about 110” and I have never been more emotional walking up to an animal I have harvested, likely never will

He never specified 300 net or gross. What were the gross scores of the two bulls you posted up?
i'd have to dig the score sheet out (i looked on FWP site to get the net), but I think they were low 330s for mine and high 280s for my son's. Sent the score sheets in and both of the bulls were picked for cover photos for the P&Y magazine. The one of mine in the pic was paired up with a 380 gross 371 net bull when I shot it. I didn't have a shot at the bigger one that day, but was along with a good friend later that November when he rifled it. I had 2 antlers from that bigger one, made a hanging chandelier for a wedding gift for him with them. Back in the day when the elk hunting was really really good.

i'd have to dig the score sheet out (i looked on FWP site to get the net), but I think they were low 330s for mine and high 280s for my son's. Sent the score sheets in and both of the bulls were picked for cover photos for the P&Y magazine. The one of mine in the pic was paired up with a 380 gross 371 net bull when I shot it. I didn't have a shot at the bigger one that day, but was along with a good friend later that November when he rifled it. I had 2 antlers from that bigger one, made a hanging chandelier for a wedding gift for him with them. Back in the day when the elk hunting was really really good.
Your son will likely be saying the same thing about his bull when he's your age.

This is going to be my fifth season hunting out west, and I’m done being picky lol. Drew a unit 500 either sex tag in CO this year and I’m borrowing a famous Amish saying from around here…”if it’s brown it’s down”. They only thing I’m thinking is ”Don’t shoot a moose!” Lol.

Back