Caribou Gear

Elk loads 6.5 creedmoor

sbrville

I drank the kool aid and got a 6.5 creedmoor for hunting. Loading 120gr ELD Match hornady bullets with Hodgens H4350 for whitetail. worked great. Was thinking of using this rifle to try Elk hunt. What loads are you guys using? Looks like 140gr eld-M shoot pretty good? Thanks SB

I’ve killed three bulls and a couple cows with the 139 scenar. I killed a couple of cows with the 147 ELD-M last year as well. I favor the 139 by a little, it’s a bit tougher IME.

LOL yeah for some reason I like a smaller cal that shoots a little flatter but I do see the advantages to some more knockdown power. Only thing i have bigger is a 30-06 remington pump. But not opposed to another gun for the collection.

I too hold the opinion that the 6.5 CM is on the small side for elk, but if you must, the 140gn Accubond is a good choice. I also tend to plug for Federal TBT's when I get the chance. I like that bullet. But as far as the Creed goes how fast can you really push a 140gn bullet? I ask because I really don't know, but wouldn't think very fast, 2650fps or so? Maybe 2700?

I too hold the opinion that the 6.5 CM is on the small side for elk, but if you must, the 140gn Accubond is a good choice. I also tend to plug for Federal TBT's when I get the chance. I like that bullet. But as far as the Creed goes how fast can you really push a 140gn bullet? I ask because I really don't know, but wouldn't think very fast, 2650fps or so? Maybe 2700?

Mine ran at 2730 with H4350 and I wasn’t impressed with it at all. It did kill 4 elk but none of them in what I would consider clean. If you are hand loading and have access to RL26 you can get the 140 over 2900. If you had to use it that is the route I would go.

I do not have a 6.5 Creedmoor but if I did and had a notion to use it on elk, I would use something along the lines of a partition or accubond and shoot a lot from field positions and avoid big bones.

I always used my 7 mags for elk, but I would not feel under-gunned with the Creed. There have been LOTS of elk and other critters killed with it. If I was going to hunt elk with one, I would lean toward a little more durable bullet. I really like the 147 ELDM, but I would not personally use it on elk-although some have. I would go with a Partition, Accubomb, or one of the coppers. I think that I would be looking at the 127 LRX, pushed as fast as your rifle will tolerate. Another one that is tough and mostly overlooked, is the 140 Interlock. That bullet will also kill just fine.

I have killed a lot of deer and some antelope with the Creed and .260, both. 6.5 bullets just plain work well. My personal favorites, are the 129 Interlock and the 147 ELDM, but I would probably not use either one for elk. I am currently experimenting with some Speer Gold Dot, 140 bonded bullets that would probably work real well on elk, too.

Lots of good choices out there. Just pick one that will hold together and shoot accurately in your rifle.

Hammer time...get some RL26 (it's starting to appear in some stores now) if you can or StaBall 6.5. I'll be testing Staball this spring and have 8lbs on the way

You need to be in the 140g or higher bracket to get the most out of RL26. The Hammers that are available for a factory 1-8 twist are too small and you will run out of case capacity before you hit speeds you would hit with H4350 or Varget. Steve uses and recommend the 124g and Varget in the Creedmoor when I talked with him. I have some 124 HH coming to load for the 260ai my Creedmoor is turning into.

So would the 130 accubond also be too lite to pair it up with rl-26?

Yes and no, some guys seem to be getting it done with RL26 others not. I couldn’t with my barrel but with the 140 it shined. I think the 130 class of bullets is borderline and it comes down to the individual barrel.

You need to be in the 140g or higher bracket to get the most out of RL26. The Hammers that are available for a factory 1-8 twist are too small and you will run out of case capacity before you hit speeds you would hit with H4350 or Varget. Steve uses and recommend the 124g and Varget in the Creedmoor when I talked with him. I have some 124 HH coming to load for the 260ai my Creedmoor is turning into.
good call. H4350 seems to answer a lot of questions. RL16 would be a similar powder that I've not tried in 6.5

Yes and no, some guys seem to be getting it done with RL26 others not. I couldn’t with my barrel but with the 140 it shined. I think the 130 class of bullets is borderline and it comes down to the individual barrel.

where did you get your data for the 130, I cannot seem to find any.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back