Caribou Gear

Elk Permit Refund?

drthornton

Can anyone give me a quick list of states that allow you to give up a drawn Elk tag for a refund if you can't go? Also if you can keep your pref points if you do so.

My limited search turned up Utah and Wyoming.

Thanks

Colorado you can only get a refund if you have a medical issue that causes you not to be able to go. Once you draw a tag you've lost your points here.

That's my understanding of how it works...I might be wrong

not true for Colorado, John.

You can return any tag for any reason and:
A) get a refund but lose your points, or
B) refuse a refund and have your points reinstated to what they were BEFORE the draw. No point earned for current year.

There is a basic form you can fill out explaining the situation but a simple note saying "can't go and do not want a refund" gets it done.

Wyoming's refund policy is pretty strict.

Colorado and Utah are the only two states with unconditional return policies, that I am aware of.

Sorry....lol

I was partially right....to get a refund AFTER a season starts, it has to be a medical reason...I just went and read it

Last edited:
I am planning my 2011 Archery Elk hunt already and have a CO limited draw unit that should be an easy 2nd choice draw.(won't burn points). I am also entering the WY, NM, AZ and UT draws and I guess you could call the CO hunt my "backup hunt" even though the long odds in the other states really aren't conducive to calling it that.

So Colorado has a refund policy which basically says you either get you money or points....but what if I drew the tag as a second choice, thus not utilizing points? It seems logical that I could recieve a monetary refund and not burn points but I want to make sure. Thought I would run this past you guys first.

Thanks

Nevada lets you from what I understand, but you lose your preference points. The reason I know this is a friend did just that 2 years ago and that's what he told me.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back