PEAX Equipment

elk hunting video of the future...

Are you saying the deer densities in the north are entirely dependant on wolves and densities in the south are due to a lack of wolves? Do you think there might be other reasons?;)

schmalts said:
Yep, and numbnuts, if you want to talk wolf population VS deer population impact you need to break the states herd population down only into units where the wolves live. Any child could have that much common sense
Pretty sure I mentioned that above. Do you have anything to show me on that subject? Other than, "everyone at the bar agrees with me...too many wolves are killing all the deer".:D

mtmiller said:
Pretty sure I mentioned that above. Do you have anything to show me on that subject? Other than, "everyone at the bar agrees with me...too many wolves are killing all the deer".:D
You can dig it up. its out there. But trust me, the "guys in the bar" are usually more accurate than the lame way the DNR "counts" deer. The guys in the norther bars are rednecks, and they are good hunters. Hell, some of them hunt deer 365 days a year :D You know you might be a redneck when your deer season lasts ............:D

mtmiller said:
Do you have anything to show me on that subject? Other than, "everyone at the bar agrees with me...too many wolves are killing all the deer".:D

The answer would be: No. ;)

Schamlts,

After doing a bit of research...and a quick phone call...I got this from my buddy.

He actually left Wisconsin in 1986 moved to Montana (Missoula) in 1987...sorry about my bad math. When he left Wisconsin, the area he hunted you could DRAW a doe tag every other year...he said if 4 people put in for a doe tag...maybe one or two would draw. You were allowed one deer per year.

According to your stats...it would appear that he was pretty close by saying the deer population has doubled since he left...maybe still a bit of stretch. I guess the population has only increased from roughly 1 million deer to around 1.85 million.

I concede that my buddy was in fact "wrong" when he said the population of deer in Wisconsin has "doubled"....not quite about 150,000 deer short of that.

Wolves have very little impact on deer in Wisconsin...FACT.

Oh, and Schmalts...

I guess the hunters in Wisconsin that live up north are too stupid to hunt where the deer are? Maybe instead of supplying me with a population map...take your map to the bar and show it to your redneck buddies...and please explain it to them...apparently they dont "get it".

Or it could be that they cant afford the gas for the '72 ford F250 with buckshot mudders and a backyard lift kit on it to travel a few miles South.

Either way, they need your help.

Wolves have very little impact on deer in Wisconsin...FACT.

WELL, might as well lock this thread.
He said "FACT".

JB,

I was just reinforcing what Schmalts already claimed.

Theres no way those wolves in WI would have time to kill 1.85 million deer when they clearly target 100 elk...

Its tough wading through all those whitetail to find an elk.

Buzz, heres the problem with your solution about the rednecks. The population problem is on private land. Most landowners are either locked up with family hunting, or leases. Thats where i said the landowners need a good education in QDM. But the poor rednecks wouldnt stand a chance in getting permission to hunt in the lower 1/2 of the state. Because our big game is pretty much limited to hunting deer, we take it serious and with the amount of hunters in this state no one wants more hunters than they already have for safety reasons.
Here is the truth, no shit, my land is in unit 58 on that map. In my area i would be truthfull to say there is more than one hunter per every forty acres of land within a 6 mile radius. That sucks, and thats why i do not like rifle hunting in wisconsin. Bowhunting is more to my liking here.
Sadly, because there is that many hunters the high population is welcome by hunters and they think the DNR is whack to think we need less deer. In some ways they are correct. If you look at the population map you see the post season numbers show that some of us have a good time here during the season. Hell we kill more deer every year than many states have live on hoof. Also the DNR seems to ignore the fact that we seem to no longer have "winter kill" like we used to. but, they refuse to lower the population goals saying there is not enough food for the deer. In some areas they are correct, but in the farmland the deer will always do fine in the winter. Hell its Xmas and we have no snow and havent seen a daytime temp under 35 here in over a week. that seems to be the trend for a long time. One ,more point.. the southwest part of the state didnt even get deer back in numbers until the early 80's. It seemed they were pretty much extint in that part of the state from overhunting in the old days. Ironic that Buffalo county is the #1 county in the world for producing B&C bucks, and didnt even have deer barely 25 years ago.

Schmalts...

You could also explain to them how a compass works...that way they wont get lost on the drive South.

Another handy reminder would be to let them know that typically North is located at the top of the map...South at the bottom.

Oh, and let them know that there are bars South of Green Bay...

schmalts said:
heres the deer population map. As you can see that the wolf habitat area is the lowest deer population and the fully developed farm country is where the deer population problem is.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/fall_deer_per_DR.htm

Schmalts, so you're saying that there are a lot more deer per square mile in the farm country to the south than in the woods country of the north? (that's what your map says, too) I wonder if there's any other reason besides wolves that could be the cause of that? Seems like the DNR would drastically cut back on hunting opportunity in the north if the deer are way below objectives because of the wolves. Is that what's going on?

Oak, your correct. The deer are thriving in the lower part of the state in the farm country. Same is true for Iowa as a whole. almost seems like they have adapted very well in the last couple decades. Used to be you had to go "up north" to deer hunt, not anymore. Now if you want kick ass hunting you go south or west in the state

hunttalkers: watch as the pack of wolves (oak mtmiller and alpha male buzz) circle the deer (schmalts) with their vicious fangs (facts) and muscle (maps). Its a slow death, with the deer giving a futile fight.... ;) :D

so is life on the hunttalk mountain.....

interesting thread...can't wait for the deer's next reply

Wyodeerhunter said:
hunttalkers: watch as the pack of wolves (oak mtmiller and alpha male buzz) circle the deer (schmalts) with their vicious fangs (facts) and muscle (maps). Its a slow death, with the deer giving a futile fight.... ;) :D

so is life on the hunttalk mountain.....

interesting thread...can't wait for the deer's next reply

Actually, as rumor has it, we wolves only take the weak and diseased.:D Not very filling, but easy meat (er small portion anyway).:D

ruger243223 said:
Heading up to MI for christmas and going to do some calling I was told there are wolves in the upper parts of MI. I think predation in the wild is just that, we need predators and prey for all to stay equal. I have no problem with wolves I think that the 210gr TSX in my 338RUM will be just fine for them. When does wolf season open anyways. :D :D Probably the same as here with the large cats, nobody knows how they got here and nobody knows how they end up dead with large holes in em! HAPPY HUNTING
Whoever told you there are wolves in the upper parts of michigan misspoke themselves, there are to many damn wolves in the U.P. I have personaly seen them and have friends who live in the trout creek area (Ontanogen county) and run bear dogs and have had several killed by wolves mostly in training season. Many other people have lost dogs to the poor wolf and when I was up there in september 4 dogs were killed in the Baraga plains by wolves. The deer populations have plumeted in areas and the good news is the wolves are doing great. In some respect I dont beleive in total anihalation but a balance needs to come to bear. I think we need a season to keep numbers in check we sure as hell need to control massive predation by wolves as we are their only predator. Im not so sure that the rumor of the antis wanting to introduce wolves to eat all the game doesnt have some truth to it. If they make it leagal to shoot wolves I may give the coyotes a repreive.

Schmalts,

It's fun arguing wolves with the rabid pack.....isn't it! I just got a big box of WI cheese yesterday in the mail from my parents who live in Darlington. Know where that is? A high school friend from there who farms shot a real nice buck this year and they saw another even bigger one. That part of the state is a shotgun area and for a good reason. It's been close to 20 years since I last hunted with them. Even back then, openning morning sun came up to a sea of hunter orange on the horizon. Western hunters are pretty lucky IMO.

So, what's it going to take to get the mutts delisted back there Schmalts? Or do you think it's possible at all?

BigHornRam said:
Schmalts,

So, what's it going to take to get the mutts delisted back there Schmalts? Or do you think it's possible at all?
When everyone else does. Wis DNR was pretty upset last couple years that the feds shut them down from shooting problem wolves. Last year they killed 38 of them before the feds stepped in. I think as soon as they are federally delisted it is hammer time.

Fun times! The debates on wolves always end up the same way...

They were wiped out for a reason,
I love this logic. Many of the critters we take for granted today were nearly wiped out for the very same reasons. How many deer, antelope, elk, turkeys, etc were around at the beginning of the last century? Not many... I understand that we all value different wildlife species differently, but this logic is lame at best.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back