Elk Massacre near Hwy.89 between Rawling and White Sulpher Springs

What laws and regulations would you change? There is a difference between ugly and illegal. This is also proof it’s difficult to disproportionately push the harvest aspect of hunting (cough EMP) while forgetting about the hunting aspect of hunting.
And I agree completely, but you won't ever change human nature. In this case somehow limiting the number of hunters allowed on the HMA would have possibly helped? Idk, im not familiar with the area.

That kind of "hunting" is not my cup of tea and I want no part of it. But I have to leave it up to FWP and the justice system to decide who broke what laws and who will get punished for it. Having worked on matters that get media coverage before, I've learned enough to know they never tell it exactly as it went down. I'll try not to draw too many conclusions.

Having said that, to the extent I find the reports of these actions distasteful, I won't let them dissuade me from hunting any more than I'd let the eating habits of the morbidly obese stop me from enjoying meals or the actions of outlaw motorcycle gangs ruin my enjoyment of motorcycles. I will enjoy my hobbies ethically and lawfully and try to distance myself from those who don't.

That kind of "hunting" is not my cup of tea and I want no part of it. But I have to leave it up to FWP and the justice system to decide who broke what laws and who will get punished for it. Having worked on matters that get media coverage before, I've learned enough to know they never tell it exactly as it went down. I'll try not to draw too many conclusions.

Having said that, to the extent I find the reports of these actions distasteful, I won't let them dissuade me from hunting any more than I'd let the eating habits of the morbidly obese stop me from enjoying meals or the actions of outlaw motorcycle gangs ruin my enjoyment of motorcycles. I will enjoy my hobbies ethically and lawfully and try to distance myself from those who don't.
BINGO! Well said.

It is funny how much this story spread and comments made with no facts to base them on. The title isn’t even right; “Rawling” where is that? One post was made with the department news link and yet no one takes the time to read it.

From the article:

Lemon told MTN, online rumors that surfaced shortly after, claiming 30 to 40 elk that were shot went to waste is not true. Lemon said only one elk went unclaimed, and two were confiscated due to hunting violations. All three of those elk went to a food bank.

Six hunters were cited for violations during the incident. The violations ranged from shooting from the road, failure to properly validate a license, and using a license from another district.

Ethics and safety were not considered much, but the social media coverage and what really happened are quite different. It is always better to know what you are talking about before you make so many conclusions...

It is always better to know what you are talking about before you make so many conclusions...
Many a potential tar and feathering has been ruined by cooler heads examining the situation before proceeding with the fun. Don't be a killjoy. The crowd has demanded blood. *

Having said this, I want no parts of anything like it sound like went down on that BMA.
My son had a bull get away from him on Monday that was slipping through the trees as he tried to get set up for a shot. I watched him struggling and told him not to shoot as the bull crested the ridge. Walking out as darkness fell, we all agreed we were glad we weren't walking up that ridge to try and figure out if he hit him or not. It was his first opportunity to try and shoot a bull. No shots were fired, no regrets.

FWP was probably pretty excited. Get to collect some extra cash plus those pesky elk we pound on for 6 months got pounded on a little harder

Sure it wasn’t bow hunters who did it?
Actually pretty sure reports indicated crossbows were a big part of the problem. #soeasyitsscary

I'm just glad people in Wyoming don't do stuff like this. (I'm kidding just to be clear)

Would have made a great episode of Wardens.

The town would be Ringling, not Rawlings.
😉

I know. The closest town would actually be that spot in the road called Lennep. Your last spot before you hit the crawling metropolis of Martinsdale. I kind of like that place. The mansion. The bar. Too bad everything else is closed. Not sure the B&B is still open.

The thread title says Rawling. I was in effect making fun of the title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back