Elk loads 6.5 creedmoor

where did you get your data for the 130, I cannot seem to find any.

I made up some conservative loads and worked my way up, I ran out of case capacity before I broke 2850. The 140g easily broke that so I quit messing with it.

I also tried Mag primers verses large rifle, I saw no real difference in the Creed and RL26.

I'm certainly not in the camp of magnums-only-for-elk, but there sure are better options out there. Obviously it can be done, but elk are big. I remember being surprised by how big the first time I stood next to one. Dumping a lot of kinetic energy I to those vitals is a really good idea; you're going to want to push that 6.5CM pretty much to it's limit, I'd say.

I'm certainly not in the camp of magnums-only-for-elk, but there sure are better options out there. Obviously it can be done, but elk are big. I remember being surprised by how big the first time I stood next to one. Dumping a lot of kinetic energy I to those vitals is a really good idea; you're going to want to push that 6.5CM pretty much to it's limit, I'd say.

Agreed, a SUV getting T boned by a Ford Fiesta verses a SUV T boned by a dump truck look drastically different. At the end one may be destroyed, the other is definitely destroyed.

Last edited:
I'll add some details on just elk kills for the 6.5's (6.5x47, .260AI, and 6.5 Creed) I've been shooting for the last several years. Muzzle velocities were between 2600 and 2820 on all.
--5x6 bull, 75 yds, 139 scenar, dropped instantly
--6x6 bull, 100 yds, 139 scenar, stumbled 20 yds, hit it again while moving, died instantly
--6x6 bull, 150 yds, 139 scenar, took 5 steps and died
--cow, 75 yds, 139 scenar (partner w/ my gun), dropped instantly
--cow, 200 yds, 147 ELDM, turned around and died
--spike, 175 yds, 147 ELDM (partner w/ my gun), dropped instantly
--cow, 125 yds, 147 ELDM, mediocre hit, ran 100 yds and hit it well, dropped instantly

That and punching through a pile of other deer/bears/antelope has led me to trust the 139 scenar (and the 147 to a lesser extent) as an excellent hunting bullet. If that's not enough data points it's the best I can do, I'm not that old, and I haven't killed everything with 6.5/.264's :)

There are lots of great chamberings and bullets for big game. I've learned not to blame poor bullet performance on a chambering. The OP asked what 6.5 bullets worked well for people on elk, hence my answer. If I went all-copper it would be for conservation reasons, not a lack of trust in my current bullet of choice.

Great info. Thanks. I know caliber selection preferences can vary with almost every shooter. Love the input on big game since I have only shot up to white tails. Most shots around here are close. 50-150yrds. We used to hunt with slug guns per the law. Hit deer with several slugs at close range and still had to go find them. Now we can use rifles and have been using a .243. Wife and kids got me the 6.5 last Christmas so I used it this year. I Like the rifle. Worked well. Thanks again

21560627-41FD-4914-971D-987EF37D6A3E.jpeg

If you’re going to use a bullet with lead in it, I’d go heavy. I shot mine with a 140 Elite Hunter before I could get my hands on any 156 EOL’s. If using a copper bullet, I’d lean toward something a little lighter because velocity seems to help out the copper bullets.

On my elk, the 140gr Elite Hunter worked fine. I don’t know that any other bullet, or even cartridge, would have done any better with the shot placement. The elk tasted just as good as if he’d been shot with a .338 Lapua. Even so, heavier is a good thing. A bullet in the 150gr range from a 6.5 should be bad medicine for an elk.

I shot my bull with this year with the 143 gr Hornady ELDX factory load. It was a quick kill at less than 200 yds, but the shot was also right on the money. It wasn't my first choice for elk but I fell pretty hard with my 06 the day before and went to the back up gun.

I hear people say they run into problems with the ELDX when they hand load and push it to faster speeds for long range and end up taking a close shot so keep that in mind. Ive heard claims that if you push that bullet too fast it can expand rapidly and get poor penetration at closer ranges. I didn't have that problem with the slower factory load coming out of the barrel at 2700 if I remember correctly. I got a complete pass through and based on the exit hole it looked like the bullet held together pretty well. I would use it again but I'm also pretty picky about shot placement.

There are lots of great chamberings and bullets for big game. I've learned not to blame poor bullet performance on a chambering. The OP asked what 6.5 bullets worked well for people on elk, hence my answer. If I went all-copper it would be for conservation reasons, not a lack of trust in my current bullet of choice.

Don't care what bullet you use in what cartridge, poorly placed bullet probably won't do anywhere near as good a job as a well placed bullet. 250gr bullet from a 338 mag poorly placed won't kill near as well as a 25 cal 120gr bullet properly placed. Bullet can get you where you want but you have to place it well. of course if your shooting a SAC missile at the animal, close is good enough! Don't blame poor proformence on the bullet, blame it on the shooter that didn't use properly the bullet he used! How far do you think a huge bull elk will go with it's neck broken with an 87gr 24 cal bullet? How about with a 200gr 30 cal bullet in it's guts. You fire the shot and you get the blame if the bullet doesn't work! Not the bullet! The #2, former world record grizzly was killed with a 22 long RF, the bullet did it's job!

I use the 140 AB and it works great for deer and pronghorn. Anything bigger than mule deer, I switch to my .300 win mag 180 gr e-tips. I don't plan on doing much tracking on my first bull!

I remember a video Wayne van Zwoll did about elk cartridges and mentions friends of his using .243 and .25-06 with great success on elk and emphasizing shot placement is what kills game. At my Wichita Mountains elk hunt you were required to use a .270 caliber or larger round to fill your tag. I'm sure they have valid reasons for this but it does leave a lot of fine calibers off the table. At the range I took my cow at a .30-30 would have performed as well as my .308. In an unrelated note I admire Wayne's unsupported prone technique and intend to practice that myself.

Bullet construction and shot placement are what’s important. The 6.5 isn’t a powerhouse at the muzzle but those long slick bullets retain velocity and energy pretty well and their sectional density is high so they’ll drive deep. I’d pick a hard 140 conventional ( not an ELDX) or a 130 mono as fast as I could drive them and shoot a lot.

I always used my 7 mags for elk, but I would not feel under-gunned with the Creed. There have been LOTS of elk and other critters killed with it. If I was going to hunt elk with one, I would lean toward a little more durable bullet. I really like the 147 ELDM, but I would not personally use it on elk-although some have. I would go with a Partition, Accubomb, or one of the coppers. I think that I would be looking at the 127 LRX, pushed as fast as your rifle will tolerate. Another one that is tough and mostly overlooked, is the 140 Interlock. That bullet will also kill just fine.

I have killed a lot of deer and some antelope with the Creed and .260, both. 6.5 bullets just plain work well. My personal favorites, are the 129 Interlock and the 147 ELDM, but I would probably not use either one for elk. I am currently experimenting with some Speer Gold Dot, 140 bonded bullets that would probably work real well on elk, too.

Lots of good choices out there. Just pick one that will hold together and shoot accurately in your rifle.
Hey, how did the Speer gold dots work out? What did you get for FPS?

Hey, how did the Speer gold dots work out? What did you get for FPS?
I killed five deer with them and never caught a bullet. The farthest one, was 253 yards. The bullet blew through both shoulder blades and the spine. Inch hole through the bone. I tried a bunch of loads and settled on Reloder 19 powder for 2740 fps. It seemed to me, when I tried to push them faster, the accuracy was not as good. They shot 3/4 moa at 400 yards.

I would not hesitate to use them on elk.

I killed five deer with them and never caught a bullet. The farthest one, was 253 yards. The bullet blew through both shoulder blades and the spine. Inch hole through the bone. I tried a bunch of loads and settled on Reloder 19 powder for 2740 fps. It seemed to me, when I tried to push them faster, the accuracy was not as good. They shot 3/4 moa at 400 yards.

I would not hesitate to use them on elk.
Mind if I ask what powder youre using? I bought some hedges H4350 to try. thanks

I drank the kool aid and got a 6.5 creedmoor for hunting. Loading 120gr ELD Match hornady bullets with Hodgens H4350 for whitetail. worked great. Was thinking of using this rifle to try Elk hunt. What loads are you guys using? Looks like 140gr eld-M shoot pretty good? Thanks SB

I use Hornady 143 gr ELD-X. Shoots great and bullet performs great on elk. Match bullets aren’t made for hunting, especially elk. They shoot great, but an elk shoulder blade would play hell on ‘em.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back