Elk Photos

I think I must have bought my tape the same place as crittergitter...it doesnt stretch at all!

Taxidermynut,

After looking at the pictures of your monster UT bull again I can't figure out why you don't have a smile from ear to ear. What's up with that?

I'm pretty sure I've seen that bull that mhungerford posted pictures of, and numbers were being thrown around when I saw it.

If it is the bull I'm thinking of, I was highly suspect of the score as well at the time, but didnt say anything. I will say those are not very good pictures of it, but I didnt, and still dont see how that bull gets to where its claimed to go.

If its the bull I'm thinking of I had my bull at the same location and I saw them side-by-side and thats why I dont/didnt see where it scores as high as is claimed. Dont get me wrong, it is a great bull for sure and I'd be happy to kill it.

Mine officially scored 370 0/8 gross and 358 5/8 net.

558.JPG

553.JPG

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've seen that bull that mhungerford posted pictures of, and numbers were being thrown around when I saw it.

If it is the bull I'm thinking of, I was highly suspect of the score as well at the time, but didnt say anything. I will say those are not very good pictures of it, but I didnt, and still dont see how that bull gets to where its claimed to go.

If its the bull I'm thinking of I had my bull at the same location and I saw them side-by-side and thats why I dont/didnt see where it scores as high as is claimed. Dont get me wrong, it is a great bull for sure and I'd be happy to kill it.

Okay Buzz i was there when those two bulls were side by side and the one my buddy shot was a touch bigger,"you still mad that you lost the biggest bull contest at the bow shop that year" oh yea and it was to the bull that i posted!!!!!!!! the guy that scored that bull has been hunting elk for 30 years and over the last 8 years has not killed a bull smaller then 350", so i think he knows what the hell he is talking about. so dont get on my case about a bull you have never seen. the main beams were 57 and 57 1/2" had a spread of 48" his ones were well over 23+ inches and his 2's were 20+ as well 3s were 19 1/2" and 19". as for the rest of you guys that have been giving me a hard time dont be mad that not one of the elk you showed everyone here is half as big as the one my friend killed its okay you will reach that level someday. have a great weekend and good hunting to all!!!!!!!!!!:D:mad:

Great bulls gentlemen. Here is a representative from Alberta that probably has some of them Sweet Montana genetics!Howdy from Canada.:D
alex_s_09_elk_007.jpg

Okay Buzz i was there when those two bulls were side by side and the one my buddy shot was a touch bigger,"you still mad that you lost the biggest bull contest at the bow shop that year" oh yea and it was to the bull that i posted!!!!!!!! the guy that scored that bull has been hunting elk for 30 years and over the last 8 years has not killed a bull smaller then 350", so i think he knows what the hell he is talking about. so dont get on my case about a bull you have never seen. the main beams were 57 and 57 1/2" had a spread of 48" his ones were well over 23+ inches and his 2's were 20+ as well 3s were 19 1/2" and 19". as for the rest of you guys that have been giving me a hard time dont be mad that not one of the elk you showed everyone here is half as big as the one my friend killed its okay you will reach that level someday. have a great weekend and good hunting to all!!!!!!!!!!:D:mad:

You realize, that if you give him 55" of mass and 15" for what 5th's and bumps there are...you described a bull in the neighborhood of 403 gross?

nhungerford,

If I'm not mistaken, the "official" scorer was the shooters Dad, who also isnt a P&Y or B&C scorer???

No?

For the record, my bulls main beams are 56 3/8 on the short side and 57 5/8 on the long side. The 4ths are over 19 and the short 5th is 17 1/8, the long one is 20 1/8. Mass measurements are as follows: 9 6/8, 7 4/8, 7 3/8, and 7...which is decent.

As to the "contest"...I dont see how I could possibly give a shit less about a dozen arrows...certainly not worth getting all sore about...and certainly not worth cheating over. I think theres a few guys on the site here that can judge elk...and obviously some that cant. I'm not much of an elk hunter myself even though I've killed my share. I'm not real good at field judging them either, but I can usually look at two bulls side by side and tell which should score better.

Also, a fair question...how do you get "23+ on the ones"??? Looking at the photo...I'd say they're shorter than the "twos"...could be just the camera angle I suppose:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Buschy,
I thought the same thing after looking at most of my pics when I got them on the computer. All I can tell you is that it was my 16th straight day on the mountain. As soon as I got to him I was total drained. My four year old daughter could have kicked my ass at that moment. It took me about an hour to get feeling normal again.

Rosco,
Yes that is Rick from Bears Ears. He lives here in town. He wanted to video my hunt to put on his videos. He spent the week before the hunt scouting and videoing with me. The footage came out great, but last I knew the Bears Ears guys were kind of having a falling out and it has never made it to stores. I got it all on a great video though for having him along. Really good guy.

A Mormon crack with only my dad and brother along. Didn't know that only happened in Utah?

Mhungerford,
Any time you put a score out there you are asking to have someone question it. I have had the opportunity to measure 50+ elk heads the last 2 years. If those 1st tines don't look longer than their head they aren't over 18" long. The 1st's on that bull don't look much longer than my bulls, maybe the pics are that deceiving. Here are my bull’s measurements. You can compare and see why people seem to be questioning your score.

Attachments

• elk score.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 101
Here are some more pics that I thought you guys might like. The pics through the spotter are of my bull about the end of July. The pics of the other bull are the next year. He was summering with my bull the year before (last pic), but I could never find him during the hunt.

Attachments

• snake 5.JPG
    snake 5.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 715
  • snake 3.JPG
    snake 3.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 685
  • DSCF1471.jpg
    DSCF1471.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 706
  • DSCF1470.jpg
    DSCF1470.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 733
  • DSCF1467.jpg
    DSCF1467.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 699
  • P8180057.jpg
    P8180057.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 712
  • P9020057.jpg
    P9020057.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 707
  • snake-booker.jpg
    snake-booker.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 696
I was taught that on a mature bull the measurement from the bases to the nose was around 17". I've found that to be pretty close in judging the fronts. If they go out close to the nose and then up you've got some good G-1's.

Hungerford just let it go. It's a nice elk and I appreciate the pict. Very rarely to guys go posting scores around here. Keeps us guessing I guess. There are plenty on here that have shot as big if not bigger but don't need to go posting gobs of picts. just for chest thumping.

I hate to see you get all offended over something silly.

Lawnboy,

My guess is a cliff dwelling, I've found a few of those myself.

Taxidermynut, nice photos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back