Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk Hunter Missing in The Crazy Mountains

One of the best things about the PLB's like wingman posted is that there is not a subscription plan or anything for them to work. You buy the device and that's it. No annual or monthly fees like with the SPOT and InReach.

Most of them have about a 5 year battery life until they need replaced.

The PLB's are for true emergencies only. You activate it and the emergency request goes straight to the search and rescue folks. Not like a SPOT or InReach where you can message your buddy or friend to come help you pack an animal out or something like that. Both the SPOT and InReach have a similar emergency SOS type button, but I think there is an extra step involved where SPOT or InReach have to then contact emergency help for you.

EDIT - Oh yeah most of these PLB's have more power than SPOT or InReach. 1 watt vs. 1/3 watt or something like that. In theory they should be more reliable.

Last edited:
Wingman,

Does that one PLB you recommend come with any search and rescue insurance like the SPOT does? I haven't looked into these as much as I should, but my parents have a SPOT.

One of the best things about the PLB's like wingman posted is that there is not a subscription plan or anything for them to work. You buy the device and that's it. No annual or monthly fees like with the SPOT and InReach.

Most of them have about a 5 year battery life until they need replaced.

The PLB's are for true emergencies only. You activate it and the emergency request goes straight to the search and rescue folks. Not like a SPOT or InReach where you can message your buddy or friend to come help you pack an animal out or something like that. Both the SPOT and InReach have a similar emergency SOS type button, but I think there is an extra step involved where SPOT or InReach have to then contact emergency help for you.
I have that PLB and that is a good price. npaden's summary is good; in addition the spot also can send out periodic updates of your position. This would be nice if you got in trouble in a deep canyon and couldn't reach the satellite since they would have a trail to your location. I wish I had bought one of those to keep my family updated, but was turned away by the $150/year subscription fee.

If you find yourself in trouble a SAR guy told me to turn on two devices if you have them. That way they know it is a real emergency and not an inadvertent turn on. They like the SPOT better than the inReach when they are on their search missions.

Hopefully this event will serve as a wakeup call to everyone to purchase one of these even if you don't hunt alone.

Last edited:
Wingman,

Does that one PLB you recommend come with any search and rescue insurance like the SPOT does? I haven't looked into these as much as I should, but my parents have a SPOT.

I'm not aware of the rescue insurance for ACR. I carry both the spot and ACR when flying and going offshore. I like the tracking ability of the spot so my wife can keep tabs.

I'm not aware of the rescue insurance for ACR. I carry both the spot and ACR when flying and going offshore. I like the tracking ability of the spot so my wife can keep tabs.

Since you have both, which one would you recommend, if, as a hunter, you could only afford one of them?

I know my wife would sleep better at night knowing I would have one of these in my pack.

I have that PLB and that is a good price. npaden's summary is good; in addition the spot also can send out periodic updates of your position. This would be nice if you got in trouble in a deep canyon and couldn't reach the satellite since they would have a trail to your location. I wish I had bought one of those to keep my family updated, but was turned away by the $150/year subscription fee.

If you find yourself in trouble a SAR guy told me to turn on two devices if you have them. That way they know it is a real emergency and not an inadvertent turn on. They like the SPOT better than the inReach when they are on their search missions.

Hopefully this event will serve as a wakeup call to everyone to purchase one of these even if you don't hunt alone.
FWIW, the subscription fees, at least for Delorme, have changed recently. They have now have a pay as you go type deal with their Freedom Plan
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

I've had an inReach for 2 years, but have never activated it due to subscription costs and not really going out of cell range the last few years. Fortunately two things of happened: 1. the price went down and 2. I'll be going on trips where I see the need to carry this thing! :D

I see several guys on here are curious to whats going on with the missing hunter... I just got back last night from a goat hunt in the same two drainages where they were looking for him. I watched the helicopters land and take off several times and got to visit with searchers and dog teams daily. On a couple different occasions we took a couple hours out of our day to ride through pockets of timber that they hadn't got to yet and they seemed appreciative. We shared our lunch and coffee and had nice visits with several different searchers even though the mood was slightly somber. The snow was completly gone by Friday and even high up the most they had was 3'' it was in the teens for the first two nights he was missing. As of yesterday morning they had not found a single clue to lead them to search any certain direction. the dogs had not picked up any scent and everyone seemed at a loss. After seeing the country in my opinion and the opinions of several search teams he had to have gotten hurt or something fishier is going on because if he was an avid outdoors man it would be pretty hard to get lost in trespass or cottonwood creek. According to the deputy sheriff they were going to search through Tuesday and then pull out. But that may have changed. Be safe out there this hunting season and good luck to all. Prayers to his family!!

Thank you earlybird, one for the report as well as helping out with searching a bit and keeping an eye out.

While I hope they find him, and yes the slim hope of alive, at least finding a body helps to give the family closure.

I see several guys on here are curious to whats going on with the missing hunter... I just got back last night from a goat hunt in the same two drainages where they were looking for him. I watched the helicopters land and take off several times and got to visit with searchers and dog teams daily. On a couple different occasions we took a couple hours out of our day to ride through pockets of timber that they hadn't got to yet and they seemed appreciative. We shared our lunch and coffee and had nice visits with several different searchers even though the mood was slightly somber. The snow was completly gone by Friday and even high up the most they had was 3'' it was in the teens for the first two nights he was missing. As of yesterday morning they had not found a single clue to lead them to search any certain direction. the dogs had not picked up any scent and everyone seemed at a loss. After seeing the country in my opinion and the opinions of several search teams he had to have gotten hurt or something fishier is going on because if he was an avid outdoors man it would be pretty hard to get lost in trespass or cottonwood creek. According to the deputy sheriff they were going to search through Tuesday and then pull out. But that may have changed. Be safe out there this hunting season and good luck to all. Prayers to his family!!

Thanks for the update. As hunters we all know how our plans can quickly change with the sound of a bugle or cutting a fresh track... I am guilty of it--- more than once I ended up a couple miles away from the planned ridge.
I would assume search and rescue has checked other areas as well.

Sad to hear that no luck in finding this guy. I think next year I will be owning the in-reach GPS

I think there is another element here to these devices that's a benefit from the bigger perspective, one which I have not looked at before because I havent needed any rescue, nor has anyone immediately close to me - the economics.

Just a short bit ago a friend's family member had a very serious injury in the wilderness and had to be airflighted out. They had a device and could get to the family member. This was my first red flag recently to rethinking this kind off device when I am out, especially by myself. The helicopter bill was quite a bit.

So when Greg Todd spoke of their resources on the phone, the cost of equipment, manpower hours, dog teams and such, sometimes just reading the news of rescue accounts, we dont think always think about the agencies expenses for such, probably more mentally and emotionally associating with the human factor. Todd's conversation brought to mind an incident a little over a year ago, also in Park County, near Livingston.

A hiker had gone out to a particular trail and did not return. He had been out there before. His car was found by a trailhead. They continued to search for 3 weeks. Turned out that it was a suicide. My son in law was part of the search efforts so I remember the updates and worry of his family and friends being relayed. But when the news came back that it was suicide, I went from worry and compassion to frustration. That man had not only caused his family and friends 3 weeks of grief ( I viewed his actions as being selfish), but also 3 weeks of search and rescue manpower hours and resources - which is not infinite.

Going to the FWP licensing meetings and similar agency budget reports recently, combined with the helicopter bill account, and this hunter event, I have begun to look at the personal social or community responsibility we should be bearing when we enter into the wild, not just for close friends and family that would worry (peace of mind), but for the rest of the citizens that pay or help to pay the cost, should an accident occur. Kind of like the discussions we had on the trashing (littering) of our public lands or what some "sportsmen" have done even to private lands they have hunted on.

I am not saying that a life is not valuable or putting a price or cap on such a life. I am talking about a small personal investment in prevention that could lessen the social/community economic/resource burden should an accident occur. Just my current thinking process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back