Elk Massacre near Hwy.89 between Rawling and White Sulpher Springs

Ryan is a legitimate source. I know him and he is a Missoula County Deputy. He works the area where I live. Also on the face book post I saw yesterday is a comment from Scott Van Dyken where he verified the info through Mt FW&P. Scott is a Captain with the Cascade County Sheriffs Office whom I've known for many years.
If anybody can give any info to Mt. FW&P please do so. This sounds like a sickening act by unethical as//oles.
Dan

Ryan is a legitimate source. I know him and he is a Missoula County Deputy. He works the area where I live. Also on the face book post I saw yesterday is a comment from Scott Van Dyken where he verified the info through Mt FW&P. Scott is a Captain with the Cascade County Sheriffs Office whom I've known for many years.
If anybody can give any info to Mt. FW&P please do so. This sounds like a sickening act by unethical as//oles.
Dan
I’m certainly not disputing it happened. This is exactly what I was referencing https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/when-hunting-became-shooting.255307/post-3089238

I am suspect of numbers posted on FB and “confirmed” by so and so. The tallies listed seem quite high, but certainly possible.

It happens all too often, and no one ever seems to know how all the elk ended up crippled or dead.

Also, just to be crystal clear, my comment about bow hunters was in no way a joke. It was purposefully directed sarcasm, intended to drive home a point and expose some naïveté and ignorance displayed in the thread about shooting.
Crystal. Got it. mtmuley

Not surprising, Montana treats elk like varmints so what else would you expect. This happens pretty much every year out in the WSS /Ringling Area. Ton of elk that are inaccessible to the public but highly visible from the highway. Bunch of dudes flock shooting from the highway. I remember elk laying dead on 89 one year, calves hung up in the fence bawling. Every year I got a call from the warden/bio to put down wounded elk that had ended up on the ranch from these shoot outs. Mercy killing spikes with their jaws shot-off, calves shot in the hindquarters, front legs shot off...ugly stuff.

Elk make people lose their minds

Since the Catlin ranch is a BMA everyone that was there hunting would have to have signed up or signed in, it shouldn't be too hard to track down those responsible. If the numbers mentioned are true, that's a lot of people doing a lot of shooting, it might be hard to find anyone innocent who was there.

I googled elk killing and shooting and nothing came up. I called a friend that lives in White Sulphur and he said someone else had asked him about it. It happened on a block management area but it was unclear about how many elk were wounded or left in the field.

He also told me he understood that there were 38-40 shot and some tickets were issued, but it didn’t sound like 40 elk were left on the field. Elk can make people act awful stupid. The person that will do that kind of thing only needs an excuse to do it. Those that won’t, wouldn’t even be in the area, other than passing by and observing the carnage.

I am interested in finding out the total story, you can see how distorted this has become here and yet no one knows any facts.

This is the natural overkill response in teaching our young how to hunt and kill big game.
I may be naive and miss the sarcasm, but I don’t get this comment at all. Are you suggesting that we should not be teaching youth to hunt big game? And that this is the reason for some stupid poachers, who we don’t know anything about yet, shooting up a herd of elk?

Since the Catlin ranch is a BMA everyone that was there hunting would have to have signed up or signed in, it shouldn't be too hard to track down those responsible. If the numbers mentioned are true, that's a lot of people doing a lot of shooting, it might be hard to find anyone innocent who was there.
not really as soon as one person stops on that hiway, every truck stops and people with guns start running every direction,,, personal experience last few years. i hunt there alot,,, i was out there in the weather until 3pm sat before i got back to the truck, never heard a war,,,, but i wouldnt doubt it,,,

I keep coming back to the same question these days, "How can hunters police their ranks?" I think at this point it's hard to argue we don't need it. We're going to be losing a lot of privileges and land access if we don't start to clean up this type of crap. A lot of hunters on social media have gone into attention mongering mode and slipped into the deep end of the cesspool. Especially now, in the internet age, a little bad publicity outweighs a lot of good publicity in the eyes of non hunters.

Back