MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk Hunter Missing in The Crazy Mountains

I just noticed that Cabela's has a 50% off mail in rebate until 11/16/14 on the SPOT Global phone, SPOT Gen2, and the SPOT Trace.

Which is best for my situation? I never hunt in areas with cell service. PBL, Spot or Delorne?

Which is best for my situation? I never hunt in areas with cell service. PBL, Spot or Delorne?
AFAIK none of these work off of cell towers. They use satellite communication. I don't think PLBs allow two way communication. Just an SOS, come get me I'm gonna die button. The Delorme inReach does allow two way texting and I think some of the Spot products do as well.

I have the inReach and will be activating it before heading to ID in a couple of weeks. IMO, the difference between Spot and inReach are a Chevy vs. Ford thing. They offer about the same services/capabilities for similar prices. Delorme does have a new device out that is a GPS and a communication device. Mine is old enough that I have to pair it with their PN series GPS. They also have models that can be paired with a smartphone.

I have used alot of satellite communications devices over the years, in that experience I have found that the Iridium Satellite network is the most reliable. DeLorme uses the Iridium network, and Spot doesn't.

I owned a spot for a couple of years, and I never had an issue with it. I do know people who have had issues with messages not going out, or going out very delayed, but I am sure they have been working to strengthen their network.

Based on my confidence in the Iridium system, I plan to get a DeLorme for next season. This season my only hunt left will be a relatively mild rifle hunt in WY, and we will have decent cell coverage. I probably should have had one on both of my September hunts.

I just got home from hunting the Crazy's from 9-14 through 9-22 and I'm not sure what to think about the lost hunter situation anymore. Some things just don't add up to me! While the Crazy's are indeed rugged, they are not extremely remote and desolate or overly expansive. With all the manpower there was out there searching, especially in the general area that nothing more than some of his belongings were found. I read in the paper, and online that two friends had radio contact with him on Sunday and Aaron said that he would probably not make it back to camp that night as he was not sure where he was. The post also stated that he had minimal supplies but would be heading for a cache of supplies in the sunlight lake area. he was also familiar with the area as he hunted it before. I'm confused in these statements for the fact that if you are lost then how are you going to head to your cache of supplies? It gets more confusing yet. I talked to (SAR) before going hunting and was told that the two hunting buddies waited two days before letting Aarons wife know that he was possibly lost. I was also told that there was some argument among the hunters and that the two hunters were not initially very helpful. Seems fishy to me, but we can only assume until evidence is found otherwise. I hope that he is found, so the family can move on best they can.

If he did die of hypothermia, it is very unlikely a PLB or SPOT or whatever would have saved. Him. Once that stuff sets in, you're dead within a few hours. I'd be surprised if a rescue team could have gotten to him in time.

This is exactly why my wife had me get my In Reach. It gives her peace of mind to stay in touch when I'm out of cell coverage and with the two way texting, I can be specific about what's going on during the hunt, instead of generic 'I'm ok' messages. It also came in handy for me to find out that she was very sick when I was elk hunting and needed to come home a couple of days early.

I ended up getting a Inreach after recommendations from here (John and others). I Used it for two weeks in the Colorado Wilderness and used the Spot for many years. IMO the Inreach blows the Spot away in so many variables there is no comparison.

Gander Mountain has a rebate going on for the Se model that's good for another couple days

This is exactly why my wife had me get my In Reach. It gives her peace of mind to stay in touch when I'm out of cell coverage. It also came in handy for me to find out that she was very sick when I was elk hunting and needed to come home a couple of days early.

Points on the board for CSEH 2014!!

I called the dispatch this morning to find out what the status was and they took my contact info for the ranger to call back, but I didnt realize until much later in the day when I called BLM that it was a federal holiday, so maybe I will hear back tomorrow.

Dispatch relayed the message, I have not heard anything since. I have checked news periodically, nothing.

I still wonder about this guy periodically. It's odd that (I'm assuming) they haven't found him. I wouldn't have thought with all the technology and manpower available that he would be impossible to find.

I was thinking about this the other day too. I assumed they may have found him and I just hadn't heard about it. Which I was hoping was the case.

I was thinking about this the other day too. I assumed they may have found him and I just hadn't heard about it. Which I was hoping was the case.
No, once the snow hits the ground he will be covered until spring. He may have just skipped town.

I have also wondered, several times meant to check back with Park County Sheriffs to see if they ever found him and I just missed the news or if something else came up and it was not reported, like maybe a joke gone too far, though I had expected that if it had been a joke it would have made the news the manpower hours and resources expended, that people should think before they pull stunts, but it wasnt.

I just called, as I dont like niggling loose ends in my brain, having wondered about his welfare and they never found him, he didnt turn up and it was not confirmed that it was any other scenario. Summer might shed some light on the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back